57th St/9th-10th Avs

11th Av/57th St

West End Av/59th-60th Sts

West End Av/63rd St

West End Av/66th St

West End Av/69th St

72nd St/West End Av

72nd St/Broadway

M86 have hard boarding at subway interchange.

Westbound:

York Av/92nd-91st Sts

York Av/88th St

York Av/86th St

86th St/1st Av

86th St/2nd Av

86th St/3rd Av

86th St/Lexington Av

86th St/Madison Av

86th St/5th Av

86th St Transverse Rd/NYPD Precint

86th St/Central Park West

86th St/Columbus-Amsterdam Avs

86th St/Broadway

West End Av/87th-86th Sts

Eastbound:

86th St/West End Av-Broadway

86th St/Amsterdam-Columbus Avs

86th St/Central Park West

86th St Transverse Rd/NYPD Precint

84th St/5th Av

86th St/Madison Av

86th St/Lexington-3rd Avs

86th St/2nd Av

86th St/1st Av

York Av/86th St

York Av/88th St

91st St/York Av

1st Av/91st St

M96 also have hard time also.

M96 SBS:

Eastbound:

96th St/West End Av-Broadway

96th St/Amsterdam-Columbus Avs

96th St/Central Park West

96th St/5th Av

96th St/Madison Av

96th St/Lexington-3rd Avs

96th St/2nd Av

97th St/1st Av

Westbound

97th St/1st-2nd Avs

96th St/2nd Av

96th St/3rd Av

96th St/Lexington Av

96th St/Madison Av

97th St/5th Av

Central Park West/97th St

96th St/Columbus-Amsterdam Avs

96th St/Broadway

97th St/West End Av

I totally disagree of ANY +SBS+ bus lines on the following crosstown streets

14, 23, 57, 96.

The purpose of having +SBS+ is to increase service levels on under-performing bus lines.

M14 does pretty well. M23 IS VERY SLOW but doesn't warrant a SBS and forget 57th and 96th.. TRAFFIC HEADACHES....

That depends on which part of Main Street you are talking about. People will start going nuts if they lose the limited parking spaces they have over there.

I think the (MTA) stopped taking up parking spaces for SBS. Now they take away a lane from traffic.

I think the (M23) should get it. That bus crawls down 23rd st and slows down all of the other express buses. If not that then give it priority signal and a bus lane and cut out all of the damn double parking along 23rd st. :mad:

Yes, but what about the (M42)? remember when the guy on the bike "raced" the (M42) across 42 St & won?

I think the (MTA) stopped taking up parking spaces for SBS. Now they take away a lane from traffic.

Not exactly.

Both are still around.

There's the curbside bus lane, at the curb (obviously), and the offset bus lane, one lane away from traffic.

The Bx12 has curbside lanes, the M34 has curbside lanes but it's supposed to get offset lanes next year, the M15 has a mixture of both and the B44 is also supposed to have a mixture of both (but mainly offset)

Curbside bus lanes aren't really going anywhere.

Based on some posts by Interested Rider in the "SBS on local bus routes" thread started by Triborough Bridge and based on what Allan Rosen (BrooklynBus) once said about sending the B49 straight up Ocean Av, beyond Foster Av. I would have it do this:

Northbound: West on Oriental Blvd, north on West End Av, east on Emmons Av, north on Ocean Av, east on Empire Blvd, north on Washington Av, north on Classon Av, northeast on Rutledge Street, northwest on Bedford Avenue, to the last stop at Bedford Av-North 7th St.

Then the bus goes southeast on North 7th St to make the return trip southbound. Then:

Southbound: Southwest on Driggs Av, west on Division Av, south on Wythe Av, south on Franklin Av, west on Empire Blvd, south on Ocean Av, west on Emmons Av, south on West End Av, east on Oriental Blvd, to the last stop at MacKenzie St (KCC).

Bus stops are listed below. A bus stop is followed by a slash, which is followed by at least one of the trip generators at that stop.

Northbound stops:

Oriental Blvd-MacKenzie St / KCC

Oriental Blvd-Hastings St / School

West End Av-Oriental Blvd / B1

Emmons Av-West End Av / B4

Ocean Av-Emmons Av / businesses

Ocean Av-Av Z / B4, B36

Ocean Av-Av U / B3

Ocean Av-Kings Hy / B7, B82

Ocean Av-Av J / B6, B11, Brooklyn College a few blocks up

Ocean Av-Foster Av / B8

Ocean Av-Church Av / B35

Ocean Av-Parkside Av / B12, (Q)

Empire Blvd-Flatbush Av / B16, B41, B43, (:((Q)

