Overnight NYCT/MTA Bus service

Shortline Bus

Is Co-op city that transit deprived??? I mean they've got the BXM7 and some local bus service for starters. How much more service do they need?? :confused:

The BXM7 does not run 24/7. Issue is that it's a huge complex along lines of Starret City and Stuvenvant Town in the East Village.

Only the BX28 runs all nights in that area currently. It connects to the (2) at Gun Hill Rd.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to topic. 1 area of the city that I never could understand why they don't have all night service is the Q50/BX23 combo between Coop City and the Pelham Bay (6) station.

I guess the (MTA) figures the Bx28 can pick up the slack. If you make the Bx23 run all night, you might as well kill owl service on the (Bx28). The (Bx12) only goes as far as section 4. (Bartow/Edson)

I guess the (MTA) figures the Bx28 can pick up the slack. If you make the Bx23 run all night, you might as well kill owl service on the (Bx28). The (Bx12) only goes as far as section 4. (Bartow/Edson)

You can still run '1' bus on the BX23 or Q50, it's about I guess 30 minutes to serve all of Coop and back to Pelham Bay Station.

If 'no' to 24/7 BX23/Q50, then the BXM7 should become a 24/7 line. Majority of COOP want 24/7 access to the East Side and Midtown.

You can still run '1' bus on the BX23 or Q50, it's about I guess 30 minutes to serve all of Coop and back to Pelham Bay Station.

If 'no' to 24/7 BX23/Q50, then the BXM7 should become a 24/7 line. Majority of COOP want 24/7 access to the East Side and Midtown.

Right now, it's the (Bx28) to the (2) to the (4). I would give overnight service to the Bx23

Is Co-op city that transit deprived??? I mean they've got the BXM7 and some local bus service for starters. How much more service do they need?? :confused:

At night, the only route in the area is the Bx28 (remember: This thread is about overnight service)

The BXM7 does not run 24/7. Issue is that it's a huge complex along lines of Starret City and Stuvenvant Town in the East Village.

Only the BX28 runs all nights in that area currently. It connects to the (2) at Gun Hill Rd.

Riders do have the option of transferring to the (4) at 149th Street/Grand Concourse (though they might be leary of making a transfer in that area of The Bronx at night)

How about having the Bx12 go past section 4 into northern Co-Op City? How long are the layovers at night?

The Bx23 would be much cheaper to run overnight than the BxM7.

Yeah, but no express bus runs 24/7 anyway. They get later service than the X1 in many cases and X1 riders have little options as well late at night, not to mention that the X1 gets far more riders than the BXM7. In short, seeing the frequencies that they get and late service they get, they've got it pretty good in terms of express bus service and their commutes are far shorter than X1 riders.

At night, the only route in the area is the Bx28 (remember: This thread is about overnight service)

Riders do have the option of transferring to the (4) at 149th Street/Grand Concourse (though they might be leary of making a transfer in that area of The Bronx at night)

How about having the Bx12 go past section 4 into northern Co-Op City? How long are the layovers at night?

According to the MTA the (BX12) "Local' travel time between 207th St/Bway and Bartow/Edson is 31-35 minutes. The (BX12) headways at that hour is every 40 minutes. So basically a 5-6 minute 'layover.'

If you extended the BX12 to serve most or all of COOP then you have to increase service to at least every 30 minutes.

Yeah, but no express bus runs 24/7 anyway. They get later service than the X1 in many cases and X1 riders have little options as well late at night, not to mention that the X1 gets far more riders than the BXM7. In short, seeing the frequencies that they get and late service they get, they've got it pretty good in terms of express bus service and their commutes are far shorter than X1 riders.

No, but it does get roughly the same ridership as the X10 (and is cheaper to operate than any SI route), which you've argued should receive overnight service.

See this sheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=1

And what are you talking about that the BxM7 gets later service than the X1? No route in the city runs later than the X1.

