FDR Drive North of 23rd?

Gorgor

I would agree to an idea to possibly link the Manhattan Bridge to Holland tunnel via an overpass above Canal*. Of course there's an issue of how it has to have ramps to get on and off it.

*Then again not sure if people in that area would like having a highway block out the sunlight. Tunnel would have to go deeper than the subways, so not sure if that's an option.

I disagree about the idea to toll riders east of the East River. It isn't our fault that we have to cross thru Manhattan to get to Jersey and the rest of the US. Maybe you can have it set up where people are tolled for staying in Manhattan. And if the person is just bypassing Manhattan to cross into Jersey, they should be reimbursed for the charge.

I would agree to an idea to possibly link the Manhattan Bridge to Holland tunnel via an overpass above Canal*. Of course there's an issue of how it has to have ramps to get on and off it.

*Then again not sure if people in that area would like having a highway block out the sunlight. Tunnel would have to go deeper than the subways, so not sure if that's an option.

I disagree about the idea to toll riders east of the East River. It isn't our fault that we have to cross thru Manhattan to get to Jersey and the rest of the US. Maybe you can have it set up where people are tolled for staying in Manhattan. And if the person is just bypassing Manhattan to cross into Jersey, they should be reimbursed for the charge.

How about just charge $5 both ways except for one of the bridges. If people are too cheap to pay then they can experience extra traffic while saving some bucks. It's ridiculous how the city has so many possible huge money makers that they could use but don't and then claim that they're so broke. And if you need to travel to Jersey daily then how about move there and get a house half the cost and twice as big.

I find it kind of ironic about you making that comment given how you've complained about the loss of the x90. Why don't you just walk over to the next bus stop?

The point that I agree with is to cut down on Manhattan bound car traffic and forcing ppl to take mass transit. However, if people wants to just pass thru Manhattan, then they shouldn't be punished for it. If it was so simple, they wouldn't be charging so much for the VZ bridge just to get from Brooklyn to Jersey via SI. I would be in favor of a thruway over canal to connect the Manhattan Bridge to Holland tunnel. Then you can clear the surrounding streets of all the cars lining up to get into the tunnel.

Yeah, originally it was, and it would actually be a big part of the NorthEast United States infrastructure.

1) We are not talking about FDR. But, yes I would renovated the FDR using cost effective ways but do eliminate the low clearences and weight restrictions as long as it's safe.

2) Congestion pricing is meant to fund the (MTA) while eliminating the Payroll tax. I would only accept conjestion pricing if NYC/NYS decides to put in place a future plan of the Mid-Manhattan Expressway (and maybe the Lower Manhattan Expressway). Gas and Parking tax, I would not accept since u have horribly high Gas Prices and Parking Rates. However, putting more meters/muni-meters and slapping double or triple parking fines would do.

3) The reason is because redirection traffic to the Bronx/Uptown and Staten Island is simply not feasable and creating outrageous tolls would not do as well. It is not about travelling within Manhattan, it's about travelling thru Manhattan and the greater Northeast with convienience and balancing traffic.

4) Some people do use cars because simply the LIRR/NJT is not sufficient enough to meet certain demands. Especially 9-5 workers who travel during peak hours and want a seat while paying the cost of Peak Fare.

those ppl will have a monthly which is immune to peak fare premium

It is NOT about Manhattan alone, look at the big picture, Northeast United State and Canada... Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. all have expressways going right thru the heart of the city, Manhattan only a disconnected loop - FDR, Harlem River and Henry Hudson and a Trans-Manhattan Expressway all the way up in the 170's, simply a lot of people use I-495 as an Expressway as well as NJ-495, not only to get into Manhattan but travel elsewhere. A chunk of the traffic is from people crossing Manhattan, not travel and stop in Manhattan. I've studied numerous traffic patterns, obviously the Queensboro/Queens-Midtown -> Lincoln traffic including the Williamsburg/Manhattan Bridges -> Holland Tunnel traffic, some even avoiding the Cross Bronx/Trans-Manhattan/GWB jam and crossing the Throggs Neck/Bronx-Whitestone and Triboro-RFK to get into Midtown Manhattan only to conjest that area.

