Overnight NYCT/MTA Bus service

Shortline Bus

Riverdale has too much express bus service. Period.

I totally agree. Do the BxM1 and 2 really have to run 7 days a week? For the east side, take the (Bx10) to the (4) train. For the west side, take the (Bx7) to the (A) or (1) train. It's like giving Country Club express bus service

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally agree. Do the BxM1 and 2 really have to run 7 days a week? For the east side, take the (Bx10) to the (4) train. For the west side, take the (Bx7) to the (A) or (1) train. It's like giving Country Club express bus service

I have long suggested that the BXM2 does not need to run on Sundays. Other than those local bus/subway option, those riders could also use the BXM1 along Lex/3rd and transfer to a crosstown bus in Manhattan.

I have long suggested that the BXM2 does not need to run on Sundays. Other than those local bus/subway option, those riders could also use the BXM1 along Lex/3rd and transfer to a crosstown bus in Manhattan.

BxM1 should run hourly, BxM2 should lose weekend service. A combined headway currently of 15 minutes is a bit too much, don't you think?

BxM1 should run hourly, BxM2 should lose weekend service. A combined headway currently of 15 minutes is a bit too much, don't you think?

Agreed. Riverdale actually has '3' express lines if you count the BXM3. BXM1/2 should both run every hour(30 minute combined headways)off peak and Saturdays. Last Fall I railfanned on the BXM2 on a Sat Night back to Riverdale around 8pm. Surprise it was 1/2 full with about 25-30 riders.

Still with tons of seniors/eldery riders up there, at least '1' express 7 days a week is needed on Riverdale Ave. It should be the BXM1.

My question is how well is the (M102) used overnight?

It's gets a decent amount or riders, but no where near capacity. I've caught the bus many times at night. I personally think it could be eliminated, or reduced to 40 foot buses overnight. The (M103) and (M7) would be great alternatives.

It's gets a decent amount or riders, but no where near capacity. I've caught the bus many times at night. I personally think it could be eliminated, or reduced to 40 foot buses overnight. The (M103) and (M7) would be great alternatives.

I would go with the later and use 40 footers. I rarely favor eliminating service when service can be so erractic with the (MTA) as it is. NJT for example runs barebones service, but their service overall is relatively reliable, so while it is a pain in terms of the headways, the service is generally reliable and on time.

You also can't get to most of where the Bx3 serves from the (4) past Kingsbridge without walking around the Reservoir. A lot of people do ride the Bx3 from the GWB where it starts, up towards Ft Independence St, a one seat ride beats the train and getting on the BX3 anyway. IMO, the main reason for why the service got cut is because after about 130-2am, most of the areas it runs through are dead. No one uses 238 St late nights. It should at least run S/B until 1:45 like the northbound however.

I don't feel like the Q30 service should have been cut because it leaves a huge stretch of East Queens without bus service. Bad enough the Q31 barely runs and comes at the same time as the 30. Its a long walk to the 12 or 46

How hilly is the Kingsbridge area? The two streets are only about 1/4 mile away (though Fort Independence Avenue and Broadway are separated by the Major Deegan Expressway).

The problem is that it got something like 36 riders per night, which was below the 45 riders required to keep overnight service.

At least it is somewhat near the Q12, Q27, and Q46 (at the furthest point, it is about 1 mile away)

thats what Q21 is for

He's talking about overnight service.

Not to mention the fact that they have the Metro-North (though I think the service only runs every 60 minutes on weekdays)

I would go with the later and use 40 footers. I rarely favor eliminating service when service can be so erractic with the (MTA) as it is. NJT for example runs barebones service, but their service overall is relatively reliable, so while it is a pain in terms of the headways, the service is generally reliable and on time.

You have to consider that this is overnight service, so the buses don't get caught in any traffic.

4 if you count the BxM18.

I never said service should be eliminated on weekends, the BXM1 would stay there, hourly off-peak, 7 days a week, while the BxM2 would run rush hours and Saturday morning+evenings only. The BxM18 really would've been cut, had it not been for the express bus transfers in Manhattan.

They're talking about weekend service, though.

LOL... Shortline just won't let that BXM1 and BXM2 thing go. I know, an affluent suburban area with good express bus service is just a no no.

