I Remember When... NYC Subway Edition

Q43LTD

I remember when platforms had vending machines. You could purchase Zagnut bars and Planter's Peanut Bars from them.

I remember when East Tremont Avenue-West Farms Square was East 177th Street-West Farms Square and when Intervale Avenue was Intervale Avenue-163d Street.

I remember when the (2) ran East 241st Street to New Lots Avenue, creating an elevated ride on the ends and a subway ride in the middle. The (3) ran 148th Street-Lenox Terminal to Flatbush Avenue.

I can remember when the Dyre line went to New Lots Avenue BEFORE the red White Plains (2) took it's place. Back then the (2) ran Dyre Ave via 7th Ave to New Lots and the Dyre shuttle sometimes was signed as a 9 (DYRE) on the end sign. The (3) ran 9 car trains to Flatbush Ave back in those days. The end sign read 3 with the Lenox name under it.

I remember riding the R10's, the old stations of the 90's before many of the rehabs were completed and before Arts for Transit had installed artwork in many of them. I remember the old turnstiles before Metrocards, Token Tenpacks, and manned subway station booths. When the Lexington Avenue line wasn't a layup track every weekday during daytime hours, you sat in a rustbird sweating with a busted A/C but you moved, and when the world wasn't dumbed down to compensate for wimps and stupid people. When conductors made all the announcements, the PA systems (especially in stations) were completely inaudible but it didn't seem to matter, when you could walk between cars while the train was moving on the structure to get to the one that had a working AC unit. Before 9/11, when no one took themselves too seriously, before everyone on the train was playing games on their smartphone with an iSomething in their ear, and the world was both fun and still had a sense of humor.

when we had nothing either lol, we had nothing and people didnt complain for anything . oh when the (C) went too bedford park bronx,also i remember when the laid up all the redbird btw 135th st and 96st when they were doing construction on the lenex ave line, the (2) ran on the lex uptown and downtown on the 7th ave line 1998 until 2000

I remember when they flipped the direction after one side was done to do the other.

I remember when the (:o ran on the West End Line

I remember the time when the (B), (D), (Q6Av) ran on the Manhattan Bridge

I remember the (W), (Q), <Q> ran on the Manhattan Bridge.

I remember when the (B), (D), (N), (Q) went back onto the Manhattan Bridge.

I remember when the (Mx) ran on the West End Line.

I remember when the (D) ran on the Brighton Line.

I remember when the (G) stopped at Smith & Ninth Streets.

I remember when the (F), and (N) never stopped at the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station.

I remember when the (G) used to terminate at Forest Hills-71st Avenue.

I remember the existence of the (1)/(9) skip stop service.

:tup: NovaCSW8030 like this. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember getting slapped the **** out of me when I was about 4 or 5 years old by my grandmother because I didn't want to get on a R-14 on the (4) at Union Square. I want to ride the new "shiny" train (R-62). I remember getting on the train sobbing and looking up at the fan on the car and hearing my grandmother say, I'll give you something to cry about *SLAP*

• 1 month later...

I remember thinking the (:)(D) always terminated at 34 St-Herald Sq. and the (W) always had went to C.I. ( i grew up with manhattan br. rehab.)

and riding a (W) from 34 St all the way down to C.I. to go to a cyclones game

I remember riding the Redbirds.

I remember the (D) being on the Brighton Line with the R68s and their old side roll signs. :)

I remember confusing the R42s with the R68s and R68As.

I remember confusing the R44s and R46s.

I remember when Coney Island- Stillwell Avenue was a dump.

I remember the R44s and their loud air-brakes and those awesome Westinghouse 1447F traction motors (when they did not emit that airplane noise). Thank God the R68s and R68As are still around.

I remember being on trains (including the R68) where the lights went out on third rail gaps.

I remember the R32 Phase II's NYAB air brakes.

I remember confusing the R32s and R38s.

I remember riding R68A (B)s on the West End Line.

I remember riding the (D) to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree. :)

I remember the R40 Slants, R40Ms, and R42s rolling on the (Q6Av) and <Q>.

I remember looking out the window of my old apartment and seeing R40s, R68s and R68As on the Brighton Line. :)

I remember when Jay Street smelled like crap.

I remember the (Mx).

I remember the (W).

I remember the R62s on the (4).

I remember riding on the (1) in Brooklyn after 9/11.

I remember the Manhattan Bridge Rehab.

I remember seeing R40 Slants, R40Ms, and R42s on the (L).

I remember seeing the R40 Slants on the (N) & (M).

I remember using tokens.

I remember the (Q6Av).

I remember the (V).

I remember when the (Q6Av) stopped at 21 Street- Queensbridge.

I remember the R38, R40 Slants, and R40Ms.

I remember the (G)'s northern terminal being Forest Hills- 71st Avenue.

I remember the (G)'s southern terminal being Smith-9th Street.

I remember when railfan windows were a regular part of my daily commute.

I remember when there were only one train of R160As and one train of R160Bs and I remember them being tested on the (A). :)

I remember when the fare was $1.50.

I remember Peter Kalikow and Lee Sander.

I remember the MTA logo was the two toned M. (NYCT)

I remember the South Ferry Loop on the (1).

I remember the (N) being a local train BEFORE the Manhattan Bridge Rehab.

I remember when the (B), (D), and (Q6Av) ran on the Manhattan Bridge.

Wow. I just dated myself. :eek:

I remember that one summer when the (3) was re-rerouted to 137th St.

I remember being scared of riding the redbirds because they went too fast and thought it was going to crash.

I remember riding the last redbird running on the (4) in High School.

I remember the (D) running as the Brighton local and went to Coney Island on it.

I remember the R-40 slants and thought of them as the weirdest and coolest subway cars ever.

I remember the (V) and (9) trains existing.

I remember the (:) going to Queensbridge-21st St and warning my sister to not take it.

I remember having an argument on the (A) with a classmate on a trip about whether we were on the east side or not.

I remember the only trains on the Broadway line were the (N) and (R) and only the (:o and (D) used the Manhattan Bridge.

I remember riding the (1) to 242nd Street with my friend for no reason because it was a nice night and we didn't want to go home yet.

Archived