You Know you are Addicted to the NYC Subway when.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I am addicted to subway when

1) since i moved to jersey, I always think of my old time using the subway in the past and still want to do it more when i visit the city

2) when my friend point to me when tourist ask my friend instead for direction and my friend laugh at me because i know my way around

3) love all style of train(the r46 is my least favorite because all the doors are lock between cars)

The other day I was at the Bowling Green station when a man had fallen ill on the platform. An MTA worker with the letters RTO on his uniform came to assist the man, called for medical help, etc. A woman walked up to him asking for directions to Canal Street, and in a split second he gave her the directions. After doing so, he then added out loud, "I've been working on the system for 40 years, please if you're gonna ask me questions make it a good difficult one!"

What mattered was that he was right, and that was the moment when I realized that I agreed with him, and that my addiction is well along. I've been addicted for years - my friends accept it. They are co-dependents buying me books or showing me articles on transit issues.

Sometimes when you know something really well, easy questions are boring. You want hard questions. You want questions that make you THINK about the answer or fumble to come up with an answer. That's when it is fun.

Mike

You know you are addicted when......

1) You take the long way home.

2) You take the long way home just to ride on your favorite fleet of cars (the R62A, R68, R68A, R160A and R160B).

3) You stay in a station just to see your train leave.

4) You take photos of trains.

5) You run to the first car of an R32 (A) train just to see the railfan window.

6) Your twitter handle is @NorwoodBoundD.

7) You are mulling over what DSLR and DSLR lenses to get to take train photos with.

8) You have your dad's old R68A manual in your bedroom's bookshelf.

9) You have tons of old NYC Subway Maps in your room.

10) You look at stare at transit photos on nycsubway.org and ttmg.org.

...but I am revealing too much information about myself. Carry on. :P

When you consider a different type of equipment running on a certain line (i.e. R68 (G)) an entirely new experience on par with riding a line for the first time.

Be honest people... how many of u's flocked out there... (trying to go in order of what happened first)

to catch a R68 (G) (kudos to that guy who said 5 on his FB page were going out to look for that R68 (G))

to catch a R160 (R)

to catch a R160 (L)

etc etc.

I really don't know what you're talking about!!! :P

However, every single car move that has happened, I never waited around for them. Last year when R160s hit the (R) I was on the (N) train and spotted the 160 (R) heading in the same direction. When the R160s hit the (V) I was on the (D) train and saw the train at West Fourth Street and waited for it at Broadway - Lafayette. When the R44s hit the (C) I was doing an errand and just caught one out of the blue.

Honestly I really don't go and search for these transfers, they just come to me so there's really no need to sit and wait for a train hours upon hours when I could just catch one at random and be done with it and care less afterwards.

I wasn't even looking for the R160 (R) and I seem to catch it

I take the (L) everyday so I don't even have to look for a R160 on that

Not sure about the other people though lol

I need no luck for the R160 (R). I was waiting for the (R) one day at Northern, got in the station and entered right at the front car spot. I was hoping to get a NTT since the I don't want to ride an R46 (too old). So then, I saw an R160 come in and it was an (R). Boy I was lucky!

You know your addicted to the NYC Subway when you talk in your videos - not the normal talk, but this talk : "OMG OMG!!! It's an R68 (G) WOW!!"

You know your addicted to the NYC Subway when you live a few blocks away from the place you are and walking takes 5 mins. and you waste the 5 mins. just to wait for a train.

You know your addicted to the NYC Subway when you see an unexpected train show up on the route your not taking, you take it anyways and end up waiting for another few minutes to take your correct route.

You know your addicted to the NYC Subway when you try to squish a shoping car covered with subway bullets onto a train.

You know you are addicted when......

1) You take the long way home.

2) You take the long way home just to ride on your favorite fleet of cars (the R62A, R68, R68A, R160A and R160B).

3) You stay in a station just to see your train leave.

4) You take photos of trains.

5) You run to the first car of an R32 (A) train just to see the railfan window.

6) Your twitter handle is @NorwoodBoundD.

7) You are mulling over what DSLR and DSLR lenses to get to take train photos with.

8) You have your dad's old R68A manual in your bedroom's bookshelf.

9) You have tons of old NYC Subway Maps in your room.

10) You look at stare at transit photos on nycsubway.org and ttmg.org.

...but I am revealing too much information about myself. Carry on. :P

1) I have done it before but not often.

2) I am guilty of this at times. When an R160 comes calling, I will answer.

3) Seems rather pointless

4) I certainly do that.

I'll skip #5 and #6, no comments

7) ipod camera is good enough for me.

8) Would like to have an R160 manual but i'll be fine without one.

9) I got rid of my old maps.

10) Those are good sites but my commutes and Facebook get it done for me.

I'll add 2 more

1) You're addicted to the subway when you post various NTT announcements as status updates on Facebook

2) when you ride the train and look at others that pass by to see how crowded they are.

Archived