President Obama to birthers: Here's my long-form birth certificate, 'I'm a citizen'

Shortline Bus

Regardless of the notion that this should have been done earlier... I really don't see what difference it would have made....

What does it matter.... The racist whites will still view him the same way anyway...

Weren't those the main ones claiming that he's not American....

There is no logic in ignorance.

I don't get who it is he's (really) tryna shut down/shut-up, by (further) proving he's a citizen.....

He should be more focused in cleaning this country....

up.

He was doomed from the start. The blacks (at the beginning) didn't care for him. He was "one of them" before because he's mixed and then he had to go and make a big speech about his background before they accepted him. That in and of itself is pathetic, like he has to choose a side. LOL

Now that he's "chose a side" (LOL), most blacks can't find any fault in him because it's like hey look at all of the white presidents that have f*cked us over, so why can't a "black man" (even though he's biracial in my eyes) f*ck us over? The folks that did vote for him, especially minorities thought "Oh, he'll do everything for minorities". He'll fight for gay rights, make life better for blacks and other struggling minorities and basically he'll just turn things around in the snap of a finger. That shows the ignorance that most folks had, but he is also to blame because he made far too many promises that he nor anyone else for that matter simply can't keep and got everyone's expectations up. The thing is this time folks were actually listening and remembered because times are so bad right now w/the sh*tty economy and such, plus because he's a "black man", the feeling was that he can do no wrong. LOL

ALL men can and do lie, regardless of their background. When will people stop being so damn naïve??

So wanting to know if Obama is a naturalized American is racist? The fact that Obama avoided the question is what raised skepticism about where he was born. No president should be elected without showing the public that he/she was born here.

My sentiments exactly... The question hasn't been such an issue because of the fact that most of our presidents were brought up and raised on American soil and as far as I'm concerned, someone holding a position as high as the presidency should be an American. Simple as that. We do enough catering to foreigners as it is here. Oh, no we can't be protectionists. Oh no we can't have tough immigration laws because we're the U.S. and we have to appease everyone. Load of BS.

Guys (waving my short 14-inch shoe size lol) what about this question I raised about John McCain below?B):eek:

Guys being fair Obama former camapign rival in 2008, Sen. John McCain was born in I think Panama on an US Military base.

This whole Obama 'birther' controversy needs to move on. Plus the constustion needs to revised to clarify the birth issue to becoming President.

Too Bad the powers that be in Congress can't agree on what to order for lunch let alone fix the country's fiscal crisis.

That's because people aren't doing their homework, as usual. People frequently sppek on subjects they know absolutely nothing about. If you review Obama's record through his entire first term, you will see he has done a great deal for our country. I follow politics very closely, and his acoplishments far outweigh the cons. By miles!

I'm also the type of person who feels as if I don't have to prove anything to anyone when I know it to be true. I would have played the game with them as well! (reguarding the birth cert.)

I can barely count how many times I have posted fact based info on this site and others that came under fire. I usually just ride it out and let the eventual documents do the talking for me.

Anyone who say's "why did I elect him again?" in my opinion couldn't possibly be following the man's progress. I can think of at least 10 of his accomplishments off the top of my head. And if for one second, anyone who doesn't know EXACTLY why he passed through the Republican tax cuts, maybe they need to learn how to read between the lines. Quite a few of his accomplisments have affected me in very positive ways. In about 90 days, I will reveal what I am talking about!

And Obama didn't get everybody's hopes up. Said people did. The hole we are in which was exacerbated by Bush will take a VERY long time to correct.

Clearly you can't blame everything on Bush, but I guess people don't realize that employment has increased every quarter since he has taken office.....

But that is only one of a dozen reasons I will continue to support him. I could go on and on. The question SHOULD be, What grave harm has he caused the country? But I'm sure I won't get an objective accurate response to that here! Lol.