And their commutes aren't that much shorter than the commutes of X1 riders. Maybe if you eliminated both routes, and compared the Bx23->(6)/<6> commute to the S79->(R)->(N) commute, it would be longer, but they aren't longer under the current form.

According to the MTA the (BX12) "Local' travel time between 207th St/Bway and Bartow/Edson is 31-35 minutes. The (BX12) headways at that hour is every 40 minutes. So basically a 5-6 minute 'layover.'

If you extended the BX12 to serve most or all of COOP then you have to increase service to at least every 30 minutes.

Then it would probably be easier to have 1 Bx23 serve all of Co-Op City overnight.

To the MTA the cost is the same since they don't have to pay for it.

MTA could run the Bx23 24/7 and just make the Bx28 run via Section 5 only 24/7. Saves MTA a bit of money. Two Bx23 buses could run at 40-60 minute headways in each direction. If one bus is used, the headways would be more than 60 minutes (75-80) if they try to alternate between 1-2-3-4-5 and 5-4-3-2-1.

BxM7 could run 24/7 but combined with the BxM7A late nights (could even skip Crosby Avenue and stay on Bruckner Blvd depending upon ridership).

Which is why it's preferred the Bx23 runs overnight to give Co-Op riders direct access to the East Side

And what are you talking about that the BxM7 gets later service than the X1? No route in the city runs later than the X1.

And their commutes aren't that much shorter than the commutes of X1 riders. Maybe if you eliminated both routes, and compared the Bx23->(6)/<6> commute to the S79->(R)->(N) commute, it would be longer, but they aren't longer under the current form.

Wrong on both fronts...

The entire commute on the BXM7 is supposed to take one hour at all times.

Compare that to the X1, which takes almost 2 hours in most cases.

Second, the BXM7 and most Bronx express buses run longer than the X1 or X10 for that matter. Sunday service is a perfect example. Most of the Bronx express buses have a bus up until 00:00 while the last X1 is at 23:00, which is ridiculous, not to mention that there is hourly service between 22:00 and 23:00 on the busiest express bus line in the city. That last X1, which I will be using tonight is packed and usually SRO. And why bring up the costs for?? I think it is completely irrelevant, simply because you are comparing two different boroughs with completely different commutes and needs. Naturally the X1 will cost more because it is almost double the time than the BMX7's commute. I'm not going to say that the Bronx doesn't need their express bus service because they do, but when you factor in that we have no subways compared to the Bronx and that they have express bus service longer than we do, I think it is a slap in the face. Also, doesn't the city chip in for the (MTA) Bus express buses anyway? That would also explain why the cost per rider would be cheaper than SI express buses IF that is factored into the cost per passenger.

Wrong on both fronts...

The entire commute on the BXM7 is supposed to take one hour at all times.

Compare that to the X1, which takes almost 2 hours in most cases.

Second, the BXM7 and most Bronx express buses run longer than the X1 or X10 for that matter. Sunday service is a perfect example. Most of the Bronx express buses have a bus up until 00:00 while the last X1 is at 23:00, which is ridiculous, not to mention that there is hourly service between 22:00 and 23:00 on the busiest express bus line in the city. That last X1, which I will be using tonight is packed and usually SRO. And why bring up the costs for?? I think it is completely irrelevant, simply because you are comparing two different boroughs with completely different commutes and needs. Naturally the X1 will cost more because it is almost double the time than the BMX7's commute. I'm not going to say that the Bronx doesn't need their express bus service because they do, but when you factor in that we have no subways compared to the Bronx and that they have express bus service longer than we do, I think it is a slap in the face. Also, doesn't the city chip in for the (MTA) Bus express buses anyway? That would also explain why the cost per rider would be cheaper than SI express buses IF that is factored into the cost per passenger.

