I remember when... bus edtion

Q43LTD

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know from subway history books (Fischler, etc) that the Green Hornet had them. Don't know if it sounded the same or not, though.

That's what I was getting at. Somebody gets an idea and it's tested. If it works it may be years before it's incorporated into new equipment.

I remember when Queens Village had 7000's RTS. Yukon too

Word, I remember riding those things on the (Q83) to my grandma's house. Only If I was able to ride them on the (Q46) and/or (Q88).:)

Another thing I remember was when the NovaBus RTS'es had those suburban routes. I know they were a pain in the a** to some but on the upside they were a pretty confortable ride:cool:.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when Green Lines still had their RTS 03's 1001-1015 in service in the early 2000's. I wonder what happened to 1001, 1002, 1004, 1008, 1010, 1011, and 1014. All the others besides 1012 were scrapped after MTA Takeover. 1012 along with JB Fishbowl 3001, a Varsity New Look, and some Command RTS 04 buses are in the Varsity storage yard near MTA Bus Spring Creek Depot (ex-Command Bus).

I even remember when the front of Green Lines Bus maps from the late 90's showed the image of the crowded front of the bus with the message "There is always room in the back of the bus. Please exit the rear doors." Then they changed the maps during 2000 to the picture of the Orion V.

• 3 weeks later...
I remember when the Orion V 400-500 series used to be in Staten Island.

I remember when the 400 series Orions were in the Bronx first.

I also remembered when...

the Bx1 terminated at 138 St

the Bx2 terminated at The Hub-150 St

the Bx12 temporarily used the BWAY Bridge instead of the University Hts Br

the Bx16 terminated at Mundy Lane part time

the Bx19's destination sign read BOTAN GDN

the M100 terminated at Isham St

I was excited to get a new Orion V on the Bx41 instead of an RTS

the 200 series Orions didn't have the DD 50 engine in them.

I first saw 1001 and 1002 (D60HF) running on the Bx55 for the first time.

the GMC RTS was around and it had those grungy sounding engines.

When older buses had (NYCT) on the front and back instead of (MTA) and when they used a serif font for the fleet numbers

I remember getting on a Green Lines WMATA Reject Orion V around the time they were new. Then a few years later, they get messed up just like all the other GBL buses but it wasn't as bad as getting on an extremely poor RTS 04 without A/C. I also remember when there was a Q9A and Q10A. On MTA NYCT there was a 70% chance I'd get a GMC RTS on the Q24 or Q56 and the other 30% was a TMC/Novabus RTS. Now it's like a 90% chance on many routes for an OG. There was always an Orion V everytime on the Q44 but since 2008 there are now OG's.

*RTS's @ Gleason(even a suburban RTS that I took on the (B75) once)

*5xxx RTS @ FP(even though I never took them:(. but they looked good on the routes that run along Fulton Dwntwn((B26), (B38), (B52)).

*Orion V CNGs w/ Cummins and NO top exhaust pipe and grey or silver wheels.

*RTS's with grey wheels

and ppl clinging to the back of buses. that isshhh was way scary.

*Bx1's southern terminal was 138/Grand Concourse

*Bx2's southern terminal was 149/The Hub via 165/Melrose

*Bx6's Hunts Point terminal was "circle-shaped"

*Bx12 LTD ran weekdays and Saturdays

*Bx13's eastern terminals were changed back and forth (Yankee Stadium and Melrose)

*Bx16 had two terminals (Mundy Lane and Ropes Av)

*Bx17 traveled near Port Morris via Bruckner Bl

*Bx26 used to terminate at Fordham Ctr, Bedford Pk was a part time terminal

*Bx31 used to terminate at Webster/Nereid Avs

*Bx41 ran from Wakefield to Mott Haven

*Bx42's southern terminal was changed back and forth between Emerson and Balcom

*Bx55 was a 24/7 service, until it was gradually altered

That's all I can remember.

-Orion Vs(diesel) on the B35

-Watching the RTS(diesel and CMG) on layover at Hegeman and Thatford.

-Alcoa rims on a few pre-1993 RTS(8116, 3999, 3160, 8127, and a few 4xxx series RTS)

-When 50xx series RTS came to Fresh Pond.

-When the B8 was at Ulmer Pond

-Some of the 41xx RTS serving their last years at Flatbush Depot

-The old lettering that went from the 1980s.(Especially the one that mentioned the PANYNJ.

-Riding Orion Is on the B110

-Seeing GMC RTS on the Crown Heights Community Coach

-Riding RTS on the Q35 during the summer

-The CNG RTS on the ex-Command lines(I remember #697 having an blue stripe on one of its front doors.

*Bx6's Hunts Point terminal was "circle-shaped"

LMAO! I remember that!

*Bx31 used to terminate at Webster/Nereid Avs

Unless this was before my time IIRC, the Bx31 terminated on Webster Av and 233 St for a number of years before switching to Katonah Av.

Unless this was before my time IIRC, the Bx31 terminated on Webster Av and 233 St for a number of years before switching to Katonah Av.
In the '80's, the Bx31 used to terminate at 233 St/White Plains Rd. I'm not sure when it was extended to Webster Avenue. Here's a snippet of a September 1999 map.

Bx31September1999.png

In the '80's, the Bx31 used to terminate at 233 St/White Plains Rd. I'm not sure when it was extended to Webster Avenue. Here's a snippet of a September 1999 map.

Bx31September1999.png

I am going to have to disagree with you there. They've always had that wrong on the map. Being from that area, the Bx31 always layed over on Webster and 233 Street right in front of the Bronx River Pkwy exit. That was the last and first stop. I have noticed it on the map before but never understood why it showed the terminal way down there at Nereid.

Archived