If the buses were well-used, there wouldn't be a problem, but the BxM2 does have low ridership on the weekends.

The only way that'll happen is if 100 St gets 40'ers or it's transfered to another depot at nights. (Hale or 126 St)

Agreed. Riverdale actually has '3' express lines if you count the BXM3. BXM1/2 should both run every hour(30 minute combined headways)off peak and Saturdays. Last Fall I railfanned on the BXM2 on a Sat Night back to Riverdale around 8pm. Surprise it was 1/2 full with about 25-30 riders.

Still with tons of seniors/eldery riders up there, at least '1' express 7 days a week is needed on Riverdale Ave. It should be the BXM1.

I never said service should be eliminated on weekends, the BXM1 would stay there, hourly off-peak, 7 days a week, while the BxM2 would run rush hours and Saturday morning+evenings only. The BxM18 really would've been cut, had it not been for the express bus transfers in Manhattan.

LOL... Shortline just won't let that BXM1 and BXM2 thing go. I know, an affluent suburban area with good express bus service is just a no no.

The BXM18 should stay right where it is. I see no reason why Bronx residents shouldn't have access to Downtown via the express bus, when they're paying a premium fare. How can you justify paying a premium fare to use the subway which is half the price???

At least it is somewhat near the Q12, Q27, and Q46 (at the furthest point, it is about 1 mile away)

The (Q12) is on Northern Blvd, the (Q27) stops short at Springfield and Horace Harding, leaving Springfield Blvd with no bus service until Hillside Av and the (Q46) is at Union Tpke. Those are all very far distances

The BXM18 should stay right where it is. I see no reason why Bronx residents shouldn't have access to Downtown via the express bus, when they're paying a premium fare. How can you justify paying a premium fare to use the subway which is half the price???

And that "premium fare" doesn't come close to covering the cost of the service.

Like I said, express buses can be likened to paying more for a product at a store: Sometimes the more expensive product gives you more value for your money (as is the case with routes like the X1, X10, X17, etc), but other times the product is more expensive because it costs more to produce.

The (Q12) is on Northern Blvd, the (Q27) stops short at Springfield and Horace Harding, leaving Springfield Blvd with no bus service until Hillside Av and the (Q46) is at Union Tpke. Those are all very far distances

But between say, Utopia Parkway and Springfield Blvd, riders do have the option of using the Q27.

And that "premium fare" doesn't come close to covering the cost of the service.

Like I said, express buses can be likened to paying more for a product at a store: Sometimes the more expensive product gives you more value for your money (as is the case with routes like the X1, X10, X17, etc), but other times the product is more expensive because it costs more to produce.

Yeah well whose fault is that? Express bus riders should not be punished because they have a lack of options to serve them, nor should they be expected to pay the premium fare for a service that is more than half of the premium fare. So yeah, let's punish them because they don't have rail links or subways like other areas do, so let's shake them down for more money because they can afford it. Like I said highway robbery. :tdown:

Yeah well whose fault is that? Express bus riders should not be punished because they have a lack of options to serve them, nor should they be expected to pay the premium fare for a service that is more than half of the premium fare. So yeah, let's punish them because they don't have rail links or subways like other areas do, so let's shake them down for more money because they can afford it. Like I said highway robbery. :tdown:

What are you talking about "Who's fault is that?" If good transportation meant that much to those people, they would move to an area with better transportation.

I guarantee you that, if half of those areas received a subway, the NIMBYs would go nuts.

Like I said, I wouldn't have an issue if those services were well-used. If an express bus serves an area that is somewhat suburban (remember that 90% of NYC is urban by any standards, but is suburban compared to places in Manhattan) and gets decent ridership, I have no problem: See routes like the X1, X10, BxM7, etc.

What are you talking about "Who's fault is that?" If good transportation meant that much to those people, they would move to an area with better transportation.

I guarantee you that, if half of those areas received a subway, the NIMBYs would go nuts.

Like I said, I wouldn't have an issue if those services were well-used. If an express bus serves an area that is somewhat suburban (remember that 90% of NYC is urban by any standards, but is suburban compared to places in Manhattan) and gets decent ridership, I have no problem: See routes like the X1, X10, BxM7, etc.

