R train filthiest, 7 cleanest, but all dirtier in general after budget cuts: ‘subway schmutz’ report

"Subway riders have had to endure filthier subway trains, thanks to last year's budget cuts that slashed cleaning staff, a report released today states.

Just 47 % of subway cars were rated clean when surveyed by the Straphangers Campaign last fall, down 4 % from the previous fall, according to the campaign's latest annual "subway schmutz" report."

Read more:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localnyc/r-train-filthiest-7-cleanest-but-all-dirtier-in-general-after-budget-cuts-subway-schmutz-report

Wait how is the (A) train not on the list of the filthiest.

Yeah, the (A) runs along one of the grimiest avenues in the city (8th Ave), so it should certainly rank up there. The (6) train sure is filthier these days, which is really pathetic seeing that they have newer trains. I guess the (MTA) doesn't see it as its darling line anymore. B)

This survey was done on the dirt on the car-body and the amount of trash inside the car, not the station on the line itself.

That some lines that are dirtier have new subway cars, which means that they're buying new cars and not maintaining them. Cleanliness is part of maintenance IMO.

The (E) is the new Homeless (E)xpress, every time I get on the (E) after 9pm, I see nothing but homeless people sitting in the last few cars.. Some folks look dead in there.

It's always been the Homeless Express and that's going back to when (E) used nothing but R46's.

It's always been the Homeless Express and that's going back to when (E) used nothing but R46's.

What a a shocker. Tho thru the years I've ridden the (E) I rarely saw homeless people till last year.

The (6) is also on the line of a Homeless Local.. As I've started seeing homeless as well on that line.. And its pretty dirty.

The (E) is the new Homeless (E)xpress, every time I get on the (E) after 9pm, I see nothing but homeless people sitting in the last few cars.. Some folks look dead in there.

LOL! Never knew that. I've used the (E) usually on weekends if traffic was bad coming up 6th on the express bus. Back then the new trains were in good shape w/no homeless folks. How quickly things change I suppose. B)

What a a shocker. Tho thru the years I've ridden the (E) I rarely saw homeless people till last year.

The (6) is also on the line of a Homeless Local.. As I've started seeing homeless as well on that line.. And its pretty dirty.

Yeah, the (6) train is getting really nasty. I've had to run out of a few cars from the homeless folks, which would probably explain the additional trash. One night I got on at Grand Central just to go down to 14th st around 23:30 and they were already on there. Two in the car, with one at each end. I had ran to the car and got on not seeing them as did some other folks and we had to wait until the next stop because the stench at one end of the car prevented us from going through the doors, so we waited until 33rd st and ran to the next car.

lets see why the (6) is so dirty lately, the mta decided to take the cleaners out of pelham bay on the midnight tour and send them to the yard. so the same dirty trains run all night into the am rush. when i worked midights at pelham i would see the cleaners sweep and mop at least 2-3 cars each before the train left again. also i saw on the news people complaining about all the garbage and food on the trains, but yet they are the same people putting the trash there.

Don't get me started about the (6). The (6) has really gone on a downward spiral to hell in the last year. This morning at Pelham Bay, there were 2 homeless bums on my train just lying there and I'm wondering where the hell the (MTA) people were to get them off the damn train. Then the subway car behind mine was super filthy with food all over the seats. Thank God the car got cleaned before we left but this line is starting to become a real mess with all these homeless people all over the train, the papers and all kinds of shit all over the floor and it's pissing me off.

To me the (6) really isn't dirty its just these people(teens and whatever) in the Bronx doing scratchitti n stuff on the windows and seats that gets me angry b\c thats my favorite train(R142A) but however late nights when or if I'm riding the (6) it smells sometimes b\c homeless conquer the corner the 4 seater where they lay in B cars and their whatever trash full of recyeclables leak and theres goes sticky smelly and dirty.I wouldn't say its the regular commuters teens messing up the train but those ghetto kids from Lehman H.S after my dental app I'm on the train with them and they be wilding out doing scratchitti n stuff.

I'm surprised my home line dropped b\c I ride the (:P to school and home and the cars are really clean except in the Summer b\c of beach go-ers they leave behind seeds,drinks and stuff.

Also with the (6) train service and headways theres really no time to clean the cars during the day it seems once the AM rush is finished around about 10:30 S/B a lot get layed up after Parkchester to the yard and then a few hrs later around 1pm the 1st express to the Bronx is at 125th.The S/B exp ends around 1130 or something.