Simply improving Public Transit convienience is one thing, improving Automobile Travel is another. I know everything costs huge bucks, but the government could cut back itself to save money for such infrastructure improvements, they could also do what they like to do (refer to #2 on my previous post) while also cutting down reasonably themselves. Also, they could still implement tolls on the East River Bridges (maximum $5.50 inbound, free out bound)/Harlem River Bridges (maximum $2.25 inbound, free outbound). Simply charging the equivalent of an Express Bus ride on the East River and and Local Bus ride on the Harlem River. Simply sitting here denying and putting more burden on taxpayers, businesses and more, as well as charging outrageous amount of toll is not gonna help, finding ways to improve our infrastructure is the main thing.

Honestly, New York Metro Area has the worst automobile (and possibly rail/except Subway. SIRTOA & PATH) infrastructure in the NorthEast USA, Boston, Philly, DC all seen major improvements without NIMBYISM overpower. Our city is breaking down sadly...

NYC does it I think intentionally to punish motorists Even I think its wrong

first I would reconstruct the FDR AND eliminate all low clearances then get rid of weight restrictions and add a BRT lane on the manhattan highways. all funded by congestion pricing and gas tax increases in manhattan and a parking tax seriously if u in manhattan u dont need a car!!!!

MTA express bus runs for a reason!!!! But u have a point about the shopping thing though. small tax increases federal highway dollars can help too

You seem to flip between being in favor of rapid transit and being in favor of the pedestrian car. According to your previous posts, you don't think it's wrong to punish motorists. And basically what you're saying is basically eliminating ALL traffic in Manhattan, including taxis.

I find it kind of ironic about you making that comment given how you've complained about the loss of the x90. Why don't you just walk over to the next bus stop?

What do you mean walk over to the next bus stop? The only bus that I could take in the morning would be the crosstown bus to Lex, but since so many people are trying to get on in the morning it's faster to walk.

My point was that NYC seemed to be favoring motorists rather than punishing them, by making all of Mnhattan's lengthwise highways car only (yes, I know the two crosstown highways were killed ny nimbyism, but it's the lengthwise highways that make commercial vehicles have to travel up to almost 10 miles on the crowded streets). It seems more like they are punishing trucks, buses and other commercial vehicles.

You seem to flip between being in favor of rapid transit and being in favor of the pedestrian car. According to your previous posts, you don't think it's wrong to punish motorists. And basically what you're saying is basically eliminating ALL traffic in Manhattan, including taxis.

not quite right taxis are the majority of traffic in manhattan I favor creating ways to make mass transit faster by pushing car traffic somewhere else via manhattan expressway then TOLL it let the ppl use NJT and LIRR to get through to pay less. With EZpass only tolls those with cash pay more via mail in fee of $10 plus toll. Extra fees for drivers will fund improvements to highways so buses can use them fully!!!

With EZpass only tolls those with cash pay more via mail in fee of $10 plus toll. Extra fees for drivers will fund improvements to highways so buses can use them fully!!!

They would never make a toll booth with no cash lanes and make people without it pay a hefty fine. That's not right. Just keep it how it is now, with cash people paying a dollar or two more almost everywhere.

They would never make a toll booth with no cash lanes and make people without it pay a hefty fine. That's not right. Just keep it how it is now, with cash people paying a dollar or two more almost everywhere.

It is already done in California on some HOT lanes. The Henry Hudson Bridge has been retrofitted with the technology to do just that. If the East River bridges are tolled, there will be no cash toll booths. Drivers will get a bill in the mail.

It is already done in California on some HOT lanes. The Henry Hudson Bridge has been retrofitted with the technology to do just that. If the East River bridges are tolled, there will be no cash toll booths. Drivers will get a bill in the mail.

Yeah, that's fine and it really should be like that everywhere. He was just proposing fining drivers $10 extra for not having EZPass which is just absurd.

beyond stupid cash ppl slow things down they deserve to PAY MORE!!!! seriously get an EZpass if u dont like it!!!! Everyday our highways are killed by ******** who want to pay with cash. Let all cash lanes be eliminated and let non ezpass holders pay more period if u dont want to pay get an ezpass and keep quiet or use mass transit.

Yeah, that's fine and it really should be like that everywhere. He was just proposing fining drivers $10 extra for not having EZPass which is just absurd.

It's beyond absurd. It's borderline retarded.

beyond stupid cash ppl slow things down they deserve to PAY MORE!!!! seriously get an EZpass if u dont like it!!!! Everyday our highways are killed by ******** who want to pay with cash. Let all cash lanes be eliminated and let non ezpass holders pay more period if u dont want to pay get an ezpass and keep quiet or use mass transit.

