+SBS+ Discusion

R188 7857

Q60 needs it!!! Here's why:

-Overcrowded

-too many stops

-very slow at times

On the Q66, they at least need a limited badly. Both routes have too many stops and are slow when alot of stops are requested. I don't like it.

Also at rush hours, they should make a Q38 limited, and have some buses (for PM rush) start at 59 Street/Queens-Woodhaven Blvds.

Q60 should at least get a Limited if not SBS..make it stop at subway stops only or something

Q38 doesn't need it, 38 doesnt pick up that much. Reason why 38 is slow is because of the twisty turny route when it goes through Middle Village

Q66 idk as i never rode it but i heard its really bad (which is why i will stay off it lol)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in a nutshell:

- B41

- B46

- Bx55

- M86

It's never going to happen on the B46, so you can scratch that one!

Frankly I don't even understand why the (M34) is getting it. (M14), (M23), (M34), (M42), you name it: slow, heavily used crosstowns. But to a certain degree I can't understand why +SBS+ will even help. +SBS+ doesn't eliminate the traffic on the streets, and it requires a very wide street for a functioning bus lane. 42nd and 34th are generally four lanes (a.k.a one car lane, one bus lane each side) and I don't actually understand why +SBS+ will help considering those crosstowns stop literally every block... In terms of fare payment, maybe it'll speed things up, but with that many tourists I'd think it'd be a nightmare.

M15 +SBS+ is phenomenal though. I still haven't taken the (Bx12) just cause I haven't needn't to and didn't have the chance to otherwise, but when I need to I've taken the M15 +SBS+ from 96 to 14 in literally 25 minutes, which is almost as quick as the (4).

34th Street will have Bus Priority lanes where cars will not be able to drive. Therefore, the route will be sped up quite nicely. Off-board payment will be explained in detail at all bus stops. And traffic will actually be all but eliminated for 2 reasons. The barrier/dedicated bus lanes prevent lanes from being accessed by other vehicles. Non-bus traffic will be completely eliminated between 5th and 6th Avs.

34th Street will also become a one way in both directions. Westbound only west of 6th Av, and eastbound only east of 5th Av.

It's never going to happen on the B46, so you can scratch that one!

Suffice to say that this is disappointing, considering it's the 2nd-busiest bus line in the whole city we're talking about [i believe M15 +SBS dethroned it from 1st]

Farebeating needs to lie down in a ditch and die.

34th Street will have Bus Priority lanes where cars will not be able to drive. Therefore, the route will be sped up quite nicely. Off-board payment will be explained in detail at all bus stops. And traffic will actually be all but eliminated for 2 reasons. The barrier/dedicated bus lanes prevent lanes from being accessed by other vehicles. Non-bus traffic will be completely eliminated between 5th and 8th Avs IIRC.

34th Street will also become a one way in both directions. Westbound only west of 8th Av, and eastbound only east of 5th Av.

I thought they ditched that plan

Since 86th St gets crowded, I wondered if the M86 should have SBS. If SBS were implemented on the line, I figured it could one of the few examples of 24/7 SBS.

I thought about the M14, but in a few places 14th St is far too crowded for this to actually work out.

I'd say the Bx55. considering it's intended to be a Subway Line's replacement, but given how quick the MTA wants to kill it off....

I'd also suggest the Bx1 and M101, but I guess that's not popular for having a large portion of the route duplicate the subway [even though both bus lines serve neighborhoods that their nearby train lines don't go anywhere near]

Obligatory B41/B46 suggestions.

So in a nutshell:

- B41

- B46

- Bx55

- M86

It won't be on the B41. IMO it's a better choice than the B44 in terms of ridership and needs, But Flatbush Avenue is too narrow for a bus lane.

I'd also replace the (Bx55) with the (Bx15)

Correction: No car traffic between 5th & 6th Avs.

Suffice to say that this is disappointing, considering it's the 2nd-busiest bus line in the whole city we're talking about [i believe M15 +SBS dethroned it from 1st]

Farebeating needs to lie down in a ditch and die.