I would be willing to put up $1 Million to the contrary at any time! Anyone who thinks he will not be pres until 2016 is in for an extremely rude awakening! Hell, If they were to elect president to day, the people will have already spoken! So says the polls in EVERY outlet.

That whole healthcare package that he rammed down our throats pissed me off. Regardless of his intention, he has no right to tell Americans that they must buy healthcare, even if they can't afford it. That bill should've been discussed more and instead it was pushed through. Even folks from his own party weren't wild about it. That certainly isn't democracy to me. :tdown:

Guys (waving my short 14-inch shoe size lol) what about this question I raised about John McCain below?B):eek:

Waving my shorter 13-inch size shoe (lol), I don't see the problem. You yourself stated that he was supposedly born in Panama on a US military base.

Aside from getting rid of "Don't ask, don't tell" Obama has done nothing differently then Bush. They might as well be the same.

There's still the 2 wars we have going on (Bush did it) and the economy to clean up (Bush had someting to do with it), which IMO is getting better

There's still the 2 wars we have going on (Bush did it) and the economy to clean up (Bush had someting to do with it), which IMO is getting better

Bush didn't start two wars all on his own. I wouldn't go that far. He had the support of others like Colin Powell to get that pushed through, so let's not forget that and the economy was actually doing alright for most of his presidency considering what happened with 9/11 and other factors. This is coming from someone who voted for Ralph Nader and Bob Barr...

Are you going to blame Bush for the high gas prices too because if that's the case, how do you explain the high gas prices under Obama?? B)

So wanting to know if Obama is a naturalized American is racist? The fact that Obama avoided the question is what raised skepticism about where he was born. No president should be elected without showing the public that he/she was born here.

No, but the fact of the matter is that ist seems to be a great deal of people againt hom soley because he is Black. Those types feet that their country has been "stolen" from them.

He was doomed from the start. The blacks (at the beginning) didn't care for him. He was "one of them" before because he's mixed and then he had to go and make a big speech about his background before they accepted him. That in and of itself is pathetic, like he has to choose a side. LOL

Now that he's "chose a side" (LOL), most blacks can't find any fault in him because it's like hey look at all of the white presidents that have f*cked us over, so why can't a "black man" (even though he's biracial in my eyes) f*ck us over? The folks that did vote for him, especially minorities thought "Oh, he'll do everything for minorities". He'll fight for gay rights, make life better for blacks and other struggling minorities and basically he'll just turn things around in the snap of a finger. That shows the ignorance that most folks had, but he is also to blame because he made far too many promises that he nor anyone else for that matter simply can't keep and got everyone's expectations up. The thing is this time folks were actually listening and remembered because times are so bad right now w/the sh*tty economy and such, plus because he's a "black man", the feeling was that he can do no wrong. LOL

ALL men can and do lie, regardless of their background. When will people stop being so damn naïve??

My sentiments exactly... The question hasn't been such an issue because of the fact that most of our presidents were brought up and raised on American soil and as far as I'm concerned, someone holding a position as high as the presidency should be an American. Simple as that. We do enough catering to foreigners as it is here. Oh, no we can't be protectionists. Oh no we can't have tough immigration laws because we're the U.S. Load of BS.

OMG! Come on! "The Blacks!" Are you serious? (Not to mention I HATE that effin phrase!) Didn't care for him because he was mixed? The the biggest pile of bullshit I have heard all day! True a small minority felt that way. Besides, most of the people you talk about that said "he isn't one of us" are just as racist as some of the people who were calling for his birth certificate! Racism comes in all colors my friend!

I'm black, white(italian), rican and cherokee. But I'm an American first! That shit doesn't define who I am. I've had all types of racial slurs thrown at me! And from each and every culture I listed above! My favorite, is "oh, he's not black, he's Nigga-rican." Look at his hair!" But people will always judge a book by it's cover. Nothing new at all!

Why do we have to be black, white, hispanic asian or otherwise? When will just be people! Oh yeah, NEVER!

