4 Train Drama This Evening

The conductor closed the doors as I was running down, screamed at me to not be an idiot, and started laughing. So I smashed the door and gave him the finger. I would've shrugged off a missed train and would've patiently waited for the next if he hadn't given me the attitude.

This just shows me that you don't grow WISER as you grow older. I guess you've never heard of the phrase "Patience is a virtue.", something you should've learned....

Let me put it this way: diving in as the doors are closing is fine. Sticking hands/objects in the door to keep it from closing long enough for you to dive in is a bit risky, but if you can pull it off and not wind up dragged along the tracks by your arm then so be it. Strong language and/or the "courtesy finger" when a B/O or T/O sees you coming and shuts the doors in your face is fair game. Breaking the doors on the bus, train, etc. is decidedly not. When you pull a stunt like that you don't hurt the T/A employee you're pissed at, you just make the mechanics' days that much longer, run up a repair tab that's probably going to have your billing address on it once the court proceedings are over, and tie up the network for a good while (assuming a train they now have to empty it out, turn it around, and deadhead it. On a line as packed as the Lex that will mean tying up service in both directions and creating quite a few delays on the northbound track). Congrats: you can add a pack of Advil for the dispatcher to your tab as well. That's not counting the 1000+ people on the train who now have to wait up to 20 minutes (2-3 for the train to empty and leave, and then up to four or more trains have to go by to absorb the crowd) to continue their trip or the 5-10,000 people whose trains were more jam-packed than usual due to this crowd. In short, one moment of angry stupidity like that can screw over thousands of people who have done nothing to you (not to mention backfiring all over your sorry ass when (MTA) or others get wind of who's responsible).

My most favorite subway car was an R142A. The guy who kicked the doors should be charged for damaging property that is not his.

Ironically, it is the same guy who is always complaining about service in Yorkville and the Upper East Side, yet made it worse when he kicked that door. Go figure....

They used to tell us in schoolcar " YOU don't run for the train, the train runs for YOU". I used to watch people run down the stairs, knocking others aside, while I was being held in the station because of some delay up ahead. If they only realized how stupid they looked when they jammed themselves into a train that wasn't going anywhere. Priceless !!!. As far as C/Rs closing the doors on people running for the train there are times when the C/R is TOLD to close down, especially in rush hours on Lexington Avenue. Should he/she wait until the platform is empty? If that was the case the train would never move. In my ancient times we C/Rs were taught to perform triage at major stations during the rush. Basically that means to pick up passengers, close down, and leave the stragglers and late arrivals for the next train. This is NYC, not Podunk, and there's always another train. Carry on.

They used to tell us in schoolcar " YOU don't run for the train, the train runs for YOU". I used to watch people run down the stairs, knocking others aside, while I was being held in the station because of some delay up ahead. If they only realized how stupid they looked when they jammed themselves into a train that wasn't going anywhere. Priceless !!!. As far as C/Rs closing the doors on people running for the train there are times when the C/R is TOLD to close down, especially in rush hours on Lexington Avenue. Should he/she wait until the platform is empty? If that was the case the train would never move. In my ancient times we C/Rs were taught to perform triage at major stations during the rush. Basically that means to pick up passengers, close down, and leave the stragglers and late arrivals for the next train. This is NYC, not Podunk, and there's always another train. Carry on.

"Hey, whats the rush chief? We ain't gonna leave with out ya!" There will always be another train, just wait for it.

This city has a huge population and the subway is heavily used. A lot of people who are such in a rush will do anything to catch that train, whether to scream out load "HOLD THE TRAIN DOORS" or delay the train if its a group of people, with one idiot holding the doors while the rest of them taking time and delaying others..

If you NEED to get somewhere, PLAN AHEAD and get a damn Train or Bus Timetable instead of delaying others for yourself being late. That way you won't miss your service home. And if you don't have any of that, but you missed your train, ether wait patently for the next train or take an alternative route or service.

Kicking a train like this man did was wrong. The only thing id laugh right about now is the amount of people totally angry at this single guy. Not that it was funny for them to lose there train but still. This dude should of waited for the next train, there are plenty of (4)(5)(6)<6>s during the rush hour.

We definitely need the Second Avenue Subway, however, this won't change anything for people to stop holding the doors and delaying others.. This is PERMANENT people, so we gotta live with this bs, even if police had to enforce this.

"Hey, whats the rush chief? We ain't gonna leave with out ya!" There will always be another train, just wait for it.

Heh not unless a G/O comes in with a line suspended, then yeah they are gone.. Gotta take some other route. Whos fault it is? That person for being late.

Like kick kick it or just like tap it? Cause I smashed the door once with the bottom of my foot right as it closed in front of me but the train was fine. Did the train get stuck?

See this is what happens when you post stuff like this online.. Now you have to deal with it. Next time just keep your private issues to yourself...!

a) The days are long gone when the "next train" was literally on the heels of the first train, and the riders could see that the second train's approach lights in the tunnel.

:) There have been service reductions over the years on many lines - where (even in rush hours) it's gonna be a while for the next train. Look at the train schedules of prior decades and now - there have been reductions in service, and increases in headways.

c) Folks simply do not really trust that there is a "next train" compared to the opportunity of riding the train that is in front of them. Plenty of folk can re-count when the "next train" did not arrive for some time.

d) The train operators and conductors have been known to "take a train out of service" for such behavior at one station, and then to resume service at another station further down the line.

e) Conductors have been known to "isolate" and lock out a door (preventing it from opening) until it can be repaired. Often trains were not sent back to the train yard for a single door not working. Loading time may increase but the whole train was not taken out of service.

f) It is not a good idea to confront the person "kicking the door" that's what the police are for.

g) People being rude, inconsiderate, mis-behaving, etc. - that is just human nature - nothing new here.

Mike

Oh yeah, 1 time I was on the 7 at 74th-Broadway and the conducter said "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors" a few times becasuse of crowding. The very last time he said it at the station, he yelled and sounded mad.:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

a) The days are long gone when the "next train" was literally on the heels of the first train, and the riders could see that the second train's approach lights in the tunnel.

I sure as heck can see the next train at the Bowling Green station while waiting at Wall St for a train. Depends on which station and where you're waiting. The same is true about waiting for the (6) train at 23rd st. You can see the train or at least lights there as it is at the 28th street station. :cool:

Archived