Best and Worst Subway Stations

subwaykid256

Funny because some of the reasons as to why you dislike Woodhaven Blvd make up some of the reasons as to why I find that station so interesting. I hope the idea of building express platforms never comes to light - I love the way those trains look and sound as they race through that curve. I know this sounds weird but especially if the t/o is standing and hunching over the controls as they race by, just adds to the vibe.

34th st Herald Sq is the worst station!!!

The platform and tiles look good but the entire complex smells like shit and piss and the trash cans are overflowing. I have to use this station everyday for my commute to school. I am seriously considering changing my commute just to avoid that station even if it would take longer to get to my school.

34th st Herald Sq is the worst station!!!

The platform and tiles look good but the entire complex smells like shit and piss and the trash cans are overflowing. I have to use this station everyday for my commute to school. I am seriously considering changing my commute just to avoid that station even if it would take longer to get to my school.

lol I agree. The part by the bathrooms smells the worst, and also at the end of the ramp (going down to 6 Avenue line) there are usually homeless people sitting there. I know last Friday I went over there. on rare occasion, the bathroom was open and I got to use it. The thing is the bathroom was flooded, & there was a homeless guy singing in the stall :(.

I hate the 14th street/6th Ave station in Manhattan. It is extremely confusing to navigate, there are rats and roaches on the platforms a lot of the time (especially on the F track), and crazies seem to like hanging out there and screaming their lungs out. It also often has one of those derelicts jamming the MVM's and selling swipes.

How is it confusing? Other than the long walk to the 7th Av IRT, it seems pretty strait foward with the 6th Av lines and (L) connections.

Best:

Times Sq-42 St./Port Authority (1)(2)(3)(7)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(A)(C)(E)

Penn Station-8 Ave (A)(C)(E)

Howard Beach (A)(JFK)

Worst:

Broad Channel (A)(S)

Anything on the Rockaways (A)(S)

14 St, 7th Ave, 6 Ave (1)(2)(3)(F)(M)(L) - Most annoying transfer ever.

Rockaway Park is being renovated, so it shouldn't look that bad. At least based from what I saw a few months ago.

It is not at all straightforward- since each of the F train tracks are separated from eachother, you have to take the correct staircase to each track, and the signs are poorly displayed. Plus to get to the F you need to pass through the L tracks and walk in the correct direction. I'm a native new yorker and got lost the first 2 or 3 times I used this station.

I remember some psychology professor did a study on people's inherent sense of direction in this station last year precisely becuase it has the reputation of being extremely confusing and disorienting.

Some of our subway stations and the various divisions (IRT, BMT, IND) were not often originally made to work together or to work together well. There have been modifications made over the decades to unify a transit system that was never designed to be unified. This accounts for some of "strangeness" of the access and transfer points.

The 14th Street-Sixth Avenue station is one such station. The Sixth Avenue station of the L-train 6th Avenue Station · opened on 9/21/1924. The Sixth Avenue station has an island platform and was the original Manhattan terminus of the Canarsie line from 1924 until 8th Avenue station was opened in 1931.

Of course the PATH trains existed there since 1908, the original IRT Sixth Avenue elevated line, and then the building and opening of the IND 14th Street station and trackage alongside the PATH tunnel in the 1930's. None of these facilities were actually meant to "work together" - but somehow the subway portions were made to work together. (Of course the removal of the IRT elevated Sixth Avenue line happened.)

Only the 14th Street station of the IND, and the 14th Street-Eighth Avenue station of the Canarsie line were built together, and thus from the ground up were made to work together. This is a very important point to keep in mind - as one talks about the ability to transfer from one line to another.

Just a thought.

Mike

That station disgusts me. Its the only subway station I know of with its own body odor.

I went through the station last month for the first time in five years. And you're right, it still had the same horrible odor I remembered. The nearby station that smells worse, however, is the 33rd Street PATH station. At times it is like it's connected neighbor to the nth degree.

Makes your eyes want to tear up.... :cry:

Best Stations

Most of the El stations on the (7)

South Ferry (1), Whitehall (R)

14th Street Union Square (4)(5)(6)

Grand Central (4)(5)(6)(7)(S)

145th Street (3)

125th Street (1)

Worst

Canal St Complex (Too many stairs :P )

Herald Square

Most stations on the (G)

Roosevelt Island, 57th Street (F)

Times Square (Mostly the transfer to 8th Ave. Line)

Chambers St.

Best

Times Square-42 Street

Atlantic Ave-Pacific Street Complex (2)(3)(4)(5)(:P(D)(N)(Q)(R)

33rd Street (6)<6>

Fulton Street on the (2)(3)(J)(Z) Platforms (Not the (A)(C) & (4)(5) Platforms)

All the BMT Broadway Line Stations between Prince Street to 28 Street (N)(Q)(R)

Worst

Bleecker Street (6)<6>

Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets (A)(C)(G)

Chambers Street (J)(Z)

I like the stations at Roosevelt and 74th, Lexington and 53rd, Grand Central Station, Union Square for their artworks and designs.

I dislike any station with multitudes of steps and ramps and twisted-ass paths that you have to follow, but as it was mentioned before, our subway wasn't meant to be unified in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say the worst station is the Nostrand Ave station on the Fulton Street Express. I remember one time I was transferring from the A platform to the C local platform downstairs. Not only did that section smell horrible, but the source of the smell was an exposed bag of rotting garbage that permeated the air. Nasty.

YEAH! I hold my breath rolling through that station! ...half of the (G) line as well! Smells like mildew with that underground, constantly-running stream.

I feel any Station that has a Tunnel is the best .59St yes -East Bdwy Oh yess

I feel Chambers is a Nostalgic station from my POV and to me that station is really a Favorite.

Any station without a Escalator going up is BAD Bad -Like Smith 9 or 125 -1line booooo

Archived