Question about the City Hall Loop

j express

Ask the T/O in the front car, and if he's nice he would allow you to ride the train around the loop. That is if you have permission, and you can do it anytime as long as you have permission.

You dont need permission as the announcement on the train says the next stop is the Uptown side.

Id ride the last car to be safe.. But if you wish to ask go ahead.

Heres a clip i took:

Ask the T/O in the front car, and if he's nice he would allow you to ride the train around the loop. That is if you have permission, and you can do it anytime as long as you have permission.

You do not need permission. The loop is classified as revenue track hence why they don't check (6) trains and tell passengers to leave. Its been publicized that you can stay on to see the loop.

You do not need permission. The loop is classified as revenue track hence why they don't check (6) trains and tell passengers to leave. Its been publicized that you can stay on to see the loop.

Actually there are some C/Rs who announce that the train is going out of service, I pretty much ignore because they automatically open on the other side. Tho i don't ride the loop much, got better things to do then that, unless im at Bleeker Street tryin to head Northbound from the Downtown side lol.

Anytime buddy. I've done it a few times. It's legal.

Who does that? It's not like the crew is going to search the cars in the first place.

Actually there are some C/Rs who announce that the train is going out of service, I pretty much ignore because they automatically open on the other side. Tho i don't ride the loop much, got better things to do then that, unless im at Bleeker Street tryin to head Northbound from the Downtown side lol.

I mainly do it to get a seat during rush hour lol. I still haven't tested the SF loop. A T/O on here said its ok to ride that too

I mainly do it to get a seat during rush hour lol. I still haven't tested the SF loop. A T/O on here said its ok to ride that too

I wouldnt risk going via SF loop. Since the (5)s now head to Flatbush during the midday, only certain (5)s will end at the loop and stay put.. Even during Bowling Green only hours or day they can stay there long or begin there dead head to Unionport.

I did went to SF loop last year when the (6) were rerouted to BG. Its OK to ride via Loop of SF because its in revenue service for the (6) just like City Hall Loop, unlike the (5).

Nothing much changed at SF Old lol.

If you want to ride via SF, then do it when the (6) is rerouted to BG or when a swape of the (2) via Lex or (5) via 7th Avenue comes in. (Which Idk if that will ever occur especially with the new SF station opened with (2)s ending there instead).

yes, you may ride the City hall loop at any time but NOT the Bowling Green loop.

on almost every subway trip I go around the loop because I usually take the downtown (D) or (F) to Bleecker, and want the uptown (6). So I just take the loop.

Also on subway trips when heading home I ride the loop in the front car so when I exit on the uptown side of BB, I have direct access to the (J).

After AM NY or Metro, correct me reported about City Hall Station, I have seen people staying on any cars through the loop.

Few days ago, I enter homeless sleeping thru on first car on City Hall loop.

mind linking to that article?

The Bowling Green loop is also in revenue service when the (5) is there (unlike what most people said here). The time to go down there to see the old SF station is at night after 9 PM but before 11 PM. Ride in the last car for an optimal view, but note that the entire train makes it out the piece of loop track in the station before it stops unless there is a train in the loop in front of it. Because the headway is larger and there is nowhere to sit the train ((4)s coming out of Brooklyn would be blocked if it just sat on the northbound track in the station), one would actually be down there for quite a while unlike the CH loop (BG loop holds two full length trains), but eventually the train does go back uptown in service.

There are no trains that go light uptown from there unless you happened to catch a baseball special (4), and they just go back to Mosholu Yard. The crew is also responsible for cleaning out those trains, and the C/R usually takes a walk to the back while going around the loop.

Dude stop putting up a front. Hardly any people get on the (6) at Brooklyn Bridge during rush hour. If you like riding the loop then so be it. There's nothing wrong with that. :cool:

The City Hall Loop can hold two whole trains.

There have been plenty of times when there was a #6 train at the uptown platform at Brooklyn Bridge doors open awaiting its departure time, another train immediately behind it on the ramp up from City Hall, a downtown #6 train that has just left for City Hall, and an arriving #6 downtown train from Canal Street. That's 4 number 6 trains just at the Brooklyn Bridge stations - where all of these trains will be heading uptown soon enough.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Mike

The City Hall Loop can hold two whole trains.

There have been plenty of times when there was a #6 train at the uptown platform at Brooklyn Bridge doors open awaiting its departure time, another train immediately behind it on the ramp up from City Hall, a downtown #6 train that has just left for City Hall, and an arriving #6 downtown train from Canal Street. That's 4 number 6 trains just at the Brooklyn Bridge stations - where all of these trains will be heading uptown soon enough.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Mike

That was when trains were allowed to key up behind its leader

I wanted to ride a 6 train around the City Hall Loop so when is the best time to do it ?

Anytime is fine...you don't need permission to ride through the loop. Just stay on the train and sit tight if you get held at a red signal going around the loop.

You are allowed to ride through.

If the crew asks all passengers to leave though, respect their wishes. Better to just wait for the next train than risk a confrontation regardless of whether or not you are "right"

SF loop is non revenue track and some (5) trains can sit there for extended periods of time (up to an hr). Not recommended.

Even if the (5) is fine to ride via BG loop as Twotimer says, i wouldn't risk it due to the (5) stalling at the inner loop. Sometimes (5)s dead head to Unionport after looping, Ive seen it.

SF loop is non revenue track and some (5) trains can sit there for extended periods of time (up to an hr). Not recommended.

Not unless if it is a (6) train G/o to the Ferry Loop, then it is doing the same looping as it does when via CH loop which is then ok to ride via BG loop, but towards the back.

Do you know if the (5) ever relays on the outer IRT 7th Ave tracks?

Not unless if it is a (6) train G/o to the Ferry Loop, then it is doing the same looping as it does when via CH loop which is then ok to ride via BG loop, but towards the back.

False, a few (5) relays sit in the SF loop for an extended period of time. This is why they don't want people being in the trains during that time.

It has nothing to do with any g/o's that cause there to be long (6) relays. If anything, a 6 to the Green g/o would cause all trains using the SF loop to turn quickly to keep things moving.

They don't use SF outer for regular 5 relays unless there is a split 2/5 g/o and the train is entering the loop from, say Lexington, and departing up 7th ave (or vice versa). No reason to do it. Can be used for train storage though in an emergency of some kind, but no reason to use it regularly...

False, a few (5) relays sit in the SF loop for an extended period of time. This is why they don't want people being in the trains during that time.

It has nothing to do with any g/o's that cause there to be long (6) relays. If anything, a 6 to the Green g/o would cause all trains using the SF loop to turn quickly to keep things moving.

They don't use SF outer for regular 5 relays unless there is a split 2/5 g/o and the train is entering the loop from, say Lexington, and departing up 7th ave (or vice versa). No reason to do it. Can be used for train storage though in an emergency of some kind, but no reason to use it regularly...

I already know about the (5). But why would the (6) sit longer in the SF loop? If (5)s were suspended for example.

It can be dangerous for the transit personnel for riders to be "stuck on the train" on the #5 South Ferry Loop as it waits to return to service trip.

It can be very dangerous for female transit personnel to be "stuck on a train" that is waiting containing riders on a relay track for its return to service trip. On many of the relay tracks the train operators, and often the conductors have to "walk the train" or from car to car - before the train is returned to service. Finding riders who are not supposed to be there, and where the riders are "upset" (or worse) can be a very dangerous situation.

Riders can become very un-predictable when told that the will not be returning to service for "a while".

Yes, some transit fans might really want to go places in the subways that are off-limits, but sometimes there are safety concerns that might not appear to be so evident.

Mike

Archived