Help me plan a summer subway project!

R160

Hey guys, I need some ideas for a subway project I would like to do for a couple weeks over summer. I get out of school on June 10 or something like that. My student meto card expires June 28 (or something like that) so I figured I would use all the rides.

The only thing is, I don't know what I wanna do. I do plan on taking pictures and videos, but I don't know what I'm going to take them of. My dad suggested going to the terminals for every line and taking pictures there, but I don't really like that idea simply because no one cares if its the terminal.

Can anyone think of another project?

Try busfanning instead. These days the subway have become extremely boring, and there are plenty of spots to photograph buses all over the city, you just gotta know where to look :(

Hey guys, I need some ideas for a subway project I would like to do for a couple weeks over summer. I get out of school on June 10 or something like that. My student meto card expires June 28 (or something like that) so I figured I would use all the rides.

The only thing is, I don't know what I wanna do. I do plan on taking pictures and videos, but I don't know what I'm going to take them of. My dad suggested going to the terminals for every line and taking pictures there, but I don't really like that idea simply because no one cares if its the terminal.

Can anyone think of another project?

Well i would suggest going somewhere that you havent been before

Well i would suggest going somewhere that you havent been before

Well I was hoping for something a little more elaborate than that. I want it to be a project...maybe like a book, slideshow, or something like that.

And I hate buses, so I'm sticking to the subway. :(

Well I was hoping for something a little more elaborate than that. I want it to be a project...maybe like a book, slideshow, or something like that.

And I hate buses, so I'm sticking to the subway. :(

well im not sure exactly what you would like to do, last year I made a website with all my subway photos, and now its been a project to get photos of every route and car type and i expanded it to commuter rail as well. Car assignment changes and reroutes and the fact theres much of the system I havent been to yet keeps it interesting.

well im not sure exactly what you would like to do, last year I made a website with all my subway photos, and now its been a project to get photos of every route and car type and i expanded it to commuter rail as well. Car assignment changes and reroutes and the fact theres much of the system I havent been to yet keeps it interesting.

Sounds like a good idea, but maybe too much for only 2 weeks...Plus I would never have time to update it when school starts again.

Thanks for the suggestion though! Hopefully it will give me (or someone else) a brainspark.

Why not do a NTT project checking out the new trains on the (2)(4)(5)(6)(E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R) and (Z), or do the old train search on the R-32s/42s on the (C) and (J), just two suggestions.

If I do one of your suggestions, it would definitely be the 2nd...I hate taking pictures of the NTTs.

Thanks!

Too bad it isnt good on the weekends, as right now RFW's are available on the R32 since everything's express from 59-Canal with the G.O. (roadbed replacement) south of Spring St. They are also starting one between 103-110 on the CPW, so a slow speed order will be in effect soon (no more blazing into 110 for awhile and I hope timers don't end up there when they're done). Keep a look out for any GOs going north on the CPW express on the weekends as well, that might be coming up, could be one of the last chances to get a RFW on the CPW express run.

As far as what to do with the summer... go photo log all the temporary platforms on the Brighton and Culver lines, or visit newly re-opened stations. Might want to get some pics in on stations in flux (like Lex-63) maybe start a multi-year project watching the transformation of that station from stacked sides (with hidden tracks) to stacked islands. Could take a visit to old stations too like City Hall (6) or the old South Ferry (5) or if you're lucky and the train going slow enough 91st (1).

Can do a tour of great vistas from the el's, going clockwise from the NW...

(1) 225st (Broadway Bridge)

(4) 167st

(2) 219st

(2)(5) between West Farms and E. 180

(6) Whitlock Av

(7) Queensboro Plaza

(7) Anything your RFW can pick up going north

(M) Myrtle-Wyckoff

(J) Marcy Av

(J) Anything your RFW can pick up on a R42

(A) Many varying viewpoints in the Rockaways

(3) between Junius and Pennsylvania

(L) Broadway Junction

(Q)(B) Pick your spot between Coney and Brighton Beach (don't forget that 6-track el, viewable best from Ocean Pkwy)

(F)(G) Smith-9, Kings Hwy got a good view of the Verrazano from afar.

(D) Manny B (north side)

(N) Manny B (south side), Astoria-Ditmars

(R) Time it right going north, get that lil piece of daylight, and if you're lucky, the top-down view of a (N) next to the freight tracks and if REAL lucky, top-down view of a R68A (N)

Thanks for the extensive list, though I got lost when you started talking about a top-down view of an (N)...

Anyway, I think I'm going to try to do something similar to Daniel The Cool's idea. The focus will be on one line and there will be a book/pdf explaining stations, abandoned stations/platforms, history of the line, current and previous rolling stock, etc.

Archived