Just what I said. People in these communities I'm sure pay a lot in taxes, but they're not supposed to get certain services because they "cost too much" but it's okay if they pay more in taxes than other communities right, because they're doing it for the good of society. That's the biggest double standard. Why don't you just come out and say that suburban folks don't matter, because that is basically what you say over in over with your let them move to "urban areas" as if it is just so easy for folks to pack up and move, not to mention that not everyone can live in urban areas.

And this attitude that suburban areas can pay when it suits other communities, but they shouldn't expect their fair share of services in return is ridiculous and that is basically your argument. Yeah, they can subsidize transportation for everyone else who uses the bus and subway, but NO they can't have express bus service, even if they're subsidizing the system more than other communities are.

The urban areas can use the suburban areas to obtain services, but not the other way around right?? LOL

urr those ppl use BXM1 and 2 for a reason THEY DONT WANT TO PUT UP WITH LOCAL BUSES OR THE SUBWAY FOR A REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY THE 1 TRAIN!!!!!! take into account travel time. The only way affluent ppl use transit is if its fast and direct that is what the BXM1 and 2 are for a driver told be bxm1 and 11 and 7 have high ridership

Just what I said. People in these communities I'm sure pay a lot in taxes, but they're not supposed to get certain services because they "cost too much" but it's okay if they pay more in taxes than other communities right, because they're doing it for the good of society. That's the biggest double standard. Why don't you just come out and say that suburban folks don't matter, because that is basically what you say over in over with your let them move to "urban areas" as if it is just so easy for folks to pack up and move, not to mention that not everyone can live in urban areas.

And this attitude that suburban areas can pay when it suits other communities, but they shouldn't expect their fair share of services in return is ridiculous and that is basically your argument. Yeah, they can subsidize transportation for everyone else who uses the bus and subway, but NO they can't have express bus service, even if they're subsidizing the system more than other communities are.

The urban areas can use the suburban areas to obtain services, but not the other way around right?? LOL

Isn't the point of taxes for "the good of society"? If a person pays a lot of taxes, and they received that money back in services, you might as well tell the person that they don't have to pay any taxes, and they can just use the money to drive themselves to work. It would be cheaper for everybody.

And suburban services are already more expensive to operate than urban services, so they're already getting value for their taxes. Compare the cost of Manhattan's urban bus routes to Staten Island's suburban bus routes (and a lot of the people paying the bulk of the taxes to subsidize the SI services aren't even using them)

Isn't the point of taxes for "the good of society"? If a person pays a lot of taxes, and they received that money back in services, you might as well tell the person that they don't have to pay any taxes, and they can just use the money to drive themselves to work. It would be cheaper for everybody.

And suburban services are already more expensive to operate than urban services, so they're already getting value for their taxes. Compare the cost of Manhattan's urban bus routes to Staten Island's suburban bus routes (and a lot of the people paying the bulk of the taxes to subsidize the SI services aren't even using them)

Yeah well, that's a moot issue because if the (MTA) took the monies that they collected from the Verrazano, that would offset a good chunk of the so called monies paid by others to "subsidize" our transportation. Aside from that, no one ever said that those paying more in taxes should get all of the services. The point was that they should get some services for their tax dollars.

Yeah well, that's a moot issue because if the (MTA) took the monies that they collected from the Verrazano, that would offset a good chunk of the so called monies paid by others to "subsidize" our transportation. Aside from that, no one ever said that those paying more in taxes should get all of the services. The point was that they should get some services for their tax dollars.

Paid for by drivers who generally earn higher incomes than local bus riders on SI.

Paid for by drivers who generally earn higher incomes than local bus riders on SI.

That's correct, but the point is that we don't need so much help to have our transportation subsidized. We have plenty of affluent areas like Todt Hill, Emerson Hill, Stapleton Heights, Randall Manor, West Brighton and so on. :P

Back to topic. 1 area of the city that I never could understand why they don't have all night service is the Q50/BX23 combo between Coop City and the Pelham Bay (6) station.

Is Co-op city that transit deprived??? I mean they've got the BXM7 and some local bus service for starters. How much more service do they need?? :confused:

Archived