I get labled in circles automatically! I am very vocal about who I am and where I came from, but there is absolutely no need to choose sides! Obama "identifies" more with his African heritage. Is that wrong? I Identify more with my Black and Puerto Rican heritage. Those are the cultures I was raised in. My grandfather who is Italian was raised around predominately black and hispanic neighborhoods. How you are raised gratly impacts who you will become.

And where the hell did he choose a side??? Did you just make this up out of thin air, or did you get it from Fox (NOT) News?

I distinctly remember him saying he embrased both his culture, even though his black family members were NOWHERE in the picture! He frequently talks about his white upgringing and the fact that he is what he is today because of them!

Wow!! Dare I ask what you were referring to with the first part of that comment??:eek:

As for the second part, it's US territory, so I doesn't count.

Bush didn't start two wars all on his own. I wouldn't go that far. He had the support of others like Colin Powell to get that pushed through, so let's not forget that and the economy was actually doing alright for most of his presidency considering what happened with 9/11 and other factors. This is coming from someone who voted for Ralph Nader and Bob Barr...

Are you going to blame Bush for the high gas prices too because if that's the case, how do you explain the high gas prices under Obama?? B)

Who the hell started them then??? The economy was doing alright??? True...... Please show me these numbers for Bushes term! We slid into a ditch from 9/12/01 through 2008! The economy was doing alright because Clinton just left! Bush should be credited for allowing big business and Wall Street, and outsourcing to thrive, while he let mainstreet to crumble. Dare I even mention Katrina or Detroit? EPIC FAIL!!! PLEASE start looking up facts before you post. Colin Powell?? ROFLMFAO! He jumped ship as soon as the shit hit the fan! But I guess you missed that one in all the rhetoric too huh?

Gas prices??? I take it you don't know the markets too much either...... That being said, with all of your education, I know you took Ecomomics in HS and college right? It's 2011, and we are just getting back to $4 a gallon gas.....

I remember paying $4.56 for gas in brooklyn in 2008!

NEXT BUS PLEASE!

Who the hell started them then??? The economy was doing alright??? True...... Please show me these numbers for Bushes term! We slid into a ditch from 9/12/01 through 2008! The economy was doing alright because Clinton just left! Bush should be credited for allowing big business and Wall Street, and outsourcing to thrive, while he let mainstreet to crumble. Dare I even mention Katrina or Detroit? EPIC FAIL!!! PLEASE start looking up facts before you post. Colin Powell?? ROFLMFAO! He jumped ship as soon as the shit hit the fan! But I guess you missed that one in all the rhetoric too huh?

Gas prices??? I take it you don't know the markets too much either...... That being said, with all of your education, I know you took Ecomomics in HS and college right? It's 2011, and we are just getting back to $4 a gallon gas.....

I remember paying $4.56 for gas in brooklyn in 2008!

NEXT BUS PLEASE!

So you don't want to admit that Colin Powell was there talking about these "weapons of mass destruction" that to my knowledge have never been found? Sure, NOW he has regrets the whole thing, but there was indeed a time when he backed Bush. That you can't deny.

As far as the economy goes, I guess that depends on how you were doing. Me personally my financial situation didn't change much while Bush was in office. However, some folks like you may have been hit hard while Bush was in office. My point was that when you think about what we went through w/9/11 the economy did start to rebound for some anyway.

As far as gas goes, when you consider that we're still in a deep recession, the fact that gas is now near or around $4.00 under Obama's watch is a big red flag because demand overall hasn't even reached its peak yet this year.

OMG! Come on! "The Blacks!" Are you serious? (Not to mention I HATE that effin phrase!) Didn't care for him because he was mixed? The the biggest pile of bullshit I have heard all day! True a small minority felt that way. Besides, most of the people you talk about that said "he isn't one of us" are just as racist as some of the people who were calling for his birth certificate! Racism comes in all colors my friend!