The B46 is actually the busiest line in the city, but nothing will help out with the traffic situation on Utica Av.

I thought they ditched that plan

I was told it was just put on hold, and that's why the date was pushed up to this fall. They want to start now, and implement the "Transitway" in the near future. See the PDF &/or info page linked below.

Oh there is a barrier? I thought it was like on 1st ave., where you can just use the bus lane if you're turning. That sounds a lot quicker!

Last I heard it was still a go.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/34st.html (see video here)

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/images/34th.pdf

Oh there is a barrier? I thought it was like on 1st ave., where you can just use the bus lane if you're turning. That sounds a lot quicker!

According to East Launch Action, they want to convert two eastbound lanes of East 86th St to buses only and eastbound traffic east of 3rd Av and west of 3rd Av, westbound traffic.

Q60 needs it!!! Here's why:

-Overcrowded

-too many stops

-very slow at times

On the Q66, they at least need a limited badly. Both routes have too many stops and are slow when alot of stops are requested. I don't like it.

Also at rush hours, they should make a Q38 limited, and have some buses (for PM rush) start at 59 Street/Queens-Woodhaven Blvds.

That is what I was going to propose. I live on Northern Blvd so I rely on the Q66 for service and it is slow. Service is erratic at best, and it does have to cover a long route from Queens Plaza, a very busy transportation hub to where it provides connections to 10 different bus routes, direct and indirect connections to 7 different subway lines such as the IRT Flushing Line or the (7)<7> Train, the BMT Astoria Line or the (N) & (Q) lines, the IND Queens Blvd Line or the (E), (M), & (R) lines and 63rd Street Line or the (F), to another extremely busy transportation hub, Flushing-Main Street, in which it provides connections to 23 different bus routes, the IRT Flushing Line (7)<7>, and the Long Island Railroad’s Port Washington’s Branch.

These suggestions that I present in this post are not just meant to improve service on the Q66 route, but to improve connections on this busy important route, and to provide better options for those wishing better and faster commutes around Queens. convert some of the runs of the Q66 into Limited Bus runs, proving faster, reliable service to commuters. The line intersects with many important bus lines, and some of them are routes that serve LaGuardia Airport, while others run to areas such as Forest Hills, Astoria and Sunnyside. As such, here are the stops to which I propose there should be Limited Stop Service as well as their reasons.

-Queens Plaza (Terminal)- Connections to the Q32, Q39, Q60, Q67, Q69, Q100, Q101, Q102, B62, as well as the (7)<7> and the (N) & (Q) lines at the Queensboro Plaza and the (E), (M), & (R) lines at Queens Plaza.

-21st Street & 41st Avenue- Connections to the Q69 & Q100 and the (F) line at the 21st Street-Queensbridge subway station.

-21st Street & 35th Avenue

-35th Avenue & 31st Street- Connections to the Q102 and the (N) & (Q) lines at 36th Avenue.

-35th Avenue & Steinway Street- Connections to the Q101 and the (M) & (R) trains at the Steinway Street Station at Steinway and 34th Avenue/Broadway.

-Northern Blvd & 48th Street- Connections to the Q104, and improved service to the shopping center at 48th Street.

-Northern Blvd & Broadway- Connections to the Q18 and the (M) & (R) lines at the Northern Blvd Station.

-Northern Blvd & 69th/70th Streets

-Northern Blvd & 72nd/74th Streets- Connection to the Q47 for either the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave Transit Complex or the Marine Air Terminal at LaGuardia Airport.

-Northern Blvd & 82nd Streets- Connections to the Q32 to Midtown-Penn Station and the Q33 for either the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave Transit Complex or LaGuardia Airport-Central Terminal.

-Northern Blvd & 89th/90th Streets- Connection to the Q49 for either the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave Transit Complex or East Elmhurst.

-Northern Blvd & Junction Blvd- Connection to the Q72 for LaGuardia Airport-Central Terminal or 63rd Drive-Rego Park.

-Northern Blvd & 102/103 Streets- Connection to the Q23 for East Elmhurst or Forest Hills.