Technically, the last weekday X1 leaves Central Park West at 1:35AM, while the last BxM7 leaves 23rd Street/Madison Avenue at 1:30AM, so it does technically leave later. B)

In the morning, though, the X1 is the first express bus in the city to leave the terminal. No Bronx express bus leaves at 3:30AM and gets to Central Park West at 4:37AM (the first BxM7 and BxM9 leave at 5:00AM).

I stand corrected, though (and the fact that the city is paying for the MTA Express buses is probably the reason why they are so generous with the service). That's one thing I'll agree with you regarding express buses: The high ridership routes should have 24/7 service.

It isn't factored into the cost per passenger. Whether the city or MTA pays is irrelevant when doing the calculations.

How hilly is the Kingsbridge area? The two streets are only about 1/4 mile away (though Fort Independence Avenue and Broadway are separated by the Major Deegan Expressway).

The problem is that it got something like 36 riders per night, which was below the 45 riders required to keep overnight service.

At least it is somewhat near the Q12, Q27, and Q46 (at the furthest point, it is about 1 mile away)

The whole area is in a valley between Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil and Kingsbridge Heights. There's city steps everywhere and the hills are steep, see the 225 ST-Kingsbridge one the (Bx9) uses. Buses go about 10mph up and down it and during any heavy storm thats the 1st service that tends to get screwed in the area. I don't believe the (Bx3) needs full overnight service just that the last bus S/B needs to be about an hour later. 12:50 doesn't cut it when on a Friday, people are still out.

Walking to Northern, HH Expwy or Union from any of the other ones is a trek. its another area full of hills. Also the (Q27) isn't a viable option between Utopia and Springfield when it runs closer to Northern (via 46-48 Aves) than HH Expwy which is roughly about 61 Av. The absence of the Q30 leaves Jamaica Estates, Utopia Pkwy, Fresh Meadows, Oakland Gardens (east of Springfield) and South Little Neck without service.

The whole area is in a valley between Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil and Kingsbridge Heights. There's city steps everywhere and the hills are steep, see the 225 ST-Kingsbridge one the (Bx9) uses. Buses go about 10mph up and down it and during any heavy storm thats the 1st service that tends to get screwed in the area. I don't believe the (Bx3) needs full overnight service just that the last bus S/B needs to be about an hour later. 12:50 doesn't cut it when on a Friday, people are still out.

Walking to Northern, HH Expwy or Union from any of the other ones is a trek. its another area full of hills. Also the (Q27) isn't a viable option between Utopia and Springfield when it runs closer to Northern (via 46-48 Aves) than HH Expwy which is roughly about 61 Av. The absence of the Q30 leaves Jamaica Estates, Utopia Pkwy, Fresh Meadows, Oakland Gardens (east of Springfield) and South Little Neck without service.

I think it most heavily affects the Little Neck area as well as parts of Douglaston, since the Long Island Expressway tears up much of the route and the absence of the Q79 makes much of that area inaccessible by any bus.

I think it most heavily affects the Little Neck area as well as parts of Douglaston, since the Long Island Expressway tears up much of the route and the absence of the Q79 makes much of that area inaccessible by any bus.

If I had my way I would have extended Q50 over northern blvd with limited stops to green acres then replace the Q79 restoring service that was lost then combine it with the N1 ans N2 lines and have one major line. Top it off with QM5/6 LIE express lines that can feed into em and u have a winner.

If I had my way I would have extended Q50 over northern blvd with limited stops to green acres then replace the Q79 restoring service that was lost then combine it with the N1 ans N2 lines and have one major line. Top it off with QM5/6 LIE express lines that can feed into em and u have a winner.

You can't be serious? Why would you extend a bus from Flushing all the way to Valley Stream? What sense does that make? Green Acres already got enough bus routes over there. Do you know where the N1 and N2 heads to? It sounds like you don't!

Not to mention that the Bx3 doesn't have really high ridership north of Kingsbridge Rd during most off-peak hours anyway. Around the Kingsbridge Heights area, the Bx9 dominates since it goes to Fordham.

Question, who in the hell in Green Acres wants direct access to Flushing and/or Co-Op? What the hell were you smoking?

