You know you are addicted to buses when...

PATCOman

You know you're addicted to MCI express buses when...

-You give them nicknames like "expressy" :(

-Wait impatiently for the doors to slowly open so that you can get on and get your "usual spot"

-Get annoyed and blurt out expletives when the chairs don't recline

-Give dirty looks to anyone who dares sit near you unless they're a regular

-Go to the front immediately upon realizing that the air or the blowers aren't on and wait for the next express bus if the B/O refuses to turn either on

-Get extremely annoyed and give dirty looks and perhaps use expletives for yentas/cell phone yappers that talk incessantly or loud music players

-Get pissed when the B/O doesn't stop right in front of you and makes you walk to the express bus

-Refuse to take an Orion and instead wait another hour for the next express bus that is an MCI because those Orions aren't "real express buses"

-Cheer in line with other express bus riders when it is snowing out and a bus arrives because you fear that you'll be stranded

-Give the B/O dirty looks if he doesn't realize that your stop is a normal express bus stop

-Have witnessed or have almost been in fights on the express bus over things like reclining, people getting too close to your personal space, etc.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know you're addicted when you get excited when the bus goes on a deotur

You know you're addicted to MCI express buses when...

-You give them nicknames like "expressy" :o

-Wait impatiently for the doors to slowly open so that you can get on and get your "usual spot"

-Go to the front immediately upon realizing that the air or the blowers aren't on and wait for the next express bus if the B/O refuses to turn either on

-Get extremely annoyed and give dirty looks and perhaps use expletives for yentas/cell phone yappers that talk incessantly or loud music players

-Get pissed when the B/O doesn't stop right in front of you and makes you walk to the express bus

-Refuse to take an Orion and instead wait another hour for the next express bus that is an MCI because those Orions aren't "real express buses"

-Cheer in line with other express bus riders when it is snowing out and a bus arrives because you fear that you'll be stranded

-Give the B/O dirty looks if he doesn't realize that your stop is a normal express bus stop.

-Have witnessed or have almost been in fights on the express bus over things like reclining, people getting too close to your personal space, etc.

No that's just sad :(

While these "addicted to" threads can be fun and interesting, I don't want to see the forum community use the items listed here to judge existing/new members about whether they are "crazy" or "foamers" and how to treat them. Please...

We already judge each other by these characteristics... where do you think the 'confessions' by some of us are stemming from... not to mention the "thanks" being spread around in these two threads thus far....

The outside world, already view us "transportation bloggers" as some sort of kooks anyway.... so these 2 threads aren't any more detrimental to our community, than what we currently do to ourselves....

far as judging new members by what we say in these lists, that would make us hypocritical....

-You give them nicknames like "expressy" :(

wow... I can't fully admit to any of these; guess it's b/c I'm a part time x-bus rider... lol...

the closest one is that 2nd one you listed (it does irk me when the doors open slowly like that, but it's not b/c I wanna rush to get to the back)....

- aint givin any bus, a nickname...

- when the chairs don't recline, I move to a next seat.... If the bus is packed & it's the last seat available, I just deal w/ it...

- far as scowling/grimacing when someone opts to sit next to me, depends on my mood....

- if by "blowers" you're talkin about the a/c.. heh, going in, I assume they don't work...

- the loud music players, yappers, etc. - I've become one of them (blast my mp3 player to the highest vol. setting)....

- doesn't matter where the b/o stops to me (local or express), as long AS he stops for me...

- I've never been one to wait for a specific type of bus....

wow... I can't fully admit to any of these; guess it's b/c I'm a part time x-bus rider... lol...

the closest one is that 2nd one you listed (it does irk me when the doors open slowly like that, but it's not b/c I wanna rush to get to the back)....

- aint givin any bus, a nickname...

- when the chairs don't recline, I move to a next seat.... If the bus is packed & it's the last seat available, I just deal w/ it...

- far as scowling/grimacing when someone opts to sit next to me, depends on my mood....

- if by "blowers" you're talkin about the a/c.. heh, going in, I assume they don't work...

- the loud music players, yappers, etc. - I've become one of them (blast my mp3 player to the highest vol. setting)....

- doesn't matter where the b/o stops to me (local or express), as long AS he stops for me...

- I've never been one to wait for a specific type of bus....

LOL... Well I've witnessed all of these things

-You give them nicknames like "expressy"

Maybe the regulars don't call them "expressy", but they do give them names. My co-worker hates having to use them. She has family on Staten Island and has taken them. She calls them elephants.

