GOs galore: May 21-22

Amtrak7

With no (7) service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square, shouldn't the (Q) be extended to Astoria for the weekend? Those (N) trains are going to be packed.

So the (7) doesn't go past Queensboro Plaza going to Manhattan. Umm, can't the (Q) trains help out the (N) since the (N)'s going to carry the load of the (7) passengers coming to/from the IRT (7) Flushing line?

Hey Matt! Trying out for a pirate movie? :P

as i would have that g.o.:

(C) trains run between 168th street and west 4th, then via the (F) line to broadway-lafayette, the (M) line to essex street and then via the (J) line to broadway junction, where transfers to the (A) and (F) to euclid avenue are available.

This would give everyone a chance to see if it is feasible down the road to have the (M) eventually go up cpw to 168th or to bedford park blvd., giving broadway-brooklyn riders in the latter case a potential one-seat ride to yankee stadium.

n-o. No.

MTA releases the actual service advisory notices to the public! (at least for the (F)(G))

Map

Poster

Brochure

The (1)(7) GO's aren't that onerous, but in combination, it's a lot. I feel bad for those who must get involved in all 3, plus various minor express runs.

The (Q) is not running to Astoria, but there will be extra service on the (N) short-turning.

n-o. No.

And what is so wrong with that?

I believe it is worth the expense of doing, as I would want to use G.O.s as an excuse to do experiments that can show what may or may not work in the future. To me, such experiments are very important for long-term purposes.

I believe it is worth the expense of doing, as I would want to use G.O.s as an excuse to do experiments that can show what may or may not work in the future. To me, such experiments are very important for long-term purposes.

G.O.s aren't an excuse for anything other than performing maintenance on track beds and infrastructure that need the work.

Here is a statement from the (MTA)

"Service along segments of three subway lines will be severely disrupted this weekend as crews make necessary infrastructure improvements that can only be performed with the suspension of train service. Pressing maintenance work along the (7) Line will halt all service between Times Square and Queensboro Plaza while (F) and (G) service will be curtailed due to the ongoing rehabilitation of the Culver Line Viaduct. New York City is a 24-hour town and the subway system reflects that activity, making it virtually impossible to perform major maintenance and system improvement projects during the week.

Often such jobs must be performed under what we call a 55-hour weekend General Order G.O. A "G.O." suspends subway service in the area so that maintenance workers can perform their tasks uninterrupted and without interference from passing trains.

In some instances, several hundred feet of track will be removed and replaced during these weekend service suspensions, a task that would not be possible solely during overnight hours. Additionally, to increase efficiency, work is usually piggybacked, meaning several projects may be performed at the same time so that we do not have to shut that area down for other jobs.

"The two major subway maintenance projects taking place this weekend – one in Queens and one in Brooklyn -- will affect thousands of subway customers but also highlight the ongoing need for infrastructure improvements to an aging system that never rests," said Carmen Bianco, Senior Vice President of the Department of Subways. "The only way we can perform this work is by suspending service. It is inconvenient for our riders, but this work is crucial to the safe and efficient operation of the system."

The weekend work that is part of the Culver Viaduct Rehabilitation Project will necessitate changes to (F) and (G) service. Beginning at 11:30 p.m. Friday, May 20 and continuing until 5 a.m. Monday, May 23, (F) train service will be out between Jay Street-MetroTech and 18th Avenue and there will be no (G) service between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets and Church Avenue. Both lines will operate in two sections and shuttle bus service will replace trains along the (F) Line.

Much-needed repairs and improvements are being made to Brooklyn's Culver Line including the rebuilding of the viaduct, track replacement and signal and switch renewal. We are also restoring the platforms, canopies and the historic arch at the 4th Avenue-9th Street station. This $275 million engineering and construction project is necessary to rehabilitate the steel and concrete viaduct which first opened in 1933 as part of the IND system. The project area stretches from the tunnel portal south of the Carroll Street station to the portal south of Fourth Avenue.

An aging signal system and water-related issues in the vicinity of the Vernon-Jackson station in Long Island City have caused service delays along the (7) Flushing Line. Work scheduled for this weekend includes signal circuit repair, removal of silt and muck from the roadbed, power system improvements in the area and repairs to the Steinway tube, including grouting of tunnel walls to address water intrusion.

A key cause of the recent delays will be eliminated as a result of our work in the area, but will require some travel headaches. Meanwhile, a longer-term project to install a state-of-the-art signaling system is also underway and this project will require further suspensions in service. The signals controlling train traffic on the Flushing Line are anywhere from 50 to 90 years old and in need of replacement. The contract for the installation of a modern, Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) system was awarded in June of 2010 with a substantial completion date of late 2016.

Customers are being alerted to planned service changes through station signage, train announcements and the MTA website. For up-to-date and accurate service information, customers should log onto mta.info early and often."

If I intrepreted the (MTA)'s site correctly, the extra (N) service is running between 34th St and Queensborough Plaza on the Express tracks, while the (Q) is running local between Canal and 57th St. Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to at least run the (Q) up to Queensboro Plaza?

