A little observation from today

Abba

So today (N) trains were rerouted on the (D) from 36th-Stillwell.So at 18th Avenue an (N) passed by my (D) on the express track.So you would think that this train would get to Stillwell first.Well,think again.At Bay 50th Street it was sitting on the express track and we were allowed to go ahead of it.My question is ,why would that be done? Was there too much congestion for the (N) side at Stillwell that made them decide to hold it there instead?

I don't know, could be possible.

I remeber years back when I was on a (4), the train switched over to the local at 42nd and bypassed all the local stops on the way to 14th St. My train caught up to the (5) ahead, but we ended up waiting for the (5) to leave and then we switched back to the express track. It totally defeated the whole point of switching the (4) to the local if we ended up back in the same spot as before.

Maybe the (D) had more priorities then the (N) on the West End.

I don't know, could be possible.

I remeber years back when I was on a (4), the train switched over to the local at 42nd and bypassed all the local stops on the way to 14th St. My train caught up to the (5) ahead, but we ended up waiting for the (5) to leave and then we switched back to the express track. It totally defeated the whole point of switching the (4) to the local if we ended up back in the same spot as before.

That may have happen because of the schedule. Tho the (4) does get more priorities on the Lex IRT then the (5).

As for the switching, maybe there was something wrong on the Express track,

So today (N) trains were rerouted on the (D) from 36th-Stillwell.So at 18th Avenue an (N) passed by my (D) on the express track.So you would think that this train would get to Stillwell first.Well,think again.At Bay 50th Street it was sitting on the express track and we were allowed to go ahead of it.My question is ,why would that be done? Was there too much congestion for the (N) side at Stillwell that made them decide to hold it there instead?

There was a G.O. on the SEA BEACH and it depends if the N tracks at STILLWELL have 2 trains in the pocket or the time they have to be at STL

Could be possible. Maybe originally the (4) was going to continue down the local, but whatever was wrong on the express was fixed by the time they had the (4) sent back? To this day I will never know what the deal was. Just an 'unsolved mystery'.

Your guess is probably right. Also, you have to think about the amount of (6) trains that run on the local track. Ideally I think they would prefer to keep the (4) train off of the local track unless they have no choice or of course unless it is late night service.

If that was the reason.............it was a good dispatching decision.

Now if anybody on this board was at Stillwell while you were at Bay 50th.........then your question can be answered.

Archived