MTA Bus Service Enhancements

East New York

-June

New MVM's will be installed along the Bx12 SBS line.

-September

New MVM's will be installed along 34th street for new SBS service.

-October

Begin 34th Street SBS service.

-December

Traffic signal Priority scheduled to be installed on 1st and 2nd Avenues for (M15) SBS

-January 2012

Rollout CIS system (currently used on the (B63) bus) in Staten Island, then complete installations throughout all other boroughs through 2013.

-January 2013

Nostrand Avenue (B44) SBS service has been pushed back, and is now scheduled to be up and running for January Winter Pick.

(MTA)

Don't you mean the B63?

34 St SBS to start in October, interesting. I thought it was just bus lanes, not full-scale SBS like the M15.

Thanks! And yes, the M34 will be full SBS as well. There is a full thread on it that I amd going to dig up today. It explains a little about the service.

So this has been pushed back from this year?? :mad: Figures... :)

Yes, they pushed it back. If by chance it does happen this year, it will be in December.

I have a strange feeling that they'll use the CIS system to cut service rather than improve.

They may cut the schedule on the excuse that riders should "know before they go", but they will have to improve service reliability. Because once the media and the public can see the real picture of where the buses are, and if the bus is missing or bunched, the MTA will come under fire. Especially on routes where traffic is a problem.

They may cut the schedule on the excuse that riders should "know before they go", but they will have to improve service reliability. Because once the media and the public can see the real picture of where the buses are, and if the bus is missing or bunched, the MTA will come under fire. Especially on routes where traffic is a problem.

Yeah, just a couple of days ago I was at Court & Atlantic and there was a good 4 B63s bunched up at the corner, each one emptier than the next & all advertising the BusTime system at that. The MTA would leave you to believe that the BusTime would make things a little more reliable but things don't seem to be changing.

And on SI, I think we'll be highly disappointed! We'll just get to know ahead of time that the buses are running late and unexpectedly have to change plans. And what happens with the CIS system, if the bus is skipping stops because it's too crowded? That happens a lot on the buses out of St. George.

Yeah, just a couple of days ago I was at Court & Atlantic and there was a good 4 B63s bunched up at the corner, each one emptier than the next & all advertising the BusTime system at that. The MTA would leave you to believe that the BusTime would make things a little more reliable but things don't seem to be changing.

And on SI, I think we'll be highly disappointed! We'll just get to know ahead of time that the buses are running late and unexpectedly have to change plans. And what happens with the CIS system, if the bus is skipping stops because it's too crowded? That happens a lot on the buses out of St. George.

I'm sure the system would be able to track the bus if it sees that it has "Next Bus Please" on it, and it wouldn't show it as a bus, if nothing else because it doesn't know which route it is (I guess the way a "Not in Service" bus would be displayed on the system)

I guess that the passenger is no worse off, though, if the bus bypasses the stop. If there was no tracking system, they wouldn't know that the bus was even coming (they would probably be a little bit better off, though: They would be able to see where the bus behind the crowded bus is, so they would get an idea of how long they would have to wait for the next one)

What's the purpose of this? All of them look fine from my eyes, well not cosmetically.

Either to match them with the MVM's used on the M15 or to add some MVM's at the busiest stops, such as Fordham Plaza or Pelham Bay Park.

I thought (M15) SBS TSP begins in Summer and only in Lower Manhattan?

Did they change to full length TSP?

Not that I know of. The TSP he's referring to is probably the lower Manhattan one.

-June

-January 2013

Nostrand Avenue (B44) SBS service has been pushed back, and is now scheduled to be up and running for January Winter Pick.

(MTA)

I wish they pushed it back to January 2083....

regardless, thanks for this bit of info, fam.

Que???

Was this community opposition or money problems or what?

Que???

Was this community opposition or money problems or what?

We won't have enough artics to cover the line by next summer. The Nova order is about 7 months behind schedule, and the New Flyer artics won't start arriving till the end of next summer. And that's if they end up being on time!

That being said, It doesn't look like Baisley Park or JFK will be getting any artics before the end of next year either.

We won't have enough artics to cover the line by next summer. The Nova order is about 7 months behind schedule, and the New Flyer artics won't start arriving till the end of next summer. And that's if they end up being on time!

That being said, It doesn't look like Baisley Park or JFK will be getting any artics before the end of next year either.

That makes a lot of sense. Oh well, at least we get to enjoy the LTD for a while longer.

-June

New MVM's will be installed along the Bx12 SBS line.

Just to let you know, the new MVM's are now at the 207th St and Broadway stop (the first stop to Bay Plaza) on the Bx12SBS. I saw it last night on my way home. So far, it's the only stop with the new machines.

Just to let you know, the new MVM's are now at the 207th St and Broadway stop (the first stop to Bay Plaza) on the Bx12SBS. I saw it last night on my way home. So far, it's the only stop with the new machines.

Do they look much different from the original ones?

that's a shame they are behind schedule like always.

• 5 months later...

-November

Begin 34th Street SBS service.

-December

Rollout CIS system (currently used on the (B63) bus) in Staten Island, then complete installations throughout all other boroughs through March 2013.

Bus Farebox Component Replacement Phase 1 scheduled for completion

-January 2013

Award Bus Farebox Component Replacement Phase 2

-March 2012

Traffic signal Priority scheduled to be installed on 1st and 2nd Avenues for (M15) SBS. This date has been pushed back from the original completion date of January 2012.

-April 2012

Phase 1 of the Bus Lane Enforcement camera roll-out is set to begin.

-December 2012/January 2013

Nostrand Avenue (B44) SBS service is scheduled to be up and running by January Winter Pick.

(MTA)

I have a strange feeling that they'll use the CIS system to cut service rather than improve.

I don't see how. They've cut service to the bare bones as it is for the most part, so there isn't too much more to cut. I heard on the news the other day that the tracking service is supposed to roll out at the end of the year, so I don't know... I'm also wondering with the amount of old express buses esp. out of Castleton how much this is going to cost, because those buses will have to be replaced soon since they're the oldest express fleet in the system.

Archived