I'm black, white(italian), rican and cherokee. But I'm an American first! That shit doesn't define who I am. I've had all types of racial slurs thrown at me! And from each and every culture I listed above! My favorite, is "oh, he's not black, he's Nigga-rican." Look at his hair!" But people will always judge a book by it's cover. Nothing new at all!

Why do we have to be black, white, hispanic asian or otherwise? When will just be people! Oh yeah, NEVER!

I get labled in circles automatically! I am very vocal about who I am and where I came from, but there is absolutely no need to choose sides! Obama "identifies" more with his African heritage. Is that wrong? I Identify more with my Black and Puerto Rican heritage. Those are the cultures I was raised in. My grandfather who is Italian was raised around predominately black and hispanic neighborhoods. How you are raised gratly impacts who you will become.

And where the hell did he choose a side??? Did you just make this up out of thin air, or did you get it from Fox (NOT) News?

I distinctly remember him saying he embrased both his culture, even though his black family members were NOWHERE in the picture! He frequently talks about his white upgringing and the fact that he is what he is today because of them!

I don't know about you, but I sure as heck remember that whole Jessie Jackson debacle with him talking about what he wanted to do and yes, there was indeed a time when he did not have the support of blacks because of his biracial background. You're welcome to deny it, but I remember it quite well and watched him campaign from start to finish. You could perhaps argue that it was partially the media that kept bringing up his mixed background and whether or not blacks would support him, etc. I said that he "chose" a side because he was forced to. The media didn't give him much of a choice and you know that that was sort of the underlining thing in the black community IMO. Is he black or is he one of them (meaning that if he referred to himself as biracial or mixed he would be seen as one of them) and Jessie Jackson with his snide remark caught on CNN brought that whole issue to light. LOL Sure, he's talked plenty of times about his mixed background, but he still refers to himself as being an African-American even though he's half white, so at the end of the day, that's how he sees himself and he admitted that himself.

That first paragraph is just not true.... The black community were FOR Obama before he got elected, based on his "black" skin color alone... A lot of "us" were on that "We in power now" "We finally got a Black President" BS before he got elected.... Via, when the black community first heard about Obama, there wasn't a single thought of him being mixed... I'm not sure where (or who) you got that from.....

Furthermore, Obama didn't choose a side.... it was chosen for him.

The reality is, the black community right now could give enough of a f*** about the guy (similar situation w/ Tiger Woods, but that's neither here nor there)... There is a feeling of letdown.... Now a lot of "us" feel as if, he's the continuation of George W. Bush - the darker version...

That part of the post was just filled with assumptions....

I don't know about you, but I sure as heck remember that whole Jessie Jackson debacle with him talking about what he wanted to do and yes, there was indeed a time when he did not have the support of blacks because of his biracial background. You're welcome to deny it, but I remember it quite well and watched him campaign from start to finish. You could perhaps argue that it was partially the media that kept bringing up his mixed background and whether or not blacks would support him, etc. I said that he "chose" a side because he was forced to. The media didn't give him much of a choice and you know that that was sort of the underlining thing in the black community IMO. Is he black or is he one of them (meaning that if he referred to himself as biracial or mixed he would be seen as one of them) and Jessie Jackson with his snide remark caught on CNN brought that whole issue to light. LOL Sure, he's talked plenty of times about his mixed background, but he still refers to himself as being an African-American even though he's half white, so at the end of the day, that's how he sees himself and he admitted that himself.

Jesse Jackson is a racist himself... Jesse Jackson feeling the way he does about Obama doesn't equal Blacks not supporting Obama... Hell, the black community called out Jesse Jackson's BS looonggg before the name "Barack Obama" became known.... so if it's anyone that wasn't being supported during that exchange (or w/e you wanna call it), it was Jackson....

Anyway, I would like to know what time you're referring to... b/c I can't recall it.

His mixed background wasn't brought up in the media, until his dissupporters brought up the possibility of him not being an American Citizen.....