-Northern Blvd & 108th Street- Connection to the Q48 for LaGuardia Airport

-And all local stops to Flushing-Main Street.

Just a few ideas.

There should be Bus Turn Prioty for buses turning left from northbound 21st St to westbound 41st Av and southbound 21st St to eastbound Queens Blvd.

Any buses that turning there having problem and they had to turn on red light because oncoming traffic wouldn't let bus go through.

At the current headways, the only time when a limited could be implemented is during rush hours, east of Northern Blvd/Broadway (at least it allows riders along Northern Blvd to access a subway station)

I think all of the stops you listed are good except for 69th Street: It doesn't provide a transfer to any bus routes, and is close to the 73rd Street stop.

I also think that the limited should continue to make limited stops east of 108th Street: The next stop should be College Point Blvd, and then the (7)<7> subway station. There is a large enough number of people boarding from Flushing to make it feasable to start the limited stops outright.

The reason why I don't have any more limited stops east of 108 Street is because there is only 5 stops between 108 and Flushing-Main Street. These are-

Northern & 110

Northern & 127

Northern & Main St

Main St & 35 Aves

Main St & 39/Roosevelt Aves (Terminal).

The first two (110 & 127 Sts) rarely have any passengers, the Q66 roars past it most of the time. The Q66 does not and cannot stop at College Pt. Blvd because it goes through an overpass right after turning into Northern to get over the Van Wyck Expressway and Flushing Bay. Also, the last three are pretty much very close to each other. I agree with you on the status of the proposed 69th Street stop, as it might too close and redundant for it to be of any use.

1. Queens Blvd could use both TSP for Bus and Bicycles.

2. I think 2nd Av Bus TSP should install around traffic area from 60th St to 34th St to improve M15 Local/SBS, Q101 and detour Q32 bus (during closure), any Spring Creek Express buses, etc. Also protected Bus Only Left Turn at 60th St/2nd Av, especially Q60.

Q60 also having hard time accessing Queensboro Bridge because cars from inbound lanes wouldn't let Q60 turn unless if there's traffic agent.

• 3 weeks later...

Q69 SBS or LTD:

Toward LIC

82nd St/Astoria Blvd

78th St/Astoria Blvd

Ditmars Blvd/Hazen St

Ditmars Blvd/Steinway St

Ditmars Blvd/31st St

Ditmars Blvd/21st St

21st St/Hoyt Av-Astoria Blvd

21st St/30th Av

21st St/Broadway

Ditmars Blvd/35th Av

Ditmars Blvd/41st Av

Queens Plaza South/Crescent St

Toward East Elmhurst

28th St/Queens Blvd

44th Drive/Hunters St

44th Drive/21st St

21st St/Queens Plaza North

21st St/41st Av

21st St/35th Av

21st St/Broadway

21st St/Astoria Blvd-Hoyt Av

Ditmars Blvd/21st St

Ditmars Blvd/31st St

Ditmars Blvd/Steinway St

Ditmars Blvd/Hazen St

Ditmars Blvd/78 St

Ditmars Blvd/81st St

82nd St/23rd Av

(M15) sbs would be better if it wasnt so dam slow everyday I gotta wait 20 minutes for a slow bus line and the bus is always empty.

Is it that bad??? why not revive elevated train service like a guideway for buses this can replace SBS or make it even faster. but they will have to change the streets and such I dont even know if its possible. o well just walk and use subway if you want speed. the 2nd ave subway will probably rape the M15 SBS

(M15) sbs would be better if it wasnt so dam slow everyday I gotta wait 20 minutes for a slow bus line and the bus is always empty.

I know how you feel.

M15 SBS faces following reason why it is late:

1. Ongoing 2nd Av Subway

2. Traffic to 59th St Tunnel

3. Traffic to QM Tunnel.

Also, during United Nations or NYC Marathon, it gets worth.

When I get M15 SBS, some SBS trips does not come from 126th St Depot and some B/O just go to 125th St.

Its 20 mins because it is delayed of traffic and it is not always empty considering the fact that the SBS buses are 62 feet!

Archived