That's a lot to cover a route that ran every twenty two minutes during rush hour.....

I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but here's the list of routes that currently run over night:

Bronx

Bx6-As far west as Amsterdam Av

Bx9

Bx10

Bx12

Bx15

Bx19-As far west as Broadway

Bx21

Bx28-As far west as 205 St (D)

Bx35

Bx36

Bx40

Bx41

Brooklyn

B1

B3

B6

B8-from 95 St (R) to Brookdale Hospital

B12

B14

B15

B17

B25

B26

B35

B36

B38-Catalpa Av Branch

B41

B42

B43

B44

B46

B47

B48

B52

B54

B60

B61

B62

B63

B68

B82

Manhattan

M2

M7

M14D

M15

M23

M42

M60

M79

M86

M96

M101

M102

M103

M104

Nassau

N4

N6

Queens

Q1-to Jamaica via Queens Village LIRR

Q2

Q3

Q4

Q5-to Rosedale LIRR

Q6

Q10

Q11-as far south as Pitkin

Q12

Q17

Q24

Q25

Q27-to Springfield/Horace Harding

Q28

Q33

Q35

Q36

Q39

Q40

Q43

Q44

Q46

Q54

Q55

Q56

Q58

Q59

Q60

Q65

Q66

Q83-to Queens Village LIRR

Q85-to Rosedale

Q100

Q101

Q110

Q111

Q113

Staten Island

S40

S46

S48

S51

S53

S62

S74

S78

Any buses that should or should not be on the list?

Replies in red.

I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but here's the list of routes that currently run over night:

Bronx

Bx6-As far west as Amsterdam Av-Of course Yes.

Bx9-Yes-Headways should be decreased to every 30-40 minutes.

Bx10-Yes

Bx12-Yes. Headways should be decreased to every 20-30 minutes.

Bx15-Yes. All trips overnight should run the full route between Harlem(12th Ave/125th) & Fordham every 20-30 minutes..

Bx19-As far west as Broadway-Yes.

Bx21-I have only been on this route a few times but yes.

Bx28-As far west as 205 St (D)-Yes-Should have 30-minute headways.

Bx35-Not Sure as I riden it couple of times.

Bx36-Yes.

Bx40-Yes-Tremont Ave is one of the most important streets in Bronx. Thus a 24/7 bus line is needed.

Bx41-Yes. Should have 30-minute headways overnights.

Added to list for overnight service. Either BXM7 or BX23(only '1' service) for added service in Coop. Also the BX1.

Brooklyn

B1-Yes of Course. One of the busier routes in SW Brooklyn. Should have 30 minute headways overnights.

B3-Yes.

B6-Yes-Should have 30-minute headways.

B8-from 95 St (R) to Brookdale Hospital-Yes.

B12-Yes.B14-Yes.B15-Yes.

B17-Yes.

B25- "No." If any needed cuts overnight service on this route needs to go. Not saying I want an end to owl (B25) but making a point. The (A) and (B26) are alternative routes.B26

B35-Of Course Yes. It only all night bus line in parts of Coney Island, Brighton and Sheapshead Bay.

B36- Yes.

B38-Catalpa Av Branch-Yes.

B41-Yes-It could be argued that the B41, B44 and B46 should all have 30-40 minute headways overnights. However if any further cuts are needed, I would consider ending Bergen Beach service.

B42-Yes

B43-Not sure. It in the same category as the (B25). If any needed or doomsday II cuts occured, Overnight

B43 needs to go. Alternatives would be the (G) train (B44) and (B62).

B44-Yes. Yes-It could be argued that the B41, B44 and B46 should all have 30-40 minute headways overnights.

B46-Yes.

B47-Yes.

B48-"No."The Franklin Ave shuttle, "B62" and (B44) are nearby..

B52-Yes..

B54-Yes

B60-Yes

B61-Yes. Only 24/7 bus route in most of the Red Hook/Carrol Gardens area.

