Depot of The Year : 2011 (Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island)

East New York

What are your 2 favorite/Best depots in each of the three boroughs in this poll?  

1. 1. What are your 2 favorite/Best depots in each of the three boroughs in this poll?

• 100th Street, Manhattan
    • 126th Street
    • Manhattanville
    • Michael J. Quill (Manhattan Division Headquarters)
    • Baisley (MTA Bus Training Facility)
    • Casey Stengel
    • College Point (Former MTA Bus Co. Headquarters)
    • Far Rockaway
    • Jamaica
    • JFK
    • LaGuardia (N. Queens Division Headquarters)
    • Queens Village (S. Queens Division Headquarters)
    • Castleton
    • Charleston
    • Meredith (Active Fleet Storage DEpot)
    • Yukon (Staten Island Division Headquarters)

Had to go with 126 & quill with MV coming close, 126 is a manhattan UP. They have alwasy been dumped with the citys wrost and mad them the best. Quill pertty much runs Manhattan below 50th street by itself and rocks it out hats off to both. MV has the heavest lines in the boro in one spot u gotta respect that but there slip on the up kept just a bit.

I Voted Queens Village & Michael J. Quill for the following reasons:

QV: They usually do a good job at maintaining their RTS & I'm pretty confident that they will do the same thing for the newer buses.

MJQ: Same reason with QV when it comes to the RTS good maintance. Plus I had fun riding their (M66) & (M72). Otherwise I got nothing else.

This one was easy.

Manhattan

-Michael J. Quill. Perhaps #1 on my list overall......

-#2 Came down to 100, and 126. I love them both, I think 126 has better maintenance, but I love the way 100St is built. When I come to every aspect, I have to go with 100. I've been on the Lex line a million times, and I can't wait till they finally rename the depot.

Queens

-This one I really had to think about. Queens Village is the most improved in my opinion. Their 6400 series Orions were on life support a few years back. But now, they have stepped it up, and they will be testing Novas, New Flyers, and Orions in short order. So maybe they will get my vote next year. Casey Stegel and Jamaica are both really good in the maintenance department from what I gather, but I don't know that much about their ops.

#1 LaGuardia. If this was based on maintenance, they obviously would not be at the top of my list. The depot has a rich history from the famous Triboro Coach Corp. It was my favorite PBL, and well as the only non-MTA operation that interested me. When the TA took over, it was the first MTAB depot I visited as well. Although maintenance still needs to improve, they have gotten a little better. Their RTS' ARE NOT falling apart. The LGA lines take a beating like many buses do in Queens. They also have one of the oldest bus fleets in the system.

#2 Had to go to College Point hands down. So no TA depots win out of this borough for me. Their express buses are maintained quite well. As far as the local fleet goes, they are doing a damn good job with what they have to work with. In addition to the QSC originals, those 11-13 year old Orion V's have come from all over the city. Command, Triboro, & Green Lines. The latter are contributing to the maintenance issues at an depot where personnel is already stretched pretty thin. Once they get New Flyers, I don't think we will still have these problems. If this entire fleet of CNG's were at LGA, I don't thing they would be doing as well at all.

Staten Island

-Castleton gets #1 because their maintenance has improved a lot since 2005, yet they could be a lot better. I also like the fact that they will have Orion V's, VII NG's, VII 3G's, LFS' and XD40s. This will make operations at the depot very interesting for the remainder of the year.

Charleston has not been around long enough for me to form an opinion. However, when they get artics, I will likely change my tune.

#2 for me is Yukon. Under normal circumstances, YUK would have been #1 on my list. I think they have better maintenance, and they used to maintain their RTS' quite well. *sigh* Those were the days! The only thing I don't like about the depot is the location. It's in the middle of nowhere, and it takes forever to get to it if you aren't driving. But since the test fleets will go to Castleton now, it comes in at a close #2.

Those 2800's are NOT new. Those things are between 9 & 11 years old now. Besides that, those SI buses get used more than most.

MTA has an agreement in place from the last contract when the 2200's came in. The new buses will all be delivered by years end.

