You know you are addicted to the LIRR/MNR when...

Bonanza123d

• 1 month later...

when you can recite all those LIRR/MNR announcements from the display boards (bonus for the celebrities ones).

funny at work, when I notice something at someone's desk....I say "when you see something, say something". yes I got the rolleyes at work!

... you have a tattoo modeled after Metro

... your nickname is derived from a Metro terminus

... your cellphone wallpaper is one of the new paint schemed Genesis'

... you have a mini station sign replica next to your door

... you have 2 Metro electric train sets

... seeing M8s is always a happy surprise

... you hang out at Yonkers station to trainspot & see what new stuff is hanging out on the Kawasaki storage tracks (like M8s and PATH cars) http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31090

... you realize this list will just keep going...

i think i have a problem :)

... you have a tattoo modeled after Metro

... your nickname is derived from a Metro terminus

... your cellphone wallpaper is one of the new paint schemed Genesis'

... you have a mini station sign replica next to your door

... you have 2 Metro electric train sets

... seeing M8s is always a happy surprise

... you hang out at Yonkers station to trainspot & see what new stuff is hanging out on the Kawasaki storage tracks (like M8s and PATH cars) http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31090

... you realize this list will just keep going...

i think i have a problem :o

Prior to your post, I was wondering if your avatar was actually a tattoo. Now I know. :)

- when you refer to the train you have to take, not only by it's arrival time, but by the lead car number as well... this is done more w/ MNRR moreso than LIRR

- when you can stand at LIRR Jamaica, and w/o looking at or listening to anything.... stand there & recite approximately when the next train is scheduled to arrive on what track... FOR EACH BRANCH.....

- when you wake up out of a sound nap/sleep just seconds before the c/r comes to collect your ticket....

- when you wake up just as the train is pulling into your station....

- While on board, you recite the "This is the train to _________" announcement... and list every stop, in direct unison as it's being played.... got the timing downpacked & everything...

- You expect a certain train to be late.... and still start cursing under your breath (or even take your frustration out on the c/r's)

- You (as a passenger) held conversations with a particular c/r more than a handful of times...

- When you know the on-board ticket prices/penalty w/i your zone, but fail to remember the regular ticket price @ your station....

- When you get mad someone took "your parking spot".....

You know you're addicted to Metro North when you rather ride M2/4/6s to New Haven rather than Amtrak....

I remember Amtrak had a ad in the paper a while back where a one way ticket from NYP to NH was really cheap for Amtrak standards, like 29 bucks or some ish, I wonder how the higher ups at Metro North felt about that...

Speaking of Amtrak, rode it for the first time in years yesterday from Philly to NYP, and it was awesome, I wish commuter rail cars were as pleasant to ride as the Amfleets, those cars ride smooth as butter at 125 MPH.

You know you're addicted to Metro North when you rather ride M2/4/6s to New Haven rather than Amtrak....

I remember Amtrak had a ad in the paper a while back where a one way ticket from NYP to NH was really cheap for Amtrak standards, like 29 bucks or some ish, I wonder how the higher ups at Metro North felt about that...

Speaking of Amtrak, rode it for the first time in years yesterday from Philly to NYP, and it was awesome, I wish commuter rail cars were as pleasant to ride as the Amfleets, those cars ride smooth as butter at 125 MPH.

I rode Amtrak from NYP to NH and MN back a month ago. From a non-railfan point of view, I don't think it was worth the 107% premium over the off peak fare. Yes the seats were comfy. But I had a seat mate (something I could've avoided on MNR at 7AM on a Saturday), and she was talking constantly with the person across the aisle. No onboard announcements at all either. The suspension was smoother, but the benefit is not much greater over MNR if you don't sit over the trucks on the M2/4/6.

On the way back, the train was typical in terms of ridership. I had a seat mate too, but it was in the 3-seater so there was plenty of space. Plus the savings too!

Archived