You know you are addicted to buses when...

PATCOman

I'm with you 100%. But you haven't lived until you experience a Detroit Diesel s60 powered MCI CNG! :drool:

About that... I don't have much interest in MTA's MCIs considering the way they've been modified... After spending some precious time out in Jersey I have come to love theirs for their dazzling sound effects. Their Jakes are what do me in EVERY time. And when the fans come on, FINISHED!

I've been on their Series 60G-powered buses. If you listen close enough their idle sounds extremely similar to a DD50G...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-When you go around catching new buses and its numbers via Video and Photo and being the first to load it before anyone (i know a few xP)
Hey, hush up, I had alot of free time and inside info, k? :)

You know you're addicted to buses when you make friends with a B/O only with the intent of codebreaking...

That was my original intent

I'll admit, I'm addicted to NABIs, New Flyers, Orions, Novas, Prevosts, MCIs, Van Hools, and Gilligs... that is all :o

^^^You know you're addicted to buses if you know all the designs made by each company listed above

About that... I don't have much interest in MTA's MCIs considering the way they've been modified... After spending some precious time out in Jersey I have come to love theirs for their dazzling sound effects. Their Jakes are what do me in EVERY time. And when the fans come on, FINISHED!

I've been on their Series 60G-powered buses. If you listen close enough their idle sounds extremely similar to a DD50G...

I absolutely love NJT's assortment of MCI's. My first NJT ride ever was on a 1987 MCI MC-9. It was really weird though, because I had never been on a 96" narrow-body MCI. I also love Houston's hybrids.

You know you're addicted

-When you tell an operator about his/hers entire run including the blocks/runs that are assigned and equipment usually given by asking one question

-When you hear/see a new bus or one on the brink of retirement and track it down via the route's schedule to get a photograph, even if it means waiting upwards of two hours.

-When you carry a notebook of all the schedules of your particular system with you everywhere you go.

You know you're addicted to buses when you know what type of it is just by hearing the sound of the power-train and not actually seeing the bus. I do this plenty in times in the morning where I get the B8 and the stop I use it shares its route with the B49 for a bit. Once I hear a C40LF, VII CNG or a V CNG coming and I'm not at the stop, time to start bookin', Hear a RTS or a hybrid, stay walking at the same pace.

Assuming the C40LFRs come in the time period I'm working at where I work, and their quiet like the LIB NGs... I can see this method screwing me over lol.

You know you're addicted to buses when you know what type of it is just by hearing the sound of the power-train and not actually seeing the bus. I do this plenty in times in the morning where I get the B8 and the stop I use it shares its route with the B49 for a bit. Once I hear a C40LF, VII CNG or a V CNG coming and I'm not at the stop, time to start bookin', Hear a RTS or a hybrid, stay walking at the same pace.

Assuming the C40LFRs come in the time period I'm working at where I work, and their quiet like the LIB NGs... I can see this method screwing me over lol.

I used to do that when the RTS ran on the S44, I could hear the brakes squealing from a few blocks away and I knew it was time to start running. With the O5s it's the compressor noise, but those NG hybrids are sneaky lol.

I'm addicted to MCI express buses... ;)

I agree. I get such a thrill boarding an express bus with comfy seats and seeing it pass all of those local stops

I'm not exactly in the "center" of Manhattan my friend (anything but), and that sure as anything doesn't mean I don't travel!

Real point was that the behavior you described was elitist and rude.

Jeez did you get FG-itis? I don't hate anything (you're addicted when you hate a certain type of bus), but I've never taken an express bus and hearing stories like those x1 / x10 riders only keeps me away.

Don't start.

incorrect

You know you're addicted to MCI express buses when...

-You give them nicknames like "expressy" :o

-Wait impatiently for the doors to slowly open so that you can get on and get your "usual spot"

-Get annoyed and blurt out expletives when the chairs don't recline

-Give dirty looks to anyone who dares sit near you unless they're a regular

-Go to the front immediately upon realizing that the air or the blowers aren't on and wait for the next express bus if the B/O refuses to turn either on

-Get extremely annoyed and give dirty looks and perhaps use expletives for yentas/cell phone yappers that talk incessantly or loud music players

-Get pissed when the B/O doesn't stop right in front of you and makes you walk to the express bus

-Refuse to take an Orion and instead wait another hour for the next express bus that is an MCI because those Orions aren't "real express buses"

-Cheer in line with other express bus riders when it is snowing out and a bus arrives because you fear that you'll be stranded

-Give the B/O dirty looks if he doesn't realize that your stop is a normal express bus stop

-Have witnessed or have almost been in fights on the express bus over things like reclining, people getting too close to your personal space, etc.

I have a favorite seat on the express bus. It's the left window seat in the next to last row.

I hate it when people recline into me. They know the chair is touching my knee, but they still do it.

Generally, X63 riders are polite. We've had Christmas parties on the bus. There's an occassional idiot who reclines, but for the most part there aren't any problems.

As long as they're express buses I do. I have it timed too. As soon as we reach the Goethals or the Verrazano, my Italian shades are on. :cool:

I also take naps on express buses. I can tell where the X63 is based on the turns. I usually wake up when it makes the turn from the Queens-Midtown Tunnel to 37 Street.

When you have to pick up...THE PEOPLE ,just to get paid ...so yessss I'm addicted to dough

Have you ever had revenue trips w/o any passengers? I wouldn't want to be a B/O making meaningless roundtrips that aren't transporting anyone...

Another few signs:

-When you look for buses wherever you go

-When you laugh at an MTA/driver mistake (wrong destination)

You know you're addicted to buses when you record a bus power-train from a game....

Recorded this about a year ago. I would make a better one but my 360 doesn't work at the moment. (Red rings of death)

I miss driving that bus from GTA 4, I'm pissed cause I figured out how to rev the engine up AFTER I recorded this, (On 360, hold down the parking brake and press on the gas).

I had my own little system in that game, routes (Local and express buses), short turns, subway shuttles, the whole nine. And a depot location for each island, Alaugin was the sanitation garage, Alderney was the fire house next to the projects, the other three was industrial basically.

I pretended to do pre trippers on the bus at the made up depots I posted above and before I pulled out to DH to the route I wanted to drive. And after I did my trip I DH back to the depots and did something else in the game afterwards lol.

Have you ever had revenue trips w/o any passengers? I wouldn't want to be a B/O making meaningless roundtrips that aren't transporting anyone...

Another few signs:

-When you look for buses wherever you go

-When you laugh at an MTA/driver mistake (wrong destination)

Yes Indeed and those are my favorite trips to do

Archived