I know they're NOT new. I said "newer". I was comparing them to Castleton's current MCI fleet, which is generally older. As for the new MCIs, any idea who will be getting them?? :cool:

i voted for Queens depots,#1 Baisley because i was around the depot and been using the Old Jamaica bus inc RTS since 1998 and real reliable service and great maintainance.

#2 College Point for the Diverse routes and history and because there the better CNG mtab depot.

I know they're NOT new. I said "newer". I was comparing them to Castleton's current MCI fleet, which is generally older. As for the new MCIs, any idea who will be getting them?? :cool:

Most likely Yukon.

CS is a good depot, compared to the other depots around me (CP, FP, LGA). LGA & FP beat up their buses. CP is pretty good at maintaining their express buses, but so-so on maintaining their CNGs (last few times I was on them I found alot of trash on them).

the only thing LGA is good at is the variety of fleets: Ex-bee line Orion V's, NG Hybrids, OG Hybrids, RTS, fishbowls, etc. (LGA does have a fishbowl; 7241 IIRC. Last time I saw it was a few years ago, it was in service on the QM10).

LGA is bad at maintaining. 80-85 % of the time there is trash on those buses. Also LGA has alot of RTS, which are starting to fall apart.

The only reason I voted for LGA was because its my home depot: I use it every weekday. I forgot to vote for CP tho :cry:

Lol CNGs are at CS? Nah. They are only there from CP for emergencys. They take care of their Orion's. Trust me, one time I was on this bus that got dirty, we all went off at the last stop and the driver turned on Union then on Rosevelt (I was going to take the 7) and I saw him going all the way past Main St and past CP Av.

Stengel gets my vote for being my home depot and the fact that they've managed to keep those 6000s rockin' despite the fact that those buses were rushed

Queens Village is my next favorite depot just 'cause they keep their buses looking good, and their drivers are on point, plus I ride the Q27 to school, need I say more? Oh, the depot is also pretty nice from what I hear.

Yeah, they do better than Castleton when they owned it. Some of those Orions had the water leaks and I THINK Casey Stengel fixed it. Oh, and they've been repainting those Orions. Even know I voted for Castleton, I think they have problems with their buses. OH WELL!

CS is a good depot, compared to the other depots around me (CP, FP, LGA). LGA & FP beat up their buses. CP is pretty good at maintaining their express buses, but so-so on maintaining their CNGs (last few times I was on them I found alot of trash on them).

the only thing LGA is good at is the variety of fleets: Ex-bee line Orion V's, NG Hybrids, OG Hybrids, RTS, fishbowls, etc. (LGA does have a fishbowl; 7241 IIRC. Last time I saw it was a few years ago, it was in service on the QM10).

LGA is bad at maintaining. 80-85 % of the time there is trash on those buses. Also LGA has alot of RTS, which are starting to fall apart.

The only reason I voted for LGA was because its my home depot: I use it every weekday. I forgot to vote for CP tho :cry:

I forgot to vote for MJQ!:cry:

they do the same things in BK. i remember when they swapped some buses from ulmer park to castleton. there was a story that ran in one of those small town news papers about how much better the SI buses have gotten with a pic of a recently swapped buses right next to the article

Castleton never had a nova RTS, it was the 95xx/96xx fleet at Yukon that was replaced by the 93xx/94xxs from ulmer park

Most likely Yukon.

Oh boy... Granted Yukon could use some, but Charleston should get some as well. Some of the 4300s and 2200s could go to Meredith, although Meredith's fleet going forward should be in good shape since they only need MCIs for the AM and PM rush. :cool: My issue w/Yukon is that they don't take care of their MCIs. :mad: Those 43XXs and 22XXs that they have look like shit in comparison to the 22XXs that Spring Creek has.

Castleton never had a nova RTS, it was the 95xx/96xx fleet at Yukon that was replaced by the 93xx/94xxs from ulmer park

He's most likely talking about the MCI's as they were swapped between depots.

I forgot to vote for MJQ!:cry:

If anyone forgets to vote for a specific depot, or wants to add in a vote, send me a PM, and I will add for you.