So you don't want to admit that Colin Powell was there talking about these "weapons of mass destruction" that to my knowledge have never been found? Sure, NOW he has regrets the whole thing, but there was indeed a time when he backed Bush. That you can't deny.

As far as the economy goes, I guess that depends on how you were doing. Me personally my financial situation didn't change much while Bush was in office. However, some folks like you may have been hit hard while Bush was in office. My point was that when you think about what we went through w/9/11 the economy did start to rebound for some anyway.

As far as gas goes, when you consider that we're still in a deep recession, the fact that gas is now near or around $4.00 under Obama's watch is a big red flag because demand overall hasn't even reached its peak yet this year.

He's a Republican! Who the hell did you think he was going to back? I consider myself black too, so what does that mean??? My financial situation wasn't affected that much during his term either. If you are marketable, then you are marketable. Obviously neither you or I worked in any of the millions of jobs that were lost quarter over quarter.

As for Obama being voted for because he was black goes without saying!!! There was a sence of pride surrounding his whole presidency that you may not be able to relate too.

And do you even know why Jesse Jackson said he wanted "to cut the Niggaz balls off?" You do know he was a Clinton suporter right?

That first paragraph is just not true.... The black community were FOR Obama before he got elected, based on his "black" skin color alone... A lot of "us" were on that "We in power now" "We finally got a Black President" BS before he got elected.... Via, when the black community first heard about Obama, there wasn't a single thought of him being mixed... I'm not sure where (or who) you got that from.....

Furthermore, Obama didn't choose a side.... it was chosen for him.

The reality is, the black community right now could give enough of a f*** about the guy (similar situation w/ Tiger Woods, but that's neither here nor there)... There is a feeling of letdown.... Now a lot of "us" feel as if, he's the continuation of George W. Bush - the darker version...

That part of the post was just filled with assumptions....

Thank you!!! I ran out of thanks for the day! Yeah, everyone has a limit on them. Even us!

You put that much better than I did!

Jesse Jackson is a racist himself...

Jesse Jackson feeling the way he does about Obama doesn't = Blacks not supporting Obama.....

The black community called out Jesse Jackson's BS looonggg before the name "Barack Obama" became known.... so if it's anyone that wasn't being supported during that debate (or w/e you wanna call it), it was Jackson....

Anyway, I would like to know what time you're referring to... b/c I can't recall it.

His mixed background wasn't brought up in the media, until his dissupporters brought up the possibility of him not being an American Citizen.....

Remember some people will never get the picture till they see the flash!

Jesse Jackson is a racist himself... Jesse Jackson feeling the way he does about Obama doesn't equal Blacks not supporting Obama... Hell, the black community called out Jesse Jackson's BS looonggg before the name "Barack Obama" became known.... so if it's anyone that wasn't being supported during that exchange (or w/e you wanna call it), it was Jackson....

He's a Republican! Who the hell did you think he was going to back? I consider myself black too, so what does that mean??? My financial situation wasn't affected that much during his term either. If you are marketable, then you are marketable. Obviously neither you or I worked in any of the millions of jobs that were lost quarter over quarter.

As for Obama being voted for because he was black goes without saying!!! There was a sence of pride surrounding his whole presidency that you may not be able to relate too.

And do you even know why Jesse Jackson said he wanted "to cut the Niggaz balls off?" You do know he was a Clinton suporter right?

Thank you!!! I ran out of thanks for the day! Yeah, everyone has a limit on them. Even us!

You put that much better than I did!

Remember some people will never get the picture till they see the flash!

