I remember when... bus edtion

Q43LTD

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I remember that as well, the (S48) used to run to Goethals Road and the (S40) ran to Arlington. I used to have family that lived off of Richmond Terrace in the 90s and we would wait up to a hour or more sometimes for a S40 to show up.

-Anyone remember the S60.. too soon lol?

-There used to be a short-turn S62 (or S61) that used to terminate at some street called Cantebury Avenue. I haven't seen that destination in a very long time.

-Anyone remember when SI had received Old Gen Hybrids for a month and Yukon ran those things into the ground? They were so dinged up that they had to be heavily repaired when they got back to Manhattan.

-Oh, and how about when leaving the ferry at St. George and the bus dispatcher comes on the loudspeaker and says "Attention riders of the S40, S42, S46, S48, S51, S52, S62, S66, S67, and S74, the bus has broken down on the way to the ferry, the next bus is in thirty minutes." icon_troll.gif

-There used to be a bus stop for the S40, S44 & S52 St George bound across from the stadium. They cut it because you could throw a rock and hit the other bus stops

The 62 still short-turns at Canterbury Ave. That's the street at S.I. College.

Riding RTS' on Gleason lines and RTS' with Alcoas.

Yes, I remember those days. Also remember the Metrocard Gold's first days. And the day the last token was sold. I remember the days of the RTS'ses with the extra triangle "window" in the back. Usually it was painted black when I went on the bus. It was full of graffiti and sratchiti. On a train note, I remember riding the R110, and the first few R142's.

What do you remember about buses from your past? For example, I remember when there was no (MTA) Bus and the PBL's and LIB's took dollar bills

I remember when the B103 ran RTS CNG's.

I remember the Q10A that used the Van Wyck Expressway

I remember the X37 and X38

I remember...

-the RTSs with the Cummins engines (so what if its only been a few months its my memories ;))

-my 1st artic ride on the M23

-when the M14D was around and actually traveled up Avenue D to 14 St (before 9/11)

-when the 8000's started swimming in the Pond (I loved the different sounding engine at the time)

-the B40...funny thing about it was that I used to go to PS 40 on Ralph & Marion St and the bus stopped right in front of the school

-my 1st OG ride (6566 on the B54)

-when the B61 was 1 route

-when the C40s 1st came in...at first, I never knew the red stop request button did

I remember seeing black smoke coming out of Green Lines buses everyday.

I remember the old bullet proof MCI's on the QM21.

I remember the full bus wraps on the Queens Surface RTS's.

I remember when Jamaica Depot RTS's used to drop like flies and have no AC.

I remember standing on packed suburban RTS's with nothing to hold onto but fabric and no way to get off smh.

I remember when Jamaica Depot was all RTS (smh) and Casey Stengel was mainly Orion V's.

I remember when the Q30/31 ran out of Queens Village.

I remember seeing Alcoa? RTS's on the Q85.

I remember the excessive mud flaps on Jamaica Bus Lines's RTS's.

I'll probably think of more by later....

I remember when...

Coliseum depot was open

Walnut depot was open

Hale had the (M1), (M2), (M7), (M60), (Bx32) and (Bx33)

Kingsbridge and Gun Hill over capacity

The X63/64 came from Jamaica

The (Q27) was with Stengel

I remember when people got confused when both (MTA) Bus, (NYCT) introduce LTD(SBS) service first time on B38, Bx36, Bx12/M15 (SBS), Q6, Q10, Q25, Q36, Q58, Q65, Q113.

I also remember when people got confused when they change bus relable Q9A to Q89, Q19A to Q69, Q19B to Q49, Q101R to Q100, QBx1 to Bx23 Co-Op City Loop/Q50 LTD Flushing bus.

I remember...

when people grab on to the back of the RTS,

the Bee-line MAN and Fixible buses

the Bx41 went up White Plains Rd from Nereid to E 241

BXM11 was part of Liberty Lines

New York Bus Service used the fishbowls

I remember when you could make it between Riverhead and Port jeff in only a half hour on the S62! And it was all Orion V's usually 9907, 08, or 10.

I remember when LI Bus used to have diesel buses, like the Orion Vs in the 500s and 600s (I still miss those terribly!)!

I remember when they used to hold connections at LI Bus and have open radio communications (bus to bus like ST).

I remember riding Flxibles on the S71. I remember the 40ft(?) Gillig Phantoms powered by the 6V92s at CBS, I think they were in the 900s. I remember riding them on the S58.

The buses in Suffolk back then were rarely crowded, unlike today.

There was much less traffic back then and you could go faster everywhere on the island back then. Like doing 70mph with 9907 on the S62 on Route 25a in Miller Place!:cool:

Now there's too many Sunday drivers, citiots, and out of sync traffic lights to build up that kind of speed.

So I have to get my speed kicks on (NJT) on the GSP.

I can remember riding electric buses in Brooklyn back in the '50s and '60s. The routes I rode were the B45-St. Johns, B47-Kingston/Tompkins, B48-Franklin/Lorimer, and the B65-Bergen. IIRC there was a dedicated depot for them on Bergen St across from the Albany Houses. If I'm not mistaken the B23 Cortelyou Rd, B57 Flushing, and B62 Graham routes ran the same equipment. Brooklyn Bus nailed it with his answer to the paper transfer color question and his answer about the B35 Church trolley layovers in Brownsville. I'd like to point out that until the early '60s if a bus passenger wanted to get off at the next stop he/she had to pull a cord mounted over the side windows which rang a chime to alert the bus operator. Naturally the school kids/vandals learned to cut the cord somewhere toward the front of the bus and the driver would never know that a passenger wanted to get off. I can remember a driver on the B14 showimg me a newly retrofitted bus that had yellow strips running along the sides of the bus ,where the cords used to be, and telling me that one day ALL buses would like that. I also remember the fareboxes and the sounds it made when the driver activated it. I actually used one while working as a C/R on the (5) line years later. BTW the coin changers the drivers wore were also used by cab drivers and Good Humor and Mr. Softee ice cream truck drivers back in those ancient times. Carry on.

You mean until the early 80's, with the cord? The cords, in NYC, went out with the New Looks, and strips came in with the ADB's. I also don't remember any new looks ever being retrofitted with strips. Not even the extensive Blitz rebuilds, which kept the cords.

Of course, now, they're going fully back into cords!

You mean until the early 80's, with the cord? The cords, in NYC, went out with the New Looks, and strips came in with the ADB's. I also don't remember any new looks ever being retrofitted with strips. Not even the extensive Blitz rebuilds, which kept the cords.

Of course, now, they're going fully back into cords!

IIRC the bus was either #598 or #698, which ran on the B14 Pitkin. It was based out of ENY depot and was a prototype retrofit. Sort of what they did on the (J) line with certain cars before the NTT showed up. Where they installed test PEI units on some cars. The bus I'm talking about ran in service starting about late 1960 to early the next year. Back when Brooklyn Bus and I were classmates and I rode the bus every day.

Was that an old look or a new look, then?

Amazing they had that idea way back then, and it would take another 20 years for it to be adopted.

I'd call it a new look model. Wikipedia shows it as a GM build from 1960 (under retired MTA fleet) which fits the timeframe I remember. The bus I referenced was the only one that had that yellow strip at the time. BTW 20 years apart is par for the course. Did they ask you in schoolcar which subway car was the first with door chimes? I'll let you guess how long that took to become standard on our equipment.

Archived