Oh boy... Granted Yukon could use some, but Charleston should get some as well. Some of the 4300s and 2200s could go to Meredith, although Meredith's fleet going forward should be in good shape since they only need MCIs for the AM and PM rush. :cool: My issue w/Yukon is that they don't take care of their MCIs. :mad: Those 43XXs and 22XXs that they have look like shit in comparison to the 22XXs that Spring Creek has.

They are going to start replacing the oldest models in the fleet. I'm not sure of will they will be going yet.

He's most likely talking about the MCI's as they were swapped between depots.

If anyone forgets to vote for a specific depot, or wants to add in a vote, send me a PM, and I will add for you.

They are going to start replacing the oldest models in the fleet. I'm not sure of will they will be going yet.

Hmmm... That means a lot of the 19XXs and 20XXs will be going bye bye. :cool: Those buses are really hit or miss in terms of comfort and such. You're either baking or nice and cool and the reclining levels on them are just insane. You can go in bed on the older MCIs because you can recline so far back. What irks me though is when people go to the back of the bus and lay down across the seats back there like it's a cot or something. :mad:

Hmmm... That means a lot of the 19XXs and 20XXs will be going bye bye. :cool: Those buses are really hit or miss in terms of comfort and such. You're either baking or nice and cool and the reclining levels on them are just insane. You can go in bed on the older MCIs because you can recline so far back. What irks me though is when people go to the back of the bus and lay down across the seats back there like it's a cot or something. :mad:

I'm not gonna lie, I did that one weekend on the X1...had the entire back row to myself!

I'm not gonna lie, I did that one weekend on the X1...had the entire back row to myself!

There's a black lady that used to get on the X14 from time to time in the evening and would come all the way to the back and lay down. I used to like to sit in the last seat before that. Between that and her incessant yacking on the damn cell phone, I used to get pissed off seeing her with her shoes and shit and all over the seats. IMO, shoes belong on the floor not on the seat. :mad: With the recession though, there's fewer annoying folks riding the express bus and more civilized classier folks and I haven't saw her in ages. :cool:

There's a black lady that used to get on the X14 from time to time in the evening and would come all the way to the back and lay down. I used to like to sit in the last seat before that. Between that and her incessant yacking on the damn cell phone, I used to get pissed me off seeing her with her shoes and shit and all over the seats. IMO, shoes belong on the floor not on the seat. :mad: With the recession though, there's fewer annoying folks riding the express bus and more civilized classier folks and I haven't saw her in ages. :cool:

All those extra detail are not even relevant, unless you are trying to make them out to be.:tdown:

Let's make sure we all know that she's black!

All those extra detail are not even relevant, unless you are trying to make them out to be.:tdown:

Let's make sure we all know that she's black!

lol... Yes, well I knew you would have a problem with that, though I see nothing wrong with it at all. I was just describing an event, nothing more nothing less.

lol... Yes, well I knew you would have a problem with that, though I see nothing wrong with it at all. I was just describing an event, nothing more nothing less.

You knew I would have a problem with it huh? Interesting.

So if the lady had happened to be white, would your post have read,

"There's a white lady that used to get on the X14 from time to time...."

If you honestly want me to sit here in front of this computer screen and believe that you did not put emphasis on her race, then you are blatantly insulting my intelligence.

You knew I would have a problem with it huh? Interesting.

So if the lady had happened to be white, would your post have read,

"There's a white lady that used to get on the X14 from time to time...."

If you honestly want me to sit here in front of this computer screen and believe that you did not put emphasis on her race, then you are blatantly insulting my intelligence.

Yeah, I knew you would because I think you're a bit oversensitive. To be honest with you, I've seen whites do it and hispanics do it and my reaction is always the same. Utter disgust. I pointed her out because she was the only one that I saw do it regularly since the others were just weekend folks that probably don't ride normally, so yeah if she were white I would've said it because quite frankly I see no harm in saying that she is black, as that's what she is. There have also been times when I've posted about folks that were black and acting in a manner that I thought was rather not classy and I didn't make any mention of their race because it came out that way in my mind. In this case I just said what was on my mind at the moment. After having wrote "black lady" I was going to omit it because I knew you would say something esp. after that whole "the blacks" thing, but then I thought to myself, why should I omit something that I thought and had no malintent when I thought it?

