Amtrak Derailment in East River Tunnel expected to impact LIRR service through Wednesday, May 11

Joel Up Front

I have no idea where this should actually go, but anyway, in light of the recent Amtrak derailment, the derailment is mentioned and it mentions that some trains will be canceled at Jamaica where passengers can either wait for another train to Penn or take the (E), but what happens when the subway honors LIRR tickets? Do they show them to station agents and be allowed into the system?

You sure it's about Amtrak? Never knew Amtrak would stop at Jamaica. Seems way out of place, but ah well.

Although Amtrak caused the delay, it has nothing to do with the cross-honoring of tickets itself.

If something happens with Amtrak [and I suppose New Jersey Transit as well] at Penn Station, the L.I.R.R. is naturally affected. So to help out L.I.R.R. customers, The Subway goes and honors their L.I.R.R. tickets at Jamaica.

Although Amtrak caused the delay, it has nothing to do with the cross-honoring of tickets itself.

If something happens with Amtrak [and I suppose New Jersey Transit as well] at Penn Station, the L.I.R.R. is naturally affected. So to help out L.I.R.R. customers, The Subway goes and honors their L.I.R.R. tickets at Jamaica.

At least y'all have a subway. If penn is screwed up NJT also get affected and lately the PATH train itself isn't working properly. (Closures, G.O., Derailments, ect)

You sure it's about Amtrak? Never knew Amtrak would stop at Jamaica. Seems way out of place, but ah well.

An Amtrak train derailed in the East River tunnel. As a result, the next available terminal has to be used: ie Jamaica, where the (E) runs. Any other questions?

(MTA) - Approximately 20 eastbound trains from Penn Station will be canceled and combined with other trains. Westbound LIRR service will terminate at Jamaica, and will terminate at Woodside on the Port Washington Branch starting approximately 4:30 PM. NYC Transit will honoring LIRR tickets on the (E) train to New York at Jamaica and at Woodside on the No. (7) line.

Read more details here

There are several NY bound trains also stopping at Atlantic Terminal... I wonder if commuters know that they can take the (2) or (3) up to Penn Station and the same going back down.

Yea they could, but most use it to reach their jobs in Downtown Manhattan b/c the (4)(5)(:)(D)(N)(Q) also stop there. I'd imagine most just decided to take the (E) at Jamaica and let NYCT cross-honor their tickets. Or they could've just taken (B)(D)(N)(Q) from Atlantic to Herald Square.

On Monday, ridership on the 8:43 to Flatbush Ave (from Jamaica) was not much increased...however today the load was noticeably heavier than usual. I also noticed today that TA employees were staffing the gate (at the turnstiles right next to platform C.)

Did they think of honoring tickets at Flatbush Avenue BEFORE Wednesday? I mean, it's faster than taking the (E) or the (J)/(Z) at Sutphin Boulevard and that massive renovation of the terminal would not have gone to waste, though I think having to go to the first four cars to get off would be annoying for rush hour commuters.

Sad the average LIRR commuter is taking the service for granted and doesn't know that we share Penn with two different rail operators, and those tracks and tunnels as well. No one knows of any alternatives because most LIRR riders don't even know the subway goes through all their terminals unless the (MTA) says so.

Archived