My Trip To Philadelphia Was a Success!

Luis1985

I just decided to take a random trip to Philadelphia because I've never actually been there before. Here is how the trip occurred:

i walked over to the Parkside Av, and took the R68A (B) train, got off at west 4 St and transferred to the R160B (E) train, and took that to 34 St-Penn Station. From there, i went over to the (NJT) New Jersey Transit Concourse and bought me a round trip ticket between NY Penn Station and 30 St-Philadelphia Station. The round trip cost $48.50. (way cheaper than Amtrak). Anyway, so my (NJT) Northeast Corridor Local train left NY Penn Station at 11:37AM, and arrived Trenton at 1:01pm, earlier than scheduled. Then i had to wait 44 Mins for the :septa: SEPTA train to depart. So 1:45pm came, and i boarded my :septa: (which had only 2 cars by the way) and took it out to Philadelphia. That ride was 43 mins. Once i got to Philadelphia, i couldnt believe it. it felt like a dream being that i barely travel outside NYC like that. (NJ doesnt really count, lol) I walked over to the Blue "Market-Frankford" line and bought 2 tokens. (yes, they still use tokens in Philly, along with those Look-a-like Metrocards.) i took the Blue Line train one stop over to 15 St-City Hall (train was flying in that tunnel), then transfered (for free) to the Orange Broad St subway Line, and took it 4 Stops to Tasker-Morris Station. From there, since i didnt want to feel weird or out of place, i took the Broad St subway back to City Hall, and exited the station. I walked over to the :septa: Transit Gallery, took a few pics, and walked over to the bus stop at 12 St-Market St. i boarded :septa: bus Route 44 (New Flyer bus 8162), took a paper transfer (the old school transfers the (MTA) used to give out) and took that bus over to the 30 St-Philadelphia Station. From there, at 4:54pm, my :septa: train heading back to Trenton was entering the platform. Once the train was there, i got on, went express and got off at Trenton St. (that train looked like it needed mechanical fix up because everytime the train stopped, you can smell the wheels rubbing on the tracks, and u can also feel the trains wheels running on the track.) Once i got to Trenton NJ, the (NJT) was supposed to pull out at 5:49pm, but instead we left after 6pm because of a police investigation at New Brunswick. That delayed us big time because we were supposed to be in Manhattan by 6:55pm at least. That didnt happen because a person threw him or herself onto a train that was arriving into the station at New Brunswick and died. The faster we kept going, the more we had to stop because of the incident.That held us back big time. at 7:19pm, the train finally pulls in at EWR. i was tired, i didnt want to be on the train anymore because we got held up again at EWR to let 3 Amtrak trains go thru. at 7:45pm, we arrive at Newark Penn Station, and since i couldnt take being on the train anymore, i got off, went to eat something, and boarded (NJT) NABI 108 bus to NY Port Authority Bus terminal. Once i got back to Manhattan, i took the R32 (C) train to West 4 St, transferred to the R68A (B) train, got off at Parkside Av, took Orion VII OG Hybrid 6612 and finally reached home.

im not going to say that i will never do this trip again because of all the delays and back tracking, but do wanna do this trip again. i had an amazing time. Pics will be in the next post. so please stand by for pics.

Next time think about taking Bolt or Megabus. It will be much cheaper and will get you to philly in 2 hours rather than the 3 or so the train took you.

true, except i dont mess with mega bus. i avoid them big time. never liked them, never will like them.

plus, i wanted to ride SEPTA for the first time. i found it pretty cool.

Next time, try taking River LINE to Camden for PATCO to Philly. Costs less than Regional Rail, plus you get a discount on the subway fare (buy roundtrip at PATCO station). If you're a diehard bus fan, try 319-551 to go via Atlantic City or take the NJCL to Asbury Park for a 4-hour local bus ride.

Other trip ideas in Philly:

MFL to 69 St, Norristown High Speed Line to Norristown, then train back

MFL to 69 St, Trolley to Sharon Hill (102) or Media (101) and train back

BSL-Bus 55 to Doylestown then train back

MFL to 69 St, Bus 113 to Tri-State Mall, then DART 1 to Wilmington then train back (or Amtrak back to NYC!)

