Official: Nissan wins bid to be next New York City taxi *UPDATE

I agree, but I also don't think those two cars should have been on the same unchanged platform for 20 years either. Who wants a 2010 model that looks exactly the same as 1999? This was a big fail for Ford during their pre-Mullaly days. They finally get it now.

However, I think they would have been better off pitching the Taurus in lieu of the Transit Connect.

Well you know the old adage."If it isn't broken,don' fix" Which was the ideology Ford followed with the Crown Vic and even the lightweight Ford Ranger.

Personally just like the (NYCTA) bus fleet why could not the city had awarded '2' contracts? You know the phrase 'don't put your eggs in 1 basket.':eek:

Something is fishy though... I thought that Turkish company Karsan was in the lead and then out of nowhere Nissan wins the bid. Bloomberg had the nerve to say that an investigation would be ridiculous. My @ss it would. And I also support the disabled folks making noise about these new cabs because why shouldn't folks w/disabilities be able to use cabs when there are models that were proposed that are ADA accessible?? :mad:

That "taxi" looks terrible and cheap, not to mention that it won't be built here. :mad: :tdown:

It looks like something that needs to STAY in Japan.

Tell that to the cabbies that have to wasted on gas.

I will :(

Well you know the old adage."If it isn't broken,don' fix" Which was the ideology Ford followed with the Crown Vic and even the lightweight Ford Ranger.

The Ranger should have been redesigned as well though. Same platform from 1991-2011 is just crazy. Thats why Ranger sales are down. I had an '02 thats looks virtually the same as the '11. They wouldn't dream of doing that with the F-150.

I think the Nissan "cab" is lame. I thought the Karsan cab was the better one of the 3 but I have questions with this whole cab campaign.

1. Why is the city going with vans for cabs?

2. Since they seem to be going with vans, why are 2 out of the 3 cabs in the running NOT Wheelchair Accessible?

3. The city had this campaign where they wanted NYers to vote on the cab they liked the most, so why would the city have people vote for a cab when they knew damn well they were going to go with the cheapest cab whether we voted on it or not?

The whole thing stinks to me and with this controversy brewing about the possibility of Nissan people being involved in the decision making for these cabs makes this whole just look rotten. NYC dropped the ball........again.

The Karsan Taxi was the best option. It would have had been built, and produced in Brooklyn. Also it would have had been ADA accessible. Bloomberg picked a taxi that won't help the disabled, or help America, and NYC itself.

The Karsan Taxi was the best option. It would have had been built, and produced in Brooklyn. Also it would have had been ADA accessible. Bloomberg picked a taxi that won't help the disabled, or help America, and NYC itself.

Bloomberg is an ******* who is illegally in office, and who continues to f*** over hard working New Yorkers to benefit his crooked Wall Street cronies. He should be the mayoral equivalent of impeached or worse.

I think the Nissan "cab" is lame. I thought the Karsan cab was the better one of the 3 but I have questions with this whole cab campaign.

1. Why is the city going with vans for cabs?

2. Since they seem to be going with vans, why are 2 out of the 3 cabs in the running NOT Wheelchair Accessible?

3. The city had this campaign where they wanted NYers to vote on the cab they liked the most, so why would the city have people vote for a cab when they knew damn well they were going to go with the cheapest cab whether we voted on it or not?

The whole thing stinks to me and with this controversy brewing about the possibility of Nissan people being involved in the decision making for these cabs makes this whole just look rotten. NYC dropped the ball........again.

Vans AKA High occupancy vehicles are more practical in a sense that more high occupant vehicles,means less sedan based cabs on the road.I was feelin the Karsan concept.Imagine cars being produced out of all places...Brooklyn!!! I love the Japanese auto industry,but I think this choice screwed thousands of New Yorkers out of a job opportunity.

Vans AKA High occupancy vehicles are more practical in a sense that more high occupant vehicles,means less sedan based cabs on the road.I was feelin the Karsan concept.Imagine cars being produced out of all places...Brooklyn!!! I love the Japanese auto industry,but I think this choice screwed thousands of New Yorkers out of a job opportunity.

To be honest, this is something I would be personally willing to protest against if the vehicles aren't made in America, and won't benifit America in the long run. I think the best bang for the buck would have been the Transit Connect. It's available in gas, gas electric hybrid, CNG, and full electric. And the Karsan option was a winner in my book as well if the car's platform has been proven.

When the DOD awarded the Tanker contract to Airbus for the KC-45, I personally called congress, blogged, and everything else. That was a totally unfair competition that should have went to Boeing from the jump. We as Americans stood up and said "Oh hell no! It's Boeing KC-46 time!"

To be honest, this is something I would be personally willing to protest against if the vehicles aren't made in America, and won't benifit America in the long run. I think the best bang for the buck would have been the Transit Connect. It's available in gas, gas electric hybrid, CNG, and full electric. And the Karsan option was a winner in my book as well if the car's platform has been proven.

When the DOD awarded the Tanker contract to Airbus for the KC-45, I personally called congress, blogged, and everything else. That was a totally unfair competition that should have went to Boeing from the jump. We as Americans stood up and said "Oh hell no! It's Boeing KC-46 time!"

But the Transit connect isn't made here,but Ford could have dedicated one of their smaller north american facilities to build it here for the sake of employing more Americans.

The Transit connect is Built in Kocaeli Turkey for the U.S Market.

Bloomberg is an ******* who is illegally in office, and who continues to f*** over hard working New Yorkers to benefit his crooked Wall Street cronies. He should be the mayoral equivalent of impeached or worse.

they might as well change it from City Hall to Bloomberg Hall...

bloomberg won't be running for office again AFAIK (of course subject to change knowing how he is), but his friends will be...

I would love to run to be Mayor of NYC. I am a massive supporter of mass transit. I don't support the rich. I have faith in green technology. I would encourage factories in NYC that has the latest technologies to have a low carbon output. I would encourage electric vehicles. Best of all I would encourage development, and the use of American (NYC) products, and give money to support, and develop industries in NYC.

Archived