Classon Av-Eastern Pky / B45 at St. John's Pl, (2)(3) and Brooklyn Museum of Art at Washington Av, (2)(3)(4)(5) at Franklin Av

Classon Av-Fulton St / B25, B48, (C) at Franklin Av

Classon Av-LaFayette Av / B38, (G), Pratt Institute

Classon Av-Flushing Av / B57, B62

Bedford Av-Hewes St / B44 SBS

Bedford Av-Taylor St / B44 SBS

Bedford Av-Broadway / businesses, small museum

Bedford Av-Grand St / Q59, businesses

Bedford Av-North 7th St / (L)

Southbound:

Driggs Av-North 7th St

Driggs Av-Grand St

Driggs Av-Broadway

Wythe Av-Clymer St

Wythe Av-Williamsburg St East

Franklin Av-Flushing Av

Franklin Av-LaFayette Av

Franklin Av-Fulton St

Franklin Av-St. John's Pl

Empire Blvd-Washington Av

Ocean Av-Parkside Av

Ocean Av-Church Av

Ocean Av-Foster Av

Ocean Av-Av J

Ocean Av-Kings Hy

Ocean Av-Av U

Ocean Av-Av Z

Emmons Av-Ocean Av

West End Av-Emmons Av

Oriental Blvd-West End Av

Oriental Blvd-Hastings St

Oriental Blvd-MacKenzie St

22 stops altogether.

I am not sure what should be done with the B49 local.

Please look at google maps as needed. Sorry about the lack of a drawing, but I did not have the time to make one. I may make one when I have the time and if this thread is still alive at that point. My apologies.

I like this idea for a (B49) SBS with the stops that you designated. However, I don't think the Local buses should be changed at all. The (B49) as far as I know only has a limited stop variation only in the morning rush going toward Manhattan Beach.

You're using SBS to justify an extension of the B49 to williamsburg & a revival of the portion of the B48 that was cut ?

Your rendition of what a "B49 SBS" should do, is exactly what I talk about when I make reference of a "super route"....

Sorry, don't agree with this idea at all.....

You're using SBS to justify an extension of the B49 to williamsburg & a revival of the portion of the B48 that was cut ?

Your rendition of what a "B49 SBS" should do, is exactly what I talk about when I make reference of a "super route"....

Sorry, don't agree with this idea at all.....

I have to agree with B35 on this one. You will have the 44 SBS right next to it as well. The bus doesn't need to go to Williamsburg either. Not only that, but the ridership doesn't warrant an SBS before about 10 other routes anyway.

So I say no to a 49 SBS.

The problem with the B/44 Select Bus is Nostrand Avenue is not wide (as compared with Ocean Avenue) south of Farragut Road as it is two way with one lane for traffic and one for parking. There are four major points of trouble Glenwood Road to Flatbush Avenue, just south of the junction, just north of Avenue L and between Avenues M & N. it will not work if these four problems are not resolved before it is implemented.

I have bought this to the TA & NYCDOT attention both at the meetings and in writing as they are planning to place 60' buses on both the B/44 local and select bus routes. This is why I suggested that Ocean Avenue be an alternative south of the junction as Ocean Avenue is three lanes in each direction at that point as compared with Nostrand Avenue. When I appeared at one of these meetings, I told them that it will help the B/49 by operating on Rogers Avenue and that B/49 service must be retained.

As far as the extension to Manhattan (34th Street & 1st Avenue), I think the best reason could be seen in the New York Daily News today where a merchant was commenting on how much business was lost last weekend as the L train was not running.

The problem with the B/44 Select Bus is Nostrand Avenue is not wide (as compared with Ocean Avenue) south of Farragut Road as it is two way with one lane for traffic and one for parking. There are four major points of trouble Glenwood Road to Flatbush Avenue, just south of the junction, just north of Avenue L and between Avenues M & N. it will not work if these four problems are not resolved before it is implemented.

I have bought this to the TA & NYCDOT attention both at the meetings and in writing as they are planning to place 60' buses on both the B/44 local and select bus routes. This is why I suggested that Ocean Avenue be an alternative south of the junction as Ocean Avenue is three lanes in each direction at that point as compared with Nostrand Avenue. When I appeared at one of these meetings, I told them that it will help the B/49 by operating on Rogers Avenue and that B/49 service must be retained.

As far as the extension to Manhattan (34th Street & 1st Avenue), I think the best reason could be seen in the New York Daily News today where a merchant was commenting on how much business was lost last weekend as the L train was not running.

But if you move it to Ocean Avenue, it's not serving the people it's supposed to. Remember that southern Nostrand Avenue is a two-fare zone: The people are dependant on taking a bus to reach the subway (even if they aren't actually paying 2 fares), and +SBS+ is suppoed to shorten the time they spend reaching the subway. By contrast, Ocean Avenue is right by the subway. I'm saying no to this as well.

