North Jersey Coast Line Track Work?

Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

The past few weeks I have noticed that along NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line there are stacks of track ties along the NJCL ROW from Red Bank Yard south. Also Trains along the NJCL have been delayed in both directions for more than a week now. In addition the other day NJ Transit GP40PH-2 #4145 was running light with MOW GP40-2 #4300 in tow with no cars. I do not know where they are currently working right now.

If anyone has any information please let me know.

Eric

I think the delays that you've been seeing are from the track work from the NEC as the Amtrak work trains go up and down the line getting stuff.

But I dunno of any track work on the NJCL. I'll look into it.

They have been keeping their work trains in odd locations out of the way of revenue service on the :nec:, but i suspect the tie carriers in particular are stashed in more than one place along the :nec: and connecting lines as more are needed over time. Have you seen the rail carriers at all? Monstrously long track sections suspended on racks on carrier cars about a good half mile long or more at the harrison depot. I am always on PATH after newark, so i never can get a shot of them.

- Andy

They have been keeping their work trains in odd locations out of the way of revenue service on the :nec:, but i suspect the tie carriers in particular are stashed in more than one place along the :nec: and connecting lines as more are needed over time. Have you seen the rail carriers at all? Monstrously long track sections suspended on racks on carrier cars about a good half mile long or more at the harrison depot. I am always on PATH after newark, so i never can get a shot of them.

- Andy

Yes I have seen the CWR Continuous Welded Rail Trains in the past personally in fact when I was in 4th grade I remember seeing a NJ Transit one crawling through Oceanport.

Eric

Yes I have seen the CWR Continuous Welded Rail Trains in the past personally in fact when I was in 4th grade I remember seeing a NJ Transit one crawling through Oceanport.

Eric

There are segments of the (NJT):nec: that still have non-welded track, i wonder if with the track work they will be welded on site and/or replaced.

On a separate but related note I am getting increasingly annoyed by my inability to take photos from PATH trains. Shockingly the windows are usually very clean and able to get good photos through them it looks, but i don't want to get arrested & held for questioning. I think that next week or 2 weeks from now i will file an official request for a permit etc. Sadly they make someone go with you, and they can say what and what not to take photos of, which sucks, because the train is in motion where i wanna shoot, and i don't want to ask if it's ok and miss something. Lot of really awesome stuff at the MMC and lay up yard at harrison.

- Andy

On a separate but related note I am getting increasingly annoyed by my inability to take photos from PATH trains. Shockingly the windows are usually very clean and able to get good photos through them it looks, but i don't want to get arrested & held for questioning. I think that next week or 2 weeks from now i will file an official request for a permit etc. Sadly they make someone go with you, and they can say what and what not to take photos of, which sucks, because the train is in motion where i wanna shoot, and i don't want to ask if it's ok and miss something.
Thats if you can even get the permit. Some people have flied for it, and never got it, or reply back from PATH. So its not as easy as one thinks. Best way is if you're a photographer for a newspaper....

Thats if you can even get the permit. Some people have flied for it, and never got it, or reply back from PATH. So its not as easy as one thinks. Best way is if you're a photographer for a newspaper....

I wish i was!

- Andy

Same here! I would be taking endless amounts of pictures on PATH.

I'd have money for better stuff, ad have access to more things, plus i'd have a JOB. Wishful thinking for me..

• 1 month later...
Do the ties look worn, old, cracked?

- Andy

From what I have seen the track ties are in good shape. The resume speed sign is a normal resume speed sign NOT the Resume Speed Working Limits sign.

This is a Resume Speed Working Limit sign.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=904948

The sign in Little Silver is NOT THAT SIGN!

Its the other sign. This sign is green and has the letter R is white.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

NJ Transit has started to do track work in the Red Bank Little Silver Area. NJ Transit has about 7 to 8 pieces of MOW equipment stored in Red Bank Yard for the weekend.

Eric

August 3rd is the big day for track 1 on the :nec: being taken out of action. I might ride up & back on sunday morning (the 3rd) to see my woman at the airport before she works, i'll see what happens. Can you look for the date on the rails on the :njc:? I want to know when they were put down, might give a clue as to the replacement activities. Also, if they are the same ties that are being replaced on the :nec: by amtrak, they might just be doing it as a precaution.

- Andy

August 3rd is the big day for track 1 on the :nec: being taken out of action. I might ride up & back on sunday morning (the 3rd) to see my woman at the airport before she works, i'll see what happens. Can you look for the date on the rails on the :njc:? I want to know when they were put down, might give a clue as to the replacement activities. Also, if they are the same ties that are being replaced on the :nec: by amtrak, they might just be doing it as a precaution.

- Andy

All the track ties on the NJCL are wood with the exception of a few railroad crossings where they have concrete which I have discussed. The dates on the rails won't be much help as a lot you see dated from the 1980's to now and they get used over and over.

Eric

All the track ties on the NJCL are wood with the exception of a few railroad crossings where they have concrete which I have discussed. The dates on the rails won't be much help as a lot you see dated from the 1980's to now and they get used over and over.

Eric

Ah, ok, because at trenton, as you'll see in my (NJT) photos soon to be posted, i have a rail date from 2003.

Forgot bout the wooden ties! :D

- Andy

Archived