April 22, 2011..is..both Good Friday and Earth Day

Shortline Bus

Wow. Today is April 22, 2011. One is Good Friday and the other is Earth Day.

Most schools, and even Wall Street are closed today. So a strange mix of a semi holiday with Good Friday, a day most people believed that Jesus was crucifed, combined with a day began around 1970 to address our planet's enviormental issues.

Anyhow Happy Friday to all.

Today is like any other day, went to work and what made it a good friday was it was pay day. Also to celebrate earth day I polluted the air with diesel fumes and tossed my cigaretts out the window along with some garbage.

Ejecting objects out of a vehicle is a criminal offense, just a heads up.

- A

I observed earth day this year by starting a compost pile in the back yard. Over time i hope to use the compost to grow a food garden and fix the problems with our front & back yards' soil.

- A

So anyone remember either events today?

I only realized that it was Earth Day when I walked into Whole Foods to get my grub on my lunch break. I don't pay it much attention because I'm very green. I wasn't always this way until I watched a program about the amount of trash and garbage that we produce unnecessarily. Now I recycle everything possible. All of the plastic containers or whatever I eat out of from Whole Foods are cleaned at the office and then I bring them home with me and put them in the recycling. I buy toothbrushes that allow you to change the bristles thus allowing for less waste by not having to throw away the entire toothbrush, not to mention that it is cheaper pricewise than buying normal toothbrushes. I give old electronics that are still in good condition to friends or have them properly recycled or disposed of and I only use paper when necessary and recycle that when possible as well.

I think people are under the assumption that everything will last forever. Very naïve... :( In sum everyday is Earth Day for me. I admit that it is not easy and does take a bit more time, but it is a good feeling to know that I'm doing my part in taking responsibility for treating the place where I live with some level of respect and appreciating what it allows me to do.

Archived