Express bus riders can get cranky about this esp. when they're in a hurry. I get cranky about the seats because that means I may be forced to sit on the left, which means next to no leg room, so I have spots on the right hand side that I prefer. :mad:

Nothing worse than getting the last seat and having chairs that don't recline. That means a stiff neck if you attempt to take a nap of any kind. On the BM expresses, this is less of an issue because the buses are newer, but on the SI buses, this was a big problem for a while. We had all of the hand-me-downs, so lots of broken chairs and broken bells. :mad:

Most of the express bus riders do this including myself. I've even saw an argument break out on the X1 once. This guy got heated and demanded to be let off of the bus because he didn't want certain folks sitting by him. LOL On the X10, there's the one older dude that gives dirty looks and takes his arm and blocks the other chair as if to imply that he doesn't want anyone sitting there. I chuckle everytime I see him.

-Go to the front immediately upon realizing that the air or the blowers aren't on and wait for the next express bus if the B/O refuses to turn either on.

I've saw arguments on the X12 break out over this. On really hot days 90+ weather, no way in hell I'm getting on an express bus with no air. I once boarded an X14, asked the B/O if the air was on and he said yes. By the time we reached the FDR it was clear that the AC was broken and by then I was pissed because now I was stuck on this bus baking and couldn't get off. Suffice it to say that me and the B/O got into a heated shouting match. I got off at 23rd and 1st and just walked to the subway to cool off both from the argument and from the heat on the bus.

I've been guilty of this, esp. when I'm tired from a long day. Basically told the guy that I wasn't dealing with his f*cking noise and that this wasn't a damn disco and he turned the music down. I also saw this dude on the X10 go crazy and basically said that he was going to kick some @ss if these teenagers didn't shut up. He had worked long hours and was not putting up w/the noise. lol

Generally this is sort of an unspoken rule. Some of the regulars get annoyed if the bus stops in one spot when clearly the passengers are waiting in another spot. It could lead to arguments because folks may skip in line and just get on.

I've done this once when I had time to kill. I really hate those Orions, esp. the seats since you can't recline and they're hard as bricks and when they were still on the BM3, I hated taking them, so once I noticed that an Orion was heading to the last stop and knew that he would be the next bus, so I took my time and ran some errands and basically waited for the next bus which was an MCI. :cool:

lol... A bunch of us did this during the snow storm last year when what was probably one of the last X16 buses to show up Downtown arrived before the roads became impossible to pass. He struggled to get up Victory Blvd and the other hills on Staten Island, but he made it. :cool

-Give the B/O dirty looks if he doesn't realize that your stop is a normal express bus stop

This has happened a few times with the X30 and the X12. The driver was the last bus of the night and almost bypassed us. Once the B/O stopped in the middle of 5th Avenue to let us on, probably because he was too busy checking out @ss. We all got on and looked at him like WTF is with you and said a few things and he had the nerve to ask what the problem was. :(

I've witnessed this a few times on several buses.

The most memorable one was when we were going over the Verrazano and these two middle aged chicks almost went at it. One of them got up and yelled "GET OFF OF ME". I couldn't tell what happened because I had already closed my eyes and was about to get into nap mode, but clearly a cat fight was brewing. LOL :cool:

However, it wasnt primarily about buses.

- You know you're addicted when you get mad for someone screwing up the photo or video by walking in on purpose, staying within the frame and whatnot. I'm most definitely guilty for that one, I'm too much of a perfectionist at times. Then again, I think depending on what kind of photography you do, that's a general gripe.

I actually agree with this. Though I don't consider it fully addiction. People see someone taking a pix or video and just hop in front of the cam. Ive had this crap before and slightly pisses me off as I was trying to aim at my subject.. Ive even had people who get in my photo and make funny faces as way to ruin what your doing. Tho I don't flame as some people do it by mistake and you can always take another photo or video or even edit it the error out.

Possibly an addiction, when traveling can name make and model of buses on road trips enlightning fellow travelers. Amaze friends and families with stories of why CNGS can beat MCIs on highways, but not block to block, bus routing, subway car stats, and the real best way to go by mass transit. And lastly, you are a true addict when you go on line to discuss these same things with fellow forum members, and we as a collective whole, have more up to date information about the NY metro transit scene then the head of the MTA himself!

Well of course you need it, but I don't see why he needs it. I mean you're a regular express bus rider like me, but he hates our mode of transportation, so that's why I'm puzzled why he would consider using them anyway.

He needs to STFU and get the hell over it. If he has a problem with the transportation in NYC...he can either hide in his house for the rest of his life or simply pack up and leave the City. One less jackass in NYC!

I'm not exactly in the "center" of Manhattan my friend (anything but), and that sure as anything doesn't mean I don't travel!

Real point was that the behavior you described was elitist and rude.

Don't start.

I understand, but how exactly would an express bus help you? Don't you live and die by the local buses and subways?? :eek:

As far as the "behaviour" you described, regular express bus riders are used to it. There is drama on every form on transportation here in the city, and the express bus is no different. :cool:

He needs to STFU and get the hell over it. If he has a problem with the transportation in NYC...he can either hide in his house for the rest of his life or simply pack up and leave the City. One less jackass in NYC!

