FDR Drive North of 23rd?

Gorgor

Are buses not allowed to use the FDR Drive north of 23rd? (Not talking about up in the 100's where the M98 uses it)

Is there a height issue with all of the enclosed portions between 42nd and 90th streets? I've been looking at some of the Staten Island and Brooklyn express buses and notice that even if they're going to Midtown they use the exit right before 23rd street so that they can make a left under the FDR. Are they unable to use the one at 34th because of the height issues? If so then what about the 42nd street exit?

According to the 1976 bus map, there was an X23 that got on the FDR to go downtown at 79th and got off at 61st street going uptown. What buses were used back then and how were their heights compared to the current express buses? I remember that the X90 and X92, even when they were using the regular buses with the comfortable seats, got on and off the FDR right south of 23rd. Did something change since the 70s because the X90/X92 should have gotten off at 42nd if height was an issue.

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/bus-1976man2.jpg

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/bus-1976man4.jpg

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/bus-1976man5.jpg

And the last time I drove on the FDR I remember the height limit that was posted going southbound at 61st street was 11 feet and some inches (I forget exactly).

And is there a place or a list somewhere that says the heights of all the different buses?

Are buses not allowed to use the FDR Drive north of 23rd? (Not talking about up in the 100's where the M98 uses it)

Is there a height issue with all of the enclosed portions between 42nd and 90th streets? I've been looking at some of the Staten Island and Brooklyn express buses and notice that even if they're going to Midtown they use the exit right before 23rd street so that they can make a left under the FDR. Are they unable to use the one at 34th because of the height issues? If so then what about the 42nd street exit?

According to the 1976 bus map, there was an X23 that got on the FDR to go downtown at 79th and got off at 61st street going uptown. What buses were used back then and how were their heights compared to the current express buses? I remember that the X90 and X92, even when they were using the regular buses with the comfortable seats, got on and off the FDR right south of 23rd. Did something change since the 70s because the X90/X92 should have gotten off at 42nd if height was an issue.

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/bus-1976man2.jpg

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/bus-1976man4.jpg

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/bus-1976man5.jpg

And the last time I drove on the FDR I remember the height limit that was posted going southbound at 61st street was 11 feet and some inches (I forget exactly).

And is there a place or a list somewhere that says the heights of all the different buses?

The FDR was reconstructed in the 1980s, reducing both height and weight limits. The low is at 61 Street with a 9'6 clearance. Weight limit is 8000 lbs in certain spots, including at 96 Street. The reconstruction also destroyed the X61 ridership base (Wall Street to Riverdale). Buses are supposed to get off at 23 Street northbouund because of the weight restriction, but some buses go up to 34 Street.

Are buses not allowed to use the FDR Drive north of 23rd?

Nope.

I remember when the X90 (formerly X23) used the 63rd Street on-ramp to enter the Drive. The reconstruction, and the resulting reroute and increase in running time, marked the beginning of the end for the X90's ridership levels.

(Not talking about up in the 100's where the M98 uses it)

That section north of 125th is called the Harlem River Drive.

All buses, trucks, and other big vehicles going north on the FDR must get off at 34 St (exit 8).

So why do most buses (except QM downtown routes) use the FDR only south of 23rd? Is there some special restriction between 34 and 23?

So why do most buses (except QM downtown routes) use the FDR only south of 23rd? Is there some special restriction between 34 and 23?

I guess to beat the traffic since 34 St can be a total nightmare most of the time. My job overlooks the highway between exits 7 (25 & 23 Sts) and 8 (34 St)

I remember when I rode old X90 bus stop when it was using soft-seat Orion V bus, I remember bus exit FDR Drive North at 42nd St.

When I was ridding with American male roommate or old checker taxi he had, he was driving northbound and I spotted RTS bus on soutbhound lane in 60s before ramp change.

Wait if there's a weight limit then how come I always see these huge school buses going southbound from around 72nd at least all the way down? I'm pretty sure they weigh more than 8000 pounds...

They could get a ticket if caught. There are no permits for large school buses on the FDR in that section.

In order for bus service in this region to better compete with cars we really need to redo our entire infrastructure and eliminate ALL low clearances and weight restricted bridges from our Highways seriously PARKWAYS= EPIC FAILWAYS!!!!!!

our parkways need to be redone for buses to use them that way they can directly compete with cars in a way they cant today. especially if traffic is to be alleviated in manhattan the FDR needs to eliminate all those weight restrictions they kill potential for more direct bus routes that can use highways.

I could never figure out why they made Manhattan's highways for cars only. Both of them! Like the Interstate buses have to go up traffic streets all the way to the Bronx, or cut through New Jersey. I don't think any other city is like that.

I share the same thing, but on a slightly different note. I can never figure out why they didn't successfully create a Mid-Manhattan Expressway (I-495) underground alignment for nowdays connecting the Queens-Midtown to the Lincoln to ease conjestion in local Midtown streets, like create only 2 Manhattan Exits (one on the East Side [around 2nd or 3rd Aves.]/one on the West Side [around 9th or 10th Aves.]). No wonder Midtown and Downtown are always clogged.

If that happened 34th Street could be converted to bus and taxis only lane.

Well, the dedicated and divided BRT lane would work, and 34th St. could be converted to a Single-Direction Ave. (at 6th Ave.) however Taxis shouldn't enter Bus Lanes. However I still would not support a who avenue turned into a bus corridor. As for FDR, yeah clearence and weight restrictions, really wished the restrctions weren't there, totally would be taking those Express Babies...

first I would reconstruct the FDR AND eliminate all low clearances then get rid of weight restrictions and add a BRT lane on the manhattan highways. all funded by congestion pricing and gas tax increases in manhattan and a parking tax seriously if u in manhattan u dont need a car!!!!

I share the same thing, but on a slightly different note. I can never figure out why they didn't successfully create a Mid-Manhattan Expressway (I-495) underground alignment for nowdays connecting the Queens-Midtown to the Lincoln to ease conjestion in local Midtown streets, like create only 2 Manhattan Exits (one on the East Side [around 2nd or 3rd Aves.]/one on the West Side [around 9th or 10th Aves.]). No wonder Midtown and Downtown are always clogged.

Mid-Manhattan Expwy was originally planned as an elevated highway, had it not been for the whining about the Cross Bronx, it would have been built, as would have been the Cross Brooklyn Expwy/Lower Manhattan Expressway complex.

first I would reconstruct the FDR AND eliminate all low clearances then get rid of weight restrictions and add a BRT lane on the manhattan highways. all funded by congestion pricing and gas tax increases in manhattan and a parking tax seriously if u in manhattan u dont need a car!!!!

And how do you plan to fund all that with? Monopoly money? Parking garages already charges like $7+ an hour. "People in Manhattan don't need a car to get around" - to some degree true, But what about people from other boroughs going into Manhattan? Why should they be punished? Not everyone can take mass transit to get to Manhattan. And if they were shopping, you can't expect them to carry all that stuff on the train or bus.

And how do you plan to fund all that with? Monopoly money? Parking garages already charges like $7+ an hour. "People in Manhattan don't need a car to get around" - to some degree true, But what about people from other boroughs going into Manhattan? Why should they be punished? Not everyone can take mass transit to get to Manhattan. And if they were shopping, you can't expect them to carry all that stuff on the train or bus.

MTA express bus runs for a reason!!!! But u have a point about the shopping thing though. small tax increases federal highway dollars can help too

Archived