Which do you favor? IND, BMT, or the IRT?

TrainFanatic

Yeah you are correct about that. I kind of neglected that fact.

Since 1967, it's hard to really categorize a line on the B Div. like (A) (:((C) etc. as IND or BMT. While there still are some lines that you can do that to, IDing a line (Brighton, Fulton, etc.) as IND or BMT is the only way you can really label a line by it's former company.

I have always like the IND, it wasn't until I was in high school that I really ever used the BMT. To this day I usually don't use that BMT and I never really have a need for the IRT.

I worked the IRT for my whole career...but from a fan's perspective I'll always have a fond spot for the BMT. From the old Atlantic Ave-Eastern Parkway- Fulton elevated complex to Broadway-Myrtle to the DeKalb interchange to Coney Island it made a child's imagination expand. The IND was fast and the IRT was interesting in some locations but the BMT had 9th Ave, Manhattan Bridge north and south, and an enormous complex at the now decrepit Chambers St municipal building station. It also had crossing gates at E. 105th St. I think the word I'm looking for is "character".

I can agree with you guys. I have ridden the (:P, and (D) for as long as I can remember. I rode it longer then I have rode the (W). The (W) was the only time I rode on a BMT lettered service due to the fact the Manhattan Bridge North Tracks were closed to repairs. I do have a good relationship with the IND lines and the former company by reading about the company.

Toss-up between BMT and IND for me. Can't stand the IRT lines. Small, squarish trains, giant, pushy crowds and way less variety in the types of subway cars used. Every IRT subway car fleet from R15 to R36 had the same overall look, while the post-R30 fleets varied in appearance. Large, left-side front rollsigns and stainless steel didn't run on A-Division rails until 1983 when the R62s first came in the scene.

The IRT also has the worst line designs of all three. Sharp curves that slow down trains are abundant. There are still useless tracks and switches from the long bygone era of short trains that decrease throughput. An at-grade junction slows down everything on the busiest line in Brooklyn.

The IRT also has the worst line designs of all three. Sharp curves that slow down trains are abundant. There are still useless tracks and switches from the long bygone era of short trains that decrease throughput. An at-grade junction slows down everything on the busiest line in Brooklyn.

That sounds just like the BMT....

That sounds just like the BMT....

I recall the DeKalb Avenue junction used to be at grade. They changed it to flying junctions. At Chambers Street, the at grade Manhattan Bridge tracks are no longer in service.

I recall the DeKalb Avenue junction used to be at grade. They changed it to flying junctions. At Chambers Street, the at grade Manhattan Bridge tracks are no longer in service.

Same with Myrtle-Broadway...