R train filthiest, 7 cleanest, but all dirtier in general after budget cuts: ‘subway schmutz’ report

I find the straphangers campaign report hard to believe because they don't necessarily go around every train and surveying all of their cars. I guess that the surveyors on the (R) just got on the dirty cars, that's all and not on the clean ones.

Yeah, the (A) runs along one of the grimiest avenues in the city (8th Ave), so it should certainly rank up there. The (6) train sure is filthier these days, which is really pathetic seeing that they have newer trains. I guess the (MTA) doesn't see it as its darling line anymore. :P

<6> Filthy u crazy boy

Well, I don't know how accurate this report is. Anyway I'm leaving NYC tomorrow after a month in which I rode the subway a lot. The (7) does actually seem to be in a very good condition. The (6) is dirtier I must admit, but the most annoying thing to me is that a lot of lamps in a lot of cars don't light up. The most unpleasant ride I had was actually today on the (N) (R160B). The car I got in smelled so bad that nearly everyone moved to the car in front. They should really be careful with the system's cleanliness especially after the budget cuts..

I'm confused... You talk about bums being on the train and them leaving trash, etc., but then you say that the (6) train isn't really that dirty, so what is your definition of dirty?? :eek:

I know you're a fan of the (MTA) and all, but they're there to see that passengers are getting the level of service that they should for their money. Why do you have such a problem with that? Also, how do you come to the conclusion that one train out of 29 or 30 is dirty when you hardly use the subway?? This campaign that you hate so much is the same campaign that is out trying fighting for the passengers to keep service, but I guess you forget all of that.

how much service do you want for $2.50 you cant even take a cab for that price.

It amazes me that the "R" wasn't the dirtiest long ago. I haven't lived on the line for a year and it was filthy when I rode it. The cleaners do the best they can, but the "R" has a long route and there's never enough trains for the number of people riding it.

how much service do you want for $2.50 you cant even take a cab for that price.

The question is how much service do you think we're supposed to get for $2.50? You realize that the fare here is higher than most other places and their system in far cleaner than ours, be it the bus or the subway. The fare keeps going up and we keep getting less for more. When the fare goes up again, you'll be saying the same thing.

This story is bogus simply for the the fact the (J) didn't even get mentioned.

Seeing as that's my home line, my mind was slightly boggled. Although it does appear much cleaner now that it has R160's. It's almost like people care now that there are new cars on the line. Almost.......

This survey was done on the dirt on the car-body and the amount of trash inside the car, not the station on the line itself.

Of course, some of that trash was probably left there by the Strappies themselves.

One of my old friends from high school (class of '83) volunteered with Straphangers while in college. She reports that their standing orders at the time included the following:

- Look closely for any and all litter. If even one car has even one piece of litter, the whole train counts as completely littered.

- If there is no litter, throw something on the floor of one car so that the whole train can count as fully littered.

- If one car has an incorrect roll sign, the whole train counts as being mislabeled.

- If the entire car is labeled correctly, turn one of the roll sign handles to an incorrect reading so that the whole train can count as being mislabeled.

Basically, Straphangers makes its money by complaining about problems, and thus must perpetuate those problems and oppose any effort to solve them. Allowing system improvements would defeat Straphangers' business plan and threaten its very existence, which is why it vigorously opposed the creation of the Capital Program back in 1982.

Seeing as that's my home line, my mind was slightly boggled. Although it does appear much cleaner now that it has R160's. It's almost like people care now that there are new cars on the line. Almost.......

Yeah I get ya. Still I manage to find the occasional "after party" car when I go to get the (J) even now. Which was why I was wondering. These so called straphanger investigators were probably too scared to ride it.

Of course, some of that trash was probably left there by the Strappies themselves.

One of my old friends from high school (class of '83) volunteered with Straphangers while in college. She reports that their standing orders at the time included the following:

- Look closely for any and all litter. If even one car has even one piece of litter, the whole train counts as completely littered.

- If there is no litter, throw something on the floor of one car so that the whole train can count as fully littered.

- If one car has an incorrect roll sign, the whole train counts as being mislabeled.

- If the entire car is labeled correctly, turn one of the roll sign handles to an incorrect reading so that the whole train can count as being mislabeled.

Basically, Straphangers makes its money by complaining about problems, and thus must perpetuate those problems and oppose any effort to solve them. Allowing system improvements would defeat Straphangers' business plan and threaten its very existence, which is why it vigorously opposed the creation of the Capital Program back in 1982.

That's a ridiculous statement. Now I'm not the biggest fan of the Straphangers' Campaign, because I think that they could retool how they do things. However, what I don't like about your post is it seems like you're trying to say that the passengers shouldn't have a voice, as if the (MTA) doesn't have BS stats and figures. Now the (MTA) rebuked the Straphangers' Report, giving some BS figure that over 90% of their trains are clean. :mad: Now that is total crap. (See this link for the reference http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/may/05/straphangers-and-mta-/). I don't need a campaign to tell me that the trains are filthy. I see it with my own eyes. The fact that they're now using trains to haul garbage from the subway stations certainly isn't helping to decrease the filth and grime either. It is just excerbating the problem. They are under the impression that buying new cars means that they can spend less for cleaning them and that is a terrible waste of money.

I take trains from one end to the other... it's absolutely the riders that make it filthy, period! The food, packaging, clothing, bodily waste I've seen is outright disgusting! Especially during Rush Hour when late trains are given starting lights to head right back out the cleaners simply can't keep up!

Make littering in the Subway a $400 minimum fine and let's see what happens...

PICK UP AFTER YOURSELVES- TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU!

The (E) is the new Homeless (E)xpress, every time I get on the (E) after 9pm, I see nothing but homeless people sitting in the last few cars.. Some folks look dead in there.

$104 a month for this

incorrect

It's not always urine. I once saw vomit in the corner of an (R) train. Of course I moved to the next car as soon as the doors opened.

I've seen so much puke, poop, and piss on subways (and even buses) that I've almost become desensitized to it.

Archived