Oversensitive now? Ok, believe whatever it is you so choose. If you have to use that to justify what you posted then that's fine. I'll accept that. We will just end this now as it has NOTHING to do with the topic. No further comment needed.

Yeah, I knew you would because I think you're a bit oversensitive. To be honest with you, I've seen whites do it and hispanics do it and my reaction is always the same. Utter disgust. I pointed her out because she was the only one that I saw do it regularly since the others were just weekend folks that probably don't ride normally, so yeah if she were white I would've said it because quite frankly I see no harm in saying that she is black, as that's what she is. There have also been times when I've posted about folks that were black and acting in a manner that I thought was rather not classy and I didn't make any mention of their race because it came out that way in my mind. In this case I just said what was on my mind at the moment. After having wrote "black lady" I was going to omit it because I knew you would say something esp. after that whole "the blacks" thing, but then I thought to myself, why should I omit something that I thought and had no malintent when I thought it?

- I agree w/ ENY that stating her ethnicity was irrelevant... I would've just said "some lady" or "this lady" & been done w/ it...

- I agree w/ you in that, I don't see the "harm" in what was said....

what does bug me, is your long winded justifications in defense of it all....

If you know you're elaborating on something that had no malice behind it, why bother explaining yourself in this magnitude

Not sure if you see it, or claim to not care or whatever, but it doesn't make you appear (as) forthright....

- I agree w/ ENY that stating her ethnicity was irrelevant... I would've just said "some lady" or "this lady" & been done w/ it...

- I agree w/ you in that, I don't see the "harm" in what was said....

what does bug me, is your long winded justifications in defense of it all....

If you know you're elaborating on something that had no malice behind it, why bother explaining yourself in this magnitude

Not sure if you see it, or claim to not care or whatever, but it doesn't make you appear (as) forthright....

I only elaborated this time because he's gotten on my case before so I felt it was necessary to clear the air, but as he said, let's move on. Dragging this on will only make matters worse.

@B35 Why man? Why?

I only elaborated this time because he's gotten on my case before so I felt it was necessary to clear the air, but as he said, let's move on. Dragging this on will only make matters worse.

I never said there was anything wrong with what you said at all though.

Whenever I hear people say things like "the whites" or "the blacks" or "this Mexican guy" or "that Arab girl" when not giving a visual description of someone, it annoys me. This is because 95% of the time when people use those types of words, they are putting emphasis on the fact that the person is "different," or not the same as them when telling a story. The other 5% have no excuses other than lack of education, or a lack of "real" diversity in their lives.

Not only that, but I didn't get on your case then. I made a statement. This time however, yes, I made it a point to say something. If it truly is me being oversensitive, then that's me I guess............... along with a half dozen or so people read that post and had some very interesting comments to me about it. Maybe I just over-analyze things sometime....:confused:

@B35 Why man? Why?

I never said there was anything wrong with what you said at all though.

Whenever I hear people say things like "the whites" or "the blacks" or "this Mexican guy" or "that Arab girl" when not giving a visual description of someone, it annoys me. This is because 95% of the time when people use those types of words, they are putting emphasis on the fact that the person is "different," or not the same as them when telling a story. The other 5% have no excuses other than lack of education, or a lack of "real" diversity in their lives.

Not only that, but I didn't get on your case then. I made a statement. This time however, yes, I made it a point to say something. If it truly is me being oversensitive, then that's me I guess............... along with a half dozen or so people read that post and had some very interesting comments to me about it. Maybe I just over-analyze things sometime....:confused:

lol... Well you gave me the impression that you had a problem with what I said, otherwise I couldn't understand why you would point it out. In any event, nationality and race is something that is always emphasized in some cultures. I think some of it has to do with the proximity of cultures in places like Latin America or Europe for example, where in Spanish or Italian especially, I'm used to hearing the distinction made with no malice meant at all and this is probably why I tend to do it when giving descriptions of folks in English. Aside from that, let's face it. We live in the U.S. where folks feel the need to classify folks. I'm not saying that it is right because we do share similarities as people, but at the same time I don't see any harm in pointing out differences.

Glossing over the differences just creates a false sense of being. Sorry for replying, but I'll try to stay on topic now. :( lol

Archived