This is unusual

Cait Sith

I think that will be the ONLY set that will be mixed. Somebody said that the R142s and R142As mixed a while back, but do you see em mixed now? NO.

not anymore. 8848-8852 is now coupled with 8958-8962. I was all smiles when I saw 8848-8852 again until I saw 8958-8962 coupled to it..... :(

I think that will be the ONLY set that will be mixed. Somebody said that the R142s and R142As mixed a while back, but do you see em mixed now? NO.

R142s and R142A's can't run together because one is slightly faster than the other, which means if the faster set isn't leading (i forget which is faster) it will push the other cars along which equals bucking broncos and a very uncomfortable ride. it was tried once, never again (at least in passenger service)

R142s and R142A's can't run together because one is slightly faster than the other, which means if the faster set isn't leading (i forget which is faster) it will push the other cars along which equals bucking broncos and a very uncomfortable ride. it was tried once, never again (at least in passenger service)

The siemens R160 is faster than the astom onix 160s. Unless that alstom onix 160 in the video was on HGH or something. The reason the 142/As mixed sets didnt work is because there made by two different builders. The mixed r160 set this thread is about both sets are made by kawasaki. Wheres in the 142/A case one set was made by junkbardier and kawasaki. thats the reason it didnt work out with the 142/A.

And on a side note the R68/A cant run in mixed sets either. Same goes the 62/As.

The siemens R160 is faster than the astom onix 160s. Unless that alstom onix 160 in the video was on HGH or something. The reason the 142/As mixed sets didnt work is because there made by two different builders. The mixed r160 set this thread is about both sets are made by kawasaki. Wheres in the 142/A case one set was made by junkbardier and kawasaki. thats the reason it didnt work out with the 142/A.

And on a side note the R68/A cant run in mixed sets either. Same goes the 62/As.

Alstom sets are OOS because they are receiving an "upgrade". Maybe it's a compatibility upgrade (or just gearbox problems).

An (N) R160B with two different propulsion motors Alstom ONIX and Siemens in one train. That's more eye-popping than just watching an R40M mixed with R42 trains on the (B) and (W) and seeing R32's and R38s mixed together on the (A) and (C)

What kind of an idiot couples two different trains together? It had to have been on a Monday.

Actually since they both have the same operating systems just different propulsions it shouldnt be a problem.

Then again this is RTO and anything can happen.

Actually since they both have the same operating systems just different propulsions it shouldnt be a problem.

Then again this is RTO and anything can happen.

True. But if it was a Monday, the workers were pissed that their weekend ended early and smacked the Siemens and the Kawasaki together.

What should we call it? The Seimesaki R160 or the Kawamiens R160?

True. But if it was a Monday, the workers were pissed that their weekend ended early and smacked the Siemens and the Kawasaki together.

What should we call it? The Seimesaki R160 or the Kawamiens R160?

Dont work that way down here YardMasters and Yard T/O's wont put those sets together unless car equipment OK's it.

You think they would just do it "in spite" with those 1.2 million dollar each cars, something goes down and they have issues then the Yard Master and perhaps the T/O's get burned over it?

I think not.

What kind of an idiot couples two different trains together? It had to have been on a Monday.

How about this might've been a test to see if R160s with Alstom Onix Propulsion can run with R160s with Siemens Propulsion well in revenue service.

Has there been any news about the compatibility?

Also I heard that R160s are running on the (W) now. Can someone confirm?

Yea, its been confirmed on Subchat. Its only been one set that showed up for a few days, but yes, R160s on the (W), here they come.

It certainly sounded like it. Great catch there. You would catch me on the Siemens side. That doesn't read right does it. ;)

LMAO, I'll leave this joke for DOB. B)

Hey is that error and Phil doing what they do best?

lol :P

Overall, nice catch and its really interesting that they are choosing to mix these sets. But one question, why not order a model with all the same propulsion rather than dealing with issues of different companies and parts etc.?

Has there been any news about the compatibility?

Also I heard that R160s are running on the (W) now. Can someone confirm?

Seen it myself today the same train has been running on the (W) iskey since last week...

8917 on the North and 8857 on the South a Siemens Train..

Oh my...this is unusual and a rare sight!

I rode a R40 (N) southbound from 59th Street-Lexington Avenue at 7:57PM. The lead car was 4497. I missed the R40s, especially the AC.

By now they gotta be rare. It was a gift. It could be the last.

Oh my...this is unusual and a rare sight!

I rode a R40 (N) southbound from 59th Street-Lexington Avenue at 7:57PM. The lead car was 4497. I missed the R40s, especially the AC.

The R40M on the (N) ran into service on Monday cause of a problem with one of the R160Bs

Archived