To me the (6) really isn't dirty its just these people(teens and whatever) in the Bronx doing scratchitti n stuff on the windows and seats that gets me angry b\c thats my favorite train(R142A) but however late nights when or if I'm riding the (6) it smells sometimes b\c homeless conquer the corner the 4 seater where they lay in B cars and their whatever trash full of recyeclables leak and theres goes sticky smelly and dirty.I wouldn't say its the regular commuters teens messing up the train but those ghetto kids from Lehman H.S after my dental app I'm on the train with them and they be wilding out doing scratchitti n stuff.

I'm surprised my home line dropped b\c I ride the (:P to school and home and the cars are really clean except in the Summer b\c of beach go-ers they leave behind seeds,drinks and stuff.

Also with the (6) train service and headways theres really no time to clean the cars during the day it seems once the AM rush is finished around about 10:30 S/B a lot get layed up after Parkchester to the yard and then a few hrs later around 1pm the 1st express to the Bronx is at 125th.The S/B exp ends around 1130 or something.

I'm confused... You talk about bums being on the train and them leaving trash, etc., but then you say that the (6) train isn't really that dirty, so what is your definition of dirty?? :eek:

NYPIRG and their stupid Straphangers Campaign piss me off. Nothing better to do than bitch and moan about one train out of 29 or 30 be dirty? Shut up!

I know you're a fan of the (MTA) and all, but they're there to see that passengers are getting the level of service that they should for their money. Why do you have such a problem with that? Also, how do you come to the conclusion that one train out of 29 or 30 is dirty when you hardly use the subway?? This campaign that you hate so much is the same campaign that is out trying fighting for the passengers to keep service, but I guess you forget all of that.

I'm confused... You talk about bums being on the train and them leaving trash, etc., but then you say that the (6) train isn't really that dirty, so what is your definition of dirty?? :eek:

Sorry if I confused you,

Bums with their bags and stuff liquid leaks from whatever cans or bottles that are in that bag(usually a garbage bag) and the floor becomes sticky from the liquids and smells.

People(from what I see those H.S kids from Lehman H.S doing the scratchitti and leaving behind stuff joking and playing but I don't see them leave stuff behind its they scratch up the windows seats and do crazy stuff).

Sorry if I confused you,

Bums with their bags and stuff liquid leaks from whatever cans or bottles that are in that bag(usually a garbage bag) and the floor becomes sticky from the liquids and smells.

People(from what I see those H.S kids from Lehman H.S doing the scratchitti and leaving behind stuff joking and playing but I don't see them leave stuff behind its they scratch up the windows seats and do crazy stuff).

I get all of that. I'm just trying to understand that with what your describe and the trash and mess left behind how you can say that the trains aren't that dirty.

I get all of that.I'm just trying to understand that with what your describe and the trash and mess left behind how you can say that the trains aren't that dirty.

Well its not something on an everyday or all day thing.The cars on the six look dimmed out seats look like they're turning brown and stuff not every set but a lot.

Dirty Subway car(sticky floors and garbage left behind) with a smell

Clean(not spotless,no smell very little sign of trash).

Well its not something on an everyday or all day thing.The cars on the six look dimmed out seats look like they're turning brown and stuff not every set but a lot.

Dirty Subway car(sticky floors and garbage left behind) with a smell

Clean(not spotless,no smell very little sign of trash).

Well the (6) used to be a nice line in terms of cleanliness, but it is going downhill and fast. I actually realized that I could just take the bus to and from my destination just as fast as the subway if I time it right and there isn't tons of traffic, so I've been using the bus to get to and from my destination during lunch as opposed to walking to Grand Central for the train. A lot easier that way, but the local buses are dirtier also. They do at least change the seats though on the 5th Ave/Madison Ave lines.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a tagged R-142A on the (6) yet.Well a slight tag in the interior in the 2 seaters over the Summer.

Yeah, it's usually on the interiors. They try to clean with something, but you can still see it a little because of the light colour of the walls.

That Part About the (R) is Bullshit, They Clean those (R) trains at Both 71st and 95th and I see them clean those cars everyday when I go home, Straphangers is just a group of shit starters that like to talk shit, since the June 2010 cuts the cleaners are at 71st cleaning the (M)/® trains on the eastbound side (jamaica bound track) since they don't want them in the yards when the trains get layed up, so I dissagree with the (R) being the dirtest. and don't gene ******** russfag understand that the MTA layed off half the jobs that these cleaners had.

Archived