During that time, I was following the elections via CNN, and they did do a lot of this who is voting for Obama nonsense based along racial lines, more times than I'd care to remember, so perhaps this is where I'm getting it from and it was them that brought up the whole are blacks going to vote for Obama especially when Jessie Jackson was busted on the air making his comment. I think my point was that in spite of the media, I'm no dummy. I'm sure Jessie Jackson wasn't the only one with those sentiments towards Obama in the black community and that was my point. I think what sickened me about that whole campaign in general was how things were decided moreso on racial lines and less so about the issues at hand and who was the best candidate for the position. I still remember when Hillary was running against him and how the media kept talking about how Latinos wouldn't vote for a black man because they were voting for Hillary in droves. LOL I actually did consider voting for him at certain points in the campaign and then based on his stances on certain issues decided against it.

This issue has been solved years ago. Its bullshit to insinuate that the President avoided the issue for the mere fact that there has been overwhelming evidence that shows he was born in Hawaii. So yes, at this point it is very racist.

During that time, I was following the elections via CNN, and they did do a lot of this who is voting for Obama nonsense based along racial lines, more times than I'd care to remember, so perhaps this is where I'm getting it from and it was them that brought up the whole are blacks going to vote for Obama especially when Jessie Jackson was busted on the air making his comment. I think my point was that in spite of the media, I'm no dummy. I'm sure Jessie Jackson wasn't the only one with those sentiments towards Obama in the black community and that was my point. I think what sickened me about that whole campaign in general was how things were decided moreso on racial lines and less so about the issues at hand and who was the best candidate for the position. I still remember when Hillary was running against him and how the media kept talking about how Latinos wouldn't vote for a black man because they were voting for Hillary in droves. LOL I actually did consider voting for him at certain points in the campaign and then based on his stances on certain issues decided against it.

You are stating the obvious to a certain degree, but you gave yet to grasp the picture. Jackson is totally irrelivant. B35 via Church already touched on that.

As for the Latino aspect, you are very right. It's called life! You also have millions of Latinos who voted for Obama as well. Tens of thousands of them in their 30's, 40's, and even 80's had never voted before a day in their lives! I can't even begin to count how many I know personally.

First of all, you have the first president in the history of the western world who is VISUALLY of African and Caucasian decent. That in itself is monumental! I personally know plenty people who were White, Latino, Asian, and Republican who voted for him partially because he is "Black." All of them aren't going to say it either, but if you can't read people, it's not blatantly obvious!

It's the world we live in. Did I vote for him because he is black? Not at all! I voted for him because he is brilliant, captivating, and formidable.

But you damn well better believe he got some "Affirmative Actions" points from me!:(

You have to factor in demographics and everything else. The most controversial part of him being president, is the fact that he's "Black!" Period, and Point Blank!

This issue has been solved years ago. Its bullshit to insinuate that the President avoided the issue for the mere fact that there has been overwhelming evidence that shows he was born in Hawaii. So yes, at this point it is very racist.

That was never the issue at all. The Republicans just wanted to start some crap. Yes, obviously some of them are racist, but it's bigger than that, and always has been. He's the damn president! Anyone with half a brain knows the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, Secret Service, MI-5 and Interpol have been through his dirty underpants.

I don't even know why we are having this conversation!:confused:

I actually think Obama helped recover the economy, and is doing a good job, but wasn't he supposed to close Guantanamo?

I'll posts those figures tomorrow.

And I dont thing he should close it because it has a stigma. The people are suspected terrorists.

That was never the issue at all. The Republicans just wanted to start some crap. Yes, obviously some of them are racist, but it's bigger than that, and always has been. He's the damn president! Anyone with half a brain knows the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, Secret Service, MI-5 and Interpol have been through his dirty underpants.

I don't even know why we are having this conversation!:confused:

Its beyond me. There are real points one can criticize the President on, but this is all a stupid distraction to pander to a fringe group.

I'd be impressed if you can manage that, but it's a good idea. The way I see it:

Faux News - lunatics

MSNBC - progressive Liberals

CNN - centrists, Conservatives

New York Times - centrists

New York Post - very Conservative, bordering on Faux quality

Daily News - very Conservative

You could stay moderately informed off the New York Times, I think. Good luck. CNN you'll still hear about the Tea Party for ratings, and all the others have a slant (although in the case of MSNBC, I agree with them :().