As far as 34th Street/1st Avenue, I still don't see how the B44 or B49 would in any way, shape or form parallel the (L), not to mention that, as I said before, it would make the new route too unreliable.

This should be the spot to mention this.

If I said it before I'll say it again. The (MTA) needs to implement +SBS on the (Q46). And maybe just maybe the (Q43).

The (Q46) 90% of the time is packed during rush hours. And the buses as they are inconsistely bunches up so it'd need to be eased up on congestion with faster boarding & even the use of artic buses.

Not a fan of making the B49SBS, as I would think imposing rush-hour LTD service would be the first step to rendering "OK" service on that line; that, and additional SLDs along the route -- they're only located at Ocean Ave & Avenue U, the Loop, and sometimes at E. 16th-Sheepshead Bay Station stop. No SBS.

• 1 month later...

Yes, but what about the (M42)? remember when the guy on the bike "raced" the (M42) across 42 St & won?

That whole little event was an isolated incident, it does not reflect on how a line actually runs. The M42 is not the "slug" that people make it out to be. It only moves slowly during certain times of the day. The M23 is and always will be a slower line then the M42.

Not sure how long this has been up, but sure happy DOT is looking into it:

Bus Rapid Transit - Utica Avenue Bus Priority and Safety Improvement Study

Their studies should show, around Church Ave & Utica Ave area, dozens of cars are constantly double parking, which narrows down traffic to literally one lane per direction which slows everything up. Not sure why ticket agents aren't enforcing the regulations much over there.

Now between Empire Blvd. and St. Johns Place, the only action I can think of, is creating a transit mall between Carroll St. and St. Johns, sorta of how they have it now Downtown Brooklyn on Fulton Street (Fulton Mall), where traffic is restricted to buses only.

Semi-SBS, then? lol

Not sure how long this has been up, but sure happy DOT is looking into it:

Bus Rapid Transit - Utica Avenue Bus Priority and Safety Improvement Study

Their studies should show, around Church Ave & Utica Ave area, dozens of cars are constantly double parking, which narrows down traffic to literally one lane per direction which slows everything up. Not sure why ticket agents aren't enforcing the regulations much over there.

Now between Empire Blvd. and St. Johns Place, the only action I can think of, is creating a transit mall between Carroll St. and St. Johns, sorta of how they have it now Downtown Brooklyn on Fulton Street (Fulton Mall), where traffic is restricted to buses only.

Semi-SBS, then? lol

Looks like this is for Phase 2 for +SBS+ I believe Flatbush Avenue is also part of the Phase 2 project with the DOT.. (I may be wrong)

Wow, are they seriously considering putting SBS on an Upper East Side/Upper West Side crosstown bus? That would never work, and there would be so much public outcry if they even suggested adding a bus only lane. The whole area is residential, so there's always people double parking to load/unload, car services waiting for people, and people hailing cabs.

Wow, are they seriously considering putting SBS on an Upper East Side/Upper West Side crosstown bus? That would never work, and there would be so much public outcry if they even suggested adding a bus only lane. The whole area is residential, so there's always people double parking to load/unload, car services waiting for people, and people hailing cabs.

Agreed, this is a just waste of money. Hopefully this never goes through. This is idea is worse then putting arctics on M96 or M66.

The b15,bx15,m5,q43,q5,s62,bx5, and the s89. These busesttui should sbs.

SBS will NOT work on the B15..

The B15 route has too many turns, and not streamlined enough to warrant SBS. New Lots/Hegeman (Congestion), Ralph Ave (Congestion), and Lewis Ave (Congestion). Limited to the AIRPORT, I would say YES, and local to Forbell Street, than late night everything to be local.

But it has been discussed on the board that even a limited may not warrant service.

Hillside and Merrick Ltds do very well but to warrant +SBS+ coverage, I dunno. Haven't been in queens in a while to study that. Queens people may have a better knowledge better than me on this one.

SBS will NOT work on the B15..

The B15 route has too many turns, and not streamlined enough to warrant SBS. New Lots/Hegeman (Congestion), Ralph Ave (Congestion), and Lewis Ave (Congestion). Limited to the AIRPORT, I would say YES, and local to Forbell Street, than late night everything to be local.

But it has been discussed on the board that even a limited may not warrant service.

Hillside and Merrick Ltds do very well but to warrant +SBS+ coverage, I dunno. Haven't been in queens in a while to study that. Queens people may have a better knowledge better than me on this one.

I was told that Merrick Blvd folks didn't want SBS because of the loss of parking. As for Hillside I dunno but in the near future (Hopefully) it may get +SBS via the (Q43).

Archived