Sounds like a fun trip, That NJT-Septa run is long and tedious, I don't think I could do it again lol, If I ever go back to Philly Hound or Boltbus it is! If I'm ever able to afford it I wouldn't mind taking Amtrak there, IMO, Amtrak is the best way there but the price is a killer though.

Dumb question. Next time (maybe later this month in May)I want to fan on SEPTA from Central(Downtown)Philly to King of Prussia mall? How do I get there and how long is the trip via I assume the subway or bus?

Take the MFL to 69th St, then NHSL to Gulph Mills, then transfer to a bus. Or, take express bus service from downtown (3 zones).

http://septa.org/maps/region/pdf/suburb.pdf

Dumb question. Next time (maybe later this month in May)I want to fan on SEPTA from Central(Downtown)Philly to King of Prussia mall? How do I get there and how long is the trip via I assume the subway or bus?

Go to 13th and Market [at SEPTA HQ, across from Macy*s] and pick up either/or 124 or 125 bus. Both buses serve the K of P mall but take different routes past Gulph Mills.

Chances are that you will get a 2010 New Flyer LFR [83-8400 series], they dominate the line.

Buy either a Convenience Pass [$7.00] or an Independence Pass [$11.00]. You actually save using the Convenience Pass on a round-trip since the cash fare [one-way] on the 124/125 is $4.00, round-trip is $8.00 and the Convenience Pass is $7.00, plus you have 6 more rides on it.

The Independence Pass is more expensive at $11.00, but you can ride the Regional Rail trains as well as transit so If you have all day, you can throw in a train trip as well. Just remember you have to kick in an extra $5.00 if you are going to Trenton, NJ, but if you are adventurous, Wilmington, DE has no such surcharge.

The travel time between Philly and K of P ranges from 50 minutes on a good day to 90 when the Surekill Distressway [i-76] is f*%@ed up [that's a DAILY occurrence].

true, except i dont mess with mega bus. i avoid them big time. never liked them, never will like them.

plus, i wanted to ride SEPTA for the first time. i found it pretty cool.

greyhound is cheaper!!!! they get wifi megabus what is wrong with them they are way better than chinatown!!!! and cheaper too The train made no sense unless you are going to a suburb in philly before 30th street

Awesome trip report and you got your feet wet in Philly. The "Trenton Shuffle" sucks though.

lol.

that ride back on NJT killed me though because of all the stuff that was happening. plus, before i left NY, there were already delays of 30-60 mins out of NY Penn because of a wire problem.

Next time, try taking River LINE to Camden for PATCO to Philly. Costs less than Regional Rail, plus you get a discount on the subway fare (buy roundtrip at PATCO station). If you're a diehard bus fan, try 319-551 to go via Atlantic City or take the NJCL to Asbury Park for a 4-hour local bus ride.

Other trip ideas in Philly:

MFL to 69 St, Norristown High Speed Line to Norristown, then train back

MFL to 69 St, Trolley to Sharon Hill (102) or Media (101) and train back

BSL-Bus 55 to Doylestown then train back

MFL to 69 St, Bus 113 to Tri-State Mall, then DART 1 to Wilmington then train back (or Amtrak back to NYC!)

amtrak is too expensive. thats why i didnt take it. but thanks for these other ideas. im planning a trip to go out there again just to go sight see and what not.

Nice pics. Luis you need to travel more outside of NYC more when you can. Not meant to brag but by 25 years old I had been to almost all of the USA and several countries as well.

lmao i know right? i wanna re-visit Massachusetts (Boston, springfield) and Maryland (Baltimore, and Washington DC) again. i also wanna visit Chicago, Los Angeles, Florida, Toronto, Texas, Rhode Island, and a few other cities as well. ima try to do it sooner or later.

Sounds like a fun trip, That NJT-Septa run is long and tedious, I don't think I could do it again lol, If I ever go back to Philly Hound or Boltbus it is! If I'm ever able to afford it I wouldn't mind taking Amtrak there, IMO, Amtrak is the best way there but the price is a killer though.

tell me about it. thats why i didnt even bother using Amtrak.

Archived