5 Boro Bike Tour–Traffic Hell in NYC

Amtrak7

What are the plans for the 5 Boro Bike tour? It looks like it will be impossible to get from west of 6 Av to east of 6 Av without going down and around via the Battery Park Underpass.

Plus the BQE will be closed, but that can be bypassed. And thank god they didn't act like the stupid organizers of the marathon and close off the entire VZ bridge-only one level in one direction.

What are the plans for the 5 Boro Bike tour? It looks like it will be impossible to get from west of 6 Av to east of 6 Av without going down and around via the Battery Park Underpass.

Plus the BQE will be closed, but that can be bypassed. And thank god they didn't act like the stupid organizers of the marathon and close off the entire VZ bridge-only one level in one direction.

NYC is a transit city for a reason

No more disruptive than the NYC Marathon, which could be even more disruptive.

Some of the 6th Avenue subway stations allow you to go in from one side of 6th Avenue and exit through the other side of the street without paying a fare. Problem solved.

No more disruptive than the NYC Marathon, which could be even more disruptive.

NYC Marathon is actually a bit easier if you think about it: they use 1 Av so less crosstown traffic is disrupted, they don't use the highway but rather 4 Av. And they avoid lower Midtown/Downtown.

The only downside to the marathon is the VZ bridge closure (PA toll money, anyone?)

I think another mistake!

FAIL! They post it X27 X28 included on delay/detour! These buses are cut Weekend.

Another thing that is really annoying is that they said several of the Staten Island buses were supposed to be re-routed and didn't say where, including some of the local buses!! :mad:

I didn't want to risk taking car service and wasting $10.00 and not getting the X10 over by the service road, so I just got on an (S48) on Forest and Clove and took it over to Forest & Willowbrook for an X10 there. I was thinking that we would be re-routed via NJ, but luckily we weren't as the Verrazano was open. There are several detours on the X1 and X10. The X10 is detouring on 14th st and then taking 3rd Ave from there up to 57th. There there's another detour on Broadway because of some sort of run, so they will have to be re-routed along Water St. more than likely. I would imagine from past detours that the X1 is turning onto 14th st and going up 8th Avenue from there and then coming across 57th to come back around on Central Park South.

(MTA) need to post detour route up for NYCT, MTA Bus and Long Island Bus.

They should post detour during SNOW Emergency, well as Thanksgiving or New Years Eve, right?

I asked the B/O when I got off of the X10 down on 14th and 5th going to the city if he would be detouring going back Downtown and he didn't even know. He said they would probably detour via Water St. Going back I caught the 17:30 X10 and we get to Liberty and Bway and the B/O doesn't know where to go since Bway was blocked for some sort of event. We sat there a good 5-10 mins then he sees an X1 behind us and runs over to the B/O to find out what sort of detour we could take. We made a right on Liberty, right on Trinity, left on Murray and over to West St and took the Battery Tunnel from there, so basically anybody at the last few stops were left stranded. :P

I was thinking we were home free when suddenly coming into Bay Ridge we were stopped in our tracks by the traffic. It was after 18:00 but apparently they must've been slow in re-opening the lower deck of the Verrazano. Took almost 15 minutes from Bay Ridge to Fingerboard Rd. :P

But I think it's ridiculous that they post info on the website without specifying where the detours will be when they have advance notice! All of these events were planned well in advance so there was no reason why the passengers and the B/Os had to be in the dark. Terrible planning as usual by the (MTA). I'm going to file a complaint and just see if that helps at all because it was ridiculous not knowing where to pick up the friggin' buses at coming or going. :mad: All they did was list several buses that would be detoured and said to expect delays as if that tells us anything! :mad: This keeps happening over and over and they just say to expect detours without any clarification and they're supposed to be updating this information frequently so I don't see what the excuse is.

Maybe you should get Greg Mocker's attention.

When I was on Q32 during 59th Street 3rd-2nd Av closure, because there was signed and when I ask B/O, he didn't know about detour either.

The whole thing makes no sense because they knew about the event well in advance so how is it that no one planned out the detours? Now it seems like they give details about subway station closures/construction projects, but nothing about the service changes for buses. :mad: I mean we basically had to just go to a bus stop and hope a bus showed up there, when it really isn't necessary to go through that aggravation.

P.S. Who is Greg Mocker?

The whole thing makes no sense because they knew about the event well in advance so how is it that no one planned out the detours? Now it seems like they give details about subway station closures/construction projects, but nothing about the service changes for buses. :mad: I mean we basically had to just go to a bus stop and hope a bus showed up there, when it really isn't necessary to go through that aggravation.

P.S. Who is Greg Mocker?

PIX 11 Newscaster.

(MTA) need to post detour route up for NYCT, MTA Bus and Long Island Bus.

They should post detour during SNOW Emergency, well as Thanksgiving or New Years Eve, right?

No. Too many reroutes to post for so many routes. It would take forever for one person to type it all up. What do you think? There's an army of people to do this stuff?

Call NYCT's travel information number for your specific route.

718-330-1234.

It's also a very fluid situation. NYPD closes and opens streets at will according to current conditions and it's impossible for NYCT to keep up with it.

Perhaps you should write a SNAIL MAIL letter to Jay Walders office of complaint and tell us "his" answer?

No. Too many reroutes to post for so many routes. It would take forever for one person to type it all up. What do you think? There's an army of people to do this stuff?

718-330-1234.

It's also a very fluid situation. NYPD closes and opens streets at will according to current conditions and it's impossible for NYCT to keep up with it.

Perhaps you should write a SNAIL MAIL letter to Jay Walders office of complaint and tell us "his" answer?

I'd rather have a list of changes like the GO page, then let it sit. If it changes it changes. Out of date information is better than no information at all. Plus, the call center agents have a list of this stuff if you can call for it, how hard would it be to put it online?

Or, wait for BusTime to come to every route and see the detour on a map. (What happens right now if the M16/B63/M34 detours?)

718-330-1234.

They knew about this bike event well in advance. They had the event posted on their website at least a few days before yesterday. What's worse is they put up all of these buses that supposedly had detours and some of them don't even run on the weekends and the B/Os didn't even know the detours so what good is calling that 718 # going to do? They have all of this money to hire project managers at 100k a pop and all of this other nonsense, yet they can't even give passengers simple detour information that they knew about in advance?? Let's just keep giving them excuses for poor planning as usual. :P

We don't need a detailed detour info, but something would be nice because it is extremely stressful when you're told that several buses are detoured and you have no idea where the detour (detours in this case) is.

But that Jay Walder idea is also a good one. I applaud them for taking some steps to keep the public informed, but they can do better than what they did yesterday.

Slightly off-topic, when city declared Snow Emergency in Jan due to snowy condition in NYC, Bee-Line BxM4C was running on SAT Schedule on weekday. I did not know it was on SAT Schedule yet.

When I check out Bee-Line Bus Stop near Science Business Library, BxM4C Westchester Express riders are stranded. They tried to ask (MTA) Bus Company B/O but they couldn't help them.

718-330-1234.

I meant to correct myself.

They did post detour for Thanksgiving and New Years event.

Slightly off-topic, when city declared Snow Emergency in Jan due to snowy condition in NYC, Bee-Line BxM4C was running on SAT Schedule on weekday. I did not know it was on SAT Schedule yet.

There was no BxM4C Saturday service in January...

Archived