What is it with you and your hate for the automobile? Did you get hit by a car?

Cash holders are already paying a dollar or two more in most places. I'm just saying that making it a broader difference such as $10, which would make them pay nearly triple the amount EZPass users would pay in most places is just absurd. And who cares about the cash users? Make them wait in those long lines which should eventually drive them insane and switch over to EZPass. :P

:tdown:

Cash holders are already paying a dollar or two more in most places. I'm just saying that making it a broader difference such as $10, which would make them pay nearly triple the amount EZPass users would pay in most places is just absurd. And who cares about the cash users? Make them wait in those long lines which should eventually drive them insane and switch over to EZPass. :P

uhh NO!!!!!! They hold up ALL TRAFFIC THEY WONT STOP till they get ripped off!!!! Let them pay 3 times as much thats the punishment for slowing down traffic!!!! a well deserved punishment. CASH NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM TOLLS PERIOD!!!!!!! BURN THEN SO HARD they will never come back with cash again!!!!!

They make everyone miserable and they need to be punished!!!!! ur too soft grow some BALLZ!!!!

:tdown:

uhh NO!!!!!! They hold up ALL TRAFFIC THEY WONT STOP till they get ripped off!!!! Let them pay 3 times as much thats the punishment for slowing down traffic!!!! a well deserved punishment. CASH NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM TOLLS PERIOD!!!!!!! BURN THEN SO HARD they will never come back with cash again!!!!!

They make everyone miserable and they need to be punished!!!!! ur too soft grow some BALLZ!!!!

Do you remember this post of yours?

You're obviously not in favor of the motorist. You're saying that it's okay to punish motorists when it's your idea of punishment. Why is it that people with cash have to pay much more in your eyes? If they want to pay a little extra to use cash, why not let them? It's putting more money in the pockets of the MTA. Isn't that punishment enough?

To those who propose gouging the non-EZ pass motorist I have a question. Say you're a tourist or business person driving from DC to Boston, Hartford, Maine, Albany or somewhere north of NYC. Maybe you do this once or twice a year max. The rest of the year you stay home in NC, SC, GA, or somewhere in that part of the country. Are you trying to force me to get an EZ Pass to make your commute quicker? I drive around in the Orlando area twice a year. Should I get a pass for Florida's highways? I say no. I say if a person wants to pay in cash let them. They're already paying more than you are and probably subsidizing YOUR ride in the long run.

It's beyond absurd. It's borderline retarded.

What is it with you and your hate for the automobile? Did you get hit by a car?

DUDE I think u mistook my post Its not to be against cars its just that cash payers slow things down too much while ezpass is best and is faster in this day and age tolls should no longer allow cash as it slows things down that is what I am saying

To those who propose gouging the non-EZ pass motorist I have a question. Say you're a tourist or business person driving from DC to Boston, Hartford, Maine, Albany or somewhere north of NYC. Maybe you do this once or twice a year max. The rest of the year you stay home in NC, SC, GA, or somewhere in that part of the country. Are you trying to force me to get an EZ Pass to make your commute quicker? I drive around in the Orlando area twice a year. Should I get a pass for Florida's highways? I say no. I say if a person wants to pay in cash let them. They're already paying more than you are and probably subsidizing YOUR ride in the long run.

well maybe 10 is too much maybe $5 extra is more reasonable for non ezpass ppl

I mean pay per toll pass Let the pass be cheap or free then load it with the money to go through tolls or establish a nationwide EZpass program so tolls can be faster maybe I should of said this earlier but that was what I wanted to say earlier

Do you remember this post of yours?

You're obviously not in favor of the motorist. You're saying that it's okay to punish motorists when it's your idea of punishment. Why is it that people with cash have to pay much more in your eyes? If they want to pay a little extra to use cash, why not let them? It's putting more money in the pockets of the MTA. Isn't that punishment enough?

I meant CASH payers not all motorists but the CASH ppl who slow things down and make driving a living HELL AT RUSH HR

I meant CASH payers not all motorists but the CASH ppl who slow things down and make driving a living HELL AT RUSH HR

Well still, not everybody needs a bloody EZ-Pass. There are also plenty of free ways to get from borough to borough. (except Staten Island)

Archived