What amazing is that when CNN was owned by Ted Turner and before fox news and MSNBC came along around 1995-'96, it was considered a 'progressive liberal' news outlet. However since they were the only major 'national/international' cable news outlet for a while, Turner would hire 'consertative' commentators like Pat Buchcan on staff.

Back to Obama. The 2012 election is IMO going to be much easy to predict unlike '08. It comes down to the economy boys and girls. Provided there is some improvement in Nov. 2012, Obama wins re-election easy.

Incumbent President don't lose that often. The GOP field looks very weak.

If the economy is in the crappy state when GW Bush left in Nov.2008, i.e higher unemployment, $5.00-plus gallon gas prices & inflation then almost anyone in the GOP field can win.

Birtherist response highlights racial undertones of ‘debate’

By Rachel Rose Hartman

Wed Apr 27, 5:34 pm ET

During the 2008 campaign, questions about John McCain's birth in the Panama Canal Zone on a U.S. military base prompted some to ask whether McCain was eligible to be president, since the Constitution stipulates that anyone not born in the United States is not eligible to be president.

Amid a flurry of news reports, McCain's own campaign announced in February 2008 that it was conducting an investigation. When a bipartisan pair of lawyers announced the following month that McCain was indeed eligible, the issue virtually died--apart from a Senate resolution that pretty much laid the question to rest by attesting to the facts surrounding McCain's birth and citizenship.

But the winner of the 2008 election, Barack Obama, has faced a relentless campaign questioning his U.S. citizenship--and thereby the legitimacy of his presidency--that has disregarded the facts.

Questions regarding Obama's birth certificate have persisted for more than two years, as the president noted Wednesday at a press conference announcing the release of his long-form birth certificate. A vast array of evidence attests to Obama's citizenship--including a certificate of live birth, signed affidavits from people who viewed Obama's long-form birth certificate, confirmation by Hawaiian officials, and independent investigations by news outlets. Nevertheless, "this thing just keeps going" as Obama said this morning. Even after the White House released the long-form certificate of Obama's birth, birther leader Orly Taitz—who has filed unsuccessful lawsuits seeking to obtain access to Obama's birth certificate—sought to cast doubt on the document's authenticity, suggesting that in 1961, Hawaiian officials would have classified Obama as "Negro" rather than using designation "African," which suggests, in her view, a more contemporary concern for "political correctness."

So what's fueling the dogged questioning of Obama's origins? Many critics of the birther movement say its core tenets--and its stubborn resistance to evidence disproving those beliefs--can be traced to racial hostilities. The fundamental birtherist conviction, these critics say, is that an African-American can't have legitimately won the presidency--and that his elevation to power therefore has to be the result of an elaborate subterfuge.

"There is a real deep-seated and vicious racism at work here in terms of trying to de-legitimate the president," Peniel Joseph, a professor of history at Tufts University, told The Ticket.

"This is more than just a conspiracy," Peniel added. "I think this is fundamentally connected to white supremacism in this country."

Miami Herald columnist Leonard Pitts Jr. in early April called for the connection to be publicly drawn between birthers and racism: "So it is time to call this birther nonsense what it is--not just claptrap, but profoundly racist claptrap."

And columnist Michael Tomasky wrote for The Guardian Wednesday that the birther conspiracy "had to be the only explanation for how this black man got to the White House." He added: "And if you think race isn't what this is about at its core, ask yourself if there would even be a birther conspiracy if Barack Obama were white and named Bart Oberstar. If you think there would be, you are delusional."

In a similar vein, Rev. Jesse Jackson told Politico yesterday that Donald Trump's campaign to get Obama to release his birth certificate is deeply rooted in race.

"Any discussion of [Obama's] birthplace is a code word," Jackson said. "It calls upon ancient racial fears." Jackson later added that, in his view, Trump "is now tapping into code-word fears that go far beyond a rational discourse."

