Official: Nissan wins bid to be next New York City taxi *UPDATE

Looks like Nissan Has won the bid of future taxi cabs beating out The Americans at Ford and the Turkish at Karsan.The days of crown vics and caprice classics are a distant memory.Im sure Nissan winning the bid didn't have to anything do with the fact that if Karsan won,that they would have actually made their cabs.....IN BROOKLYN!!!!....with.....UNION LABOR!!!! sound off below fellow new yorkers!!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/03/nissan-wins-bid-to-be-next-new-york-city-taxi/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk2%7C212026

nyctaxiexteriorv2-630.jpg

Looks like Nissan Has won the bid of future taxi cabs beating out The Americans at Ford and the Turkish at Karsan.The days of crown vics and caprice classics are a distant memory.Im sure Nissan winning the bid didn't have to anything do with the fact that if Karsan won,that they would have actually made their cabs.....IN BROOKLYN!!!!....with.....UNION LABOR!!!! sound off below fellow new yorkers!!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/03/nissan-wins-bid-to-be-next-new-york-city-taxi/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk2%7C212026

I saw it a little while ago on NY1 "Inside City Hall" show. Heard that Brooklyn BP Markowitz and some NYC Council Member are considering suing Bloomberg and the TLC for rigging the contract to Nissan. They claim a conflict of intrest.

wth why was my post automatically lowercased lol that was supposed to be in all caps btw

If you're not an admin or a mod our freedom of speech is limited.Therefore its no point of even saying anything.

Well its different so...mhm... looks ugly tho.

They just can't afford to produce, and give spare parts to them anymore. Plus they aren't fuel efficient, and they don't offer enough comfort to passengers.

Anyway my opinion for this taxi cars isn't good. It's not good for the handicapped, because it isn't ADA accessible. Nor is this taxi going to be produced in the USA. This taxi would be built in Mexico, Spain, and Japan. I like the Karsan V1 better due to the fact it's handicapped capable, and it was going to be built in the USA. If it was picked the manufacturing plant would have had been in Brooklyn. Some parts would have had came from Turkey, but a majority of it would come from Detroit, and Brooklyn. 75% of that car would have been American. Even Ford would have assembled their taxi in Kansas, and brought the parts in from Detroit, and Turkey, but they have to pick Nissan which isn't going to benefit the US, or help the handicapped. Although Ford's design wouldn't have had helped the handicapped either it would help American Jobs. If I could rank them I would have picked Karsan first, Ford second, and Nissan third.

Nissan? #FAIL!

wth why was my post automatically lowercased lol that was supposed to be in all caps btw

Excessive CAPS are not allowed, and since nobody bothers to read the rules, it's an automatic correction now. It's really annoying to recite the same rules 10 times per month.

If you're not an admin or a mod our freedom of speech is limited.Therefore its no point of even saying anything.

Yes, and big brother is watching!:P

and what was wrong with the Crown Vic again?

The Crown Vic has been discontinued. Ford is offering the Taurus as a replacement.

Nissan? #FAIL!

Excessive CAPS are not allowed, and since nobody bothers to read the rules, it's an automatic correction now. It's really annoying to recite the same rules 10 times per month.

Yes, and big brother is watching!:P

The Crown Vic has been discontinued. Ford is offering the Taurus as a replacement.

So let em use Ford Tauruses and Chevy Impalas or that Dodge thing thats around the same size, or the Toyota Avalon would make nice cabs but theyre a bit pricey.

This has to do with Ford closing the St Thomas Ontario plant that makes the Crown Vic.

That's not why they discontinued the line though. Ford decided they were going to discontinue the Crown Vic and Lincoln Towncar in 2008 because the only sales were to fleet operators. The last model year for both was 2010. Starting with the 2008 model year, both cars were no longer offered to the general public at all.

That's not why they discontinued the line though. Ford decided they were going to discontinue the Crown Vic and Lincoln Towncar in 2008 because the only sales were to fleet operators. The last model year for both was 2010. Starting with the 2008 model year, both cars were no longer offered to the general public at all.

its a shame, they were great cars, but fuel prices the way they are made them impractical. They shoulda made it Diesel only and then the fuel economy woulda been better on it

So let em use Ford Tauruses and Chevy Impalas or that Dodge thing thats around the same size, or the Toyota Avalon would make nice cabs but theyre a bit pricey.

Hey no joke that the taxi fleet on regular size cars up here for the '2' main companies in the Hudson Valley area. The Ford Tarurus is used mostly by the handful of mom and pop companies.

its a shame, they were great cars, but fuel prices the way they are made them impractical. They shoulda made it Diesel only and then the fuel economy woulda been better on it

I agree, but I also don't think those two cars should have been on the same unchanged platform for 20 years either. Who wants a 2010 model that looks exactly the same as 1999? This was a big fail for Ford during their pre-Mullaly days. They finally get it now.

However, I think they would have been better off pitching the Taurus in lieu of the Transit Connect.

That Nissan is butt-ugly. How tall is it? It seems like seeing across the street in Manhattan or seeing ahead to the next block is about to become more difficult, unless these are not as tall as they appear.

Also, anyone know the weight on these things? I know the crown vic was relatively heavy for a car, but if these are heavy like the minivan they are based off of, it can put serious wear-and-tear on city streets.

Those Crown Vics were great. They could take beatings and still have enough power to get to speed. Not to mention the air suspension which basically absorbed every bump on the road.

Nissan should stick to making road cars, not taxis.

Archived