The thread was supposed to be made to get a laugh, not to have an argument. Good God. :(

Not arguing with anyone....i'm tired of his rants. It as fun until he brings up the X90 and his sarcastic remarks to ppl comments!

Yes, I know but you just help to stir the pot more. Let's just chill out. You know his opinion is not going to change and neither is yours, so it is pointless. You two are two different breeds mate and there's nothing changing that. :(

There're plenty of places I could be taking the express to, I just don't really. I just take the subway and transfer instead (or for trips to Staten Island, the ferry and then the local bus).

I dunno, maybe I'm just too used to it, but I'd rather be near a homeless dude on the subway than some elitist jerk who won't let me sit down 'cause he's better than me...

Well, those exist everywhere. I see them on the local buses too. Welcome to NYC. :o

Not arguing with anyone....i'm tired of his rants. It as fun until he brings up the X90 and his sarcastic remarks to ppl comments!

Not sarcastic, just mean spirited put downs just because his line was axed. He totally mad.

However, it wasnt primarily about buses.

- You know you're addicted when you get mad for someone screwing up the photo or video by walking in on purpose, staying within the frame and whatnot. I'm most definitely guilty for that one, I'm too much of a perfectionist at times. Then again, I think depending on what kind of photography you do, that's a general gripe.

If it's a museum bus, I'll bitch about it :(

But now I don't really care as much about a person getting in my way anymore. Still would prefer they didn't, but what am I gonna do?

Possibly an addiction, when traveling can name make and model of buses on road trips enlightning fellow travelers. Amaze friends and families with stories of why CNGS can beat MCIs on highways, but not block to block, bus routing, subway car stats, and the real best way to go by mass transit. And lastly, you are a true addict when you go on line to discuss these same things with fellow forum members, and we as a collective whole, have more up to date information about the NY metro transit scene then the head of the MTA himself!

I'm with you 100%. But you haven't lived until you experience a Detroit Diesel s60 powered MCI CNG! :drool:

Ok my turn now

you know you're addicted to buses when...

-you know every single RTS the (MTA) ever got, including the PBLs

-you hate most lines/depots only cuz of what equipment they have(I would looooove College Point if it were not for the endless sea of Orion V CNG's. But at the same time I love CP because it has the soul of the PBL's. It is the depot for all things Orion V CNG. I love them, but I get tired of them. When the C40LFR's come in however, I am going to foam all over the floor!!!! Lmao!):drool:

-you claim a bus as your own (Nova RTS-06 #9525)

You know you're obsessed with buses when....

- You make sound effects that comes out of whatever bus model one is imitating....(when I was a kid....)

- You start having arguments with people over the bus fleet and routes and so-on....

- You run down the block just to get a picture of a bus with an unusual sign or get overly excited by a sign change...

- You become a heavy critic for every bus you get on...

- You go out at 2-3am just to ride buses because there are no cars on the road or to catch a certain fleet running on a line that doesnt see that fleet on a normal basis....(I can point fingers at that one too...)

- You exile routes / don't ride certain routes because of a certain fleet of buses operating on the route...(College Point)

- You pass up certain buses because of their looks...

- You make fantasy bus maps, routes, route extensions and eliminations that you THINK will benefit people when most of it is just hearsay and such....

- you walk/run/ride a bike, pretending you're a bus...(again when i was a kid..)

- you busfan, period.

(yes, I'm calling myself out too... I'm not above that)

- you look to venture to certain cities/states/COUNTRIES, just to, or for the main reason of, embarking on their surface transportation.... (done that from New York to LA and 3 other countries!)

lmao....

Now, Confess.

Top 10 reasons you're addicted to buses:

You have a schedule of every bus route in the city and neighboring suburbs

You come up with silly extensions and/or eliminations or reroutes

You know about every depot in the city and neighboring suburbs

You get up at the crack of dawn to try out a new bus route

Just because you hate/love a certain bus model, you think that everyone should love/hate it

You wish your depot/route would have a certain type of bus

You'd wait a little longer because the bus that showed up wasn't the bus type you wanted

You feel you should be the President of buses

I'm guilty of all of the above, and.....

No longer ride MTA express buses because they don't use RTS'......

Refuse to ride MTA express buses because once you've been on 6000 MCI's from here to Texas they are all the same unless they are hybrid or CNG. BORING!!!! Bring on the Prevosts!:cool:

Have to ride all new MTA equipment, assess it, and form an opinion

Have 28 MTA model buses representing 18 different depots

Think that nothing will ever compare to the RTS, New Look, or New Look Classic.

You are the Senior Mod. of a transit forum, and you are so obsessed with it being #1 to the point that you neglect other things every now and then, and act in a manner that is totally out of character at times....:)

When your life revolves around buses because it's actually your career, and you don't ever want to give it up!!!

Last but not least, when your great grandmother nicknames you Surface Transit Headquarters at age 6.

Archived