Birthers emphatically deny such criticism. But it's difficult to apprehend the ongoing resistance to proof of Obama's citizenship without crediting racial fear as a significant factor. At first, after all, many adherents of birtherism argued that the administration fueled speculation by failing to release the long-form version of Obama's birth certificate, but now that this version has been released to the public, the call continues to go out for other kinds of information about Obama's past to be released--a level of scrutiny that neither McCain nor Obama's 43 predecessors in the Oval Office were expected to face.

Trump, who has railed against Obama as he floats himself as a presidential contender, on Wednesday at a press conference in New Hampshire called for Obama to release his academic transcripts:

The word is, according to what I've read, that he was a terrible student when he went to Occidental. He then gets to Columbia. He then gets to Harvard. I heard at Columbia he wasn't a very good student. He then gets to Harvard. How do you get into Harvard if you're not a good student. Maybe that's right or maybe that's wrong. But I don't know why he doesn't release his records. Why doesn't he release his Occidental records?

Trump and others have accused Obama of not authoring his memoir, while many Obama detractors continue to argue he is secretly Muslim. Both Jackson and Peniel noted that never before has a sitting president's nationality been questioned.

Meanwhile, an eye-opening recent study from the University of Delaware appears to confirm that race-minded detractors of Obama view him as "less American"--as Dan Vergano writes for USA Today.

The study, which surveyed blacks and whites on their opinions of Obama compared to Vice President Joe Biden, found that whites classified as "higher prejudice-predicted Whites" viewed Obama as "less American"--a view that, in turn, resulted in lower evaluations of the president's performance.

"Finally, many in the media have speculated that current criticisms of Obama are a result of his race, rather than his agenda. We believe that the current results are an empirical demonstration that this is sadly the case," the study concluded in its analysis. "As the United States approaches important decisions regarding issues such as economic reform, health care, and overseas military interventions, the intrusion of racial attitudes in the evaluation of political leaders' performance is ironically inconsistent with what many believe to be 'American.' "

Two separate national polls conducted this spring found that about half of Republicans don't believe Obama was born in the United States.

But Democrats and Republicans alike say that "birther" talk will be a political liability for whoever propagates the discussion.

"I don't think it's an issue that moves voters," Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus told reporters Tuesday. "It's an issue in my opinion that I don't personally get too excited about, because I think the more important question is what's going on in this country in regards to jobs, to debt, and the deficit and spending. Those are the things that people are worried about. People aren't worried about these other issues."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110427/ts_yblog_theticket/birth-certificate-wont-end-race-related-attacks-on-the-president/print

Faux News - lunatics

MSNBC - progressive Liberals

CNN - centrists, Conservatives

New York Times - centrists

New York Post - very Conservative, bordering on Faux quality

Daily News - very Conservative

All bullshit, just wrapped in different ways.

Emblematic of the political state of our country today.

A black Democrat is put into office, and for the first time in recent history, there is actually a movement to claim he's not eligible to be president. And this movement takes on strength, working with the Tea Party, a majority of which were once quoted as agreeing with "blacks could be as successful as whites if they worked harder." Then, the man who calls an entire ethnicity "The Blacks" decides he's going to push this cause even further.You tell me racism is dead in this country.

Finally, Obama is forced to undertake the struggle -- waste of time, really -- to release the certificate. [in case you're wondering, the reason it wasn't released previously is because Hawaii does not give its citizens a long-form certificate, and did not wish to break this code, as that would be a violation of trust to its people -- that one person got to have his certificate merely because of his position.]

I should be surprised at this country, but I'm really not, at this point.

Am I missing something here?? What exactly is so terrible about saying "The Blacks??" People say "The Whites", "The Asians" etc, etc. so what is the difference here?? Folks get upset if you say Afro-American or African-American or black so I don't know what to use anymore. :eek:

Archived