B62-Yes. Also sometimes a speedy alternative to the (G) train especially during G/O's..

B63-Yes. It could be argued that overnight headways should be 30 minutes since the (R) is running only as a shuttle.

B68-Yes.

B82-Yes.

Brooklyn buses that should be added for hourly overnight service IMO. B45 B49 and B83.

Rest of my replies later.

Replies in red.

Bronx

Bx6-As far west as Amsterdam Av-Of course Yes.

Bx9-Yes-Headways should be decreased to every 30-40 minutes.

Bx10-Yes

Bx12-Yes. Headways should be decreased to every 20-30 minutes.

Bx15-Yes. All trips overnight should run the full route between Harlem(12th Ave/125th) & Fordham every 20-30 minutes..

Bx19-As far west as Broadway-Yes.

Bx21-I have only been on this route a few times but yes.

Bx28-As far west as 205 St (D)-Yes-Should have 30-minute headways.

Bx35-Not Sure as I riden it couple of times.

Bx36-Yes.

Bx40-Yes-Tremont Ave is one of the most important streets in Bronx. Thus a 24/7 bus line is needed.

Bx41-Yes. Should have 30-minute headways overnights.

Added to list for overnight service. Either BXM7 or BX23(only '1' service) for added service in Coop. Also the BX1.

Brooklyn

B1-Yes of Course. One of the busier routes in SW Brooklyn. Should have 30 minute headways overnights.

B3-Yes.

B6-Yes-Should have 30-minute headways.

B8-from 95 St (R) to Brookdale Hospital-Yes

B12-Yes.

B14-Yes.

B15-Yes.

B17-Yes.

B25- "No." If any needed cuts overnight service on this route needs to go. Not saying I want an end to owl (B25) but making a point. The (A) and (B26) are alternative routes.B26

B35-Of Course Yes.

B36- Yes. It only all night bus line in parts of Coney Island, Brighton and Sheapshead Bay.

B38-Catalpa Av Branch-Yes.

B41-Yes-It could be argued that the B41, B44 and B46 should all have 30-40 minute headways overnights. However if any further cuts are needed, I would consider ending Bergen Beach service.

B42-Yes

B43-Not sure. It in the same category as the (B25). If any needed or doomsday II cuts occured, Overnight

B43 needs to go. Alternatives would be the (G) train (B44) and (B62).

B44-Yes. Yes-It could be argued that the B41, B44 and B46 should all have 30-40 minute headways overnights.

B46-Yes

B47-Yes.

B48-"No."The Franklin Ave shuttle, "B61" and (B44) are nearby..

B52-Yes..

B54-Yes

B60-Yes

B61-Yes. Only 24/7 bus route in most of the Red Hook/Carrol Gardens area.

B62-Yes. Also sometimes a speedy alternative to the (G) train especially during G/O's..

B63-Yes. It could be argued that overnight headways should be 30 minutes since the (R) is running only as a shuttle.

B68-Yes.

B82-Yes.

Brooklyn buses that should be added for hourly overnight service IMO. B45 B49 and B83.

Rest of my replies later.

I forgot the (Bx27) runs overnight as far north as Morrison Av (6) and there's a (Bx4) shuttle from Simpson St (2)(5) to Parkchester until Elder and St Lawrence Avenues reopen. Don't know whether it should be permanent though. The (Bx15) run overnight it's just that north of 149 St-3 Av (2)(5), it runs every 20 minutes

I forgot the (Bx27) runs overnight as far north as Morrison Av (6) and there's a (Bx4) shuttle from Simpson St (2)(5) to Parkchester until Elder and St Lawrence Avenues reopen. Don't know whether it should be permanent though. The (Bx15) run overnight it's just that north of 149 St-3 Av (2)(5), it runs every 20 minutes

You also forgot that the Bx22 runs late nights, only between Castle Hill and Pelham Parkway South/Boston Road.

Archived