Guest lance25

If I'm right (correct me if I'm not), extending the (Q) costs more since it requires more crews at overtime pay (similar to the idea of sending the (G) to 71 Av when the (E) runs via 63rd Street), whereas short-turning a few (N)s at either Queensboro Plaza or 34 St-Herald Sq equals a few more total trips at no added cost. Even if the (Q) is just extended to Queensboro Plaza, a few more trains would have to be added so the headways remain at or close to normal. If they're not added, the (Q) would run at longer intervals.

Thank goodness you're not in MTA's Operations and Planning Department....

G.O.s aren't an excuse for anything other than performing maintenance on track beds and infrastructure that need the work.

Understand where you're coming from, however, to me, G.O.'s also afford an opportunity to do experimental routing in certain situations (not always, however). The situation this past weekend to me presented a chance to experiment with the (C) running to the Broadway Junction (J) station to see if such a service from Broadway Junction down the road is feasible.

Understand where you're coming from, however, to me, G.O.'s also afford an opportunity to do experimental routing in certain situations (not always, however). The situation this past weekend to me presented a chance to experiment with the (C) running to the Broadway Junction (J) station to see if such a service from Broadway Junction down the road is feasible.

So you're willing to impede REAL subway work just to see your fantasies come to light???

Keep on foamin'....

As I would have that G.O.:

(C) trains run between 168th Street and West 4th, then via the (F) line to Broadway-Lafayette, the (M) line to Essex Street and then via the (J) line to Broadway Junction, where transfers to the (A) and (F) to Euclid Avenue are available.

This would give everyone a chance to see if it is feasible down the road to have the (M) eventually go up CPW to 168th or to Bedford Park Blvd., giving Broadway-Brooklyn riders in the latter case a potential one-seat ride to Yankee Stadium.

Jesus, that'd be a tourist's nightmare.

Guest lance25
Jesus, that'd be a tourist's nightmare.

...and an operations nightmare. Just cause the (C) was sent via Sixth Avenue south of W 4 St, it doesn't mean that the (MTA) should "test out" new routes. The (C) was sent to 2 Av because the (F) was running to Euclid Av and not Stillwell Av and for whatever reason, they didn't want two lines terminating at the World Trade Center. Nothing more, nothing less. This ain't the (E), nor is the '80s, so while some may appreciate your ideas, most people will frown on your (C) to Broadway Junction/Metropolitan Av/Parsons-Archer plan as they're either too long or require more switching than the usefulness of the line.

...and an operations nightmare. Just cause the (C) was sent via Sixth Avenue south of W 4 St, it doesn't mean that the (MTA) should "test out" new routes. The (C) was sent to 2 Av because the (F) was running to Euclid Av and not Stillwell Av and for whatever reason, they didn't want two lines terminating at the World Trade Center. Nothing more, nothing less. This ain't the (E), nor is the '80s, so while some may appreciate your ideas, most people will frown on your (C) to Broadway Junction/Metropolitan Av/Parsons-Archer plan as they're either too long or require more switching than the usefulness of the line.

Best post out of the entire thread! The thanks button isn't enough, I personally have to write a thank you reply to this post. THANK YOU!!!

Like I said, I'm just looking at long-term feasibility and giving some riders on the (C) in Manhattan who may be specifically looking for Broadway Junction a chance to keep their one-seat ride by having the (C) still go there, just via a different route from the normal. Yes, it probably would be confusing to some, but at the same time, some of us go back to a time when you were expected to pay attention on everything, and this would be a case where riders who pay attention and know what's going on would be able to take advantage of alternate routes, same in that regard as any other G.O.

I realize of course the real purpose of G.O.'s is to get essential work done that has to be done. My views are always going to be different from many on routing during G.O.'s because I'm looking at down the road, not from a fantasy standpoint, but in a lot of cases from suggestions of others I have read that make sense to me from their potential to be future routes.

This thread needs a lock.. Nothing but crap being posted and this G/O is done... Today is MAY 24, NOT MAY 21-22..

Like I said, I'm just looking at long-term feasibility and giving some riders on the (C) in Manhattan who may be specifically looking for Broadway Junction a chance to keep their one-seat ride by having the (C) still go there, just via a different route from the normal. Yes, it probably would be confusing to some, but at the same time, some of us go back to a time when you were expected to pay attention on everything, and this would be a case where riders who pay attention and know what's going on would be able to take advantage of alternate routes, same in that regard as any other G.O.

I realize of course the real purpose of G.O.'s is to get essential work done that has to be done. My views are always going to be different from many on routing during G.O.'s because I'm looking at down the road, not from a fantasy standpoint, but in a lot of cases from suggestions of others I have read that make sense to me from their potential to be future routes.

Do you have the money for this? MONEY plays a role here.. If you don't have the money to give it to the (MTA) then move along and quit talking about the (C) via the BMT Jamaica. G/Os are not meant to have fun for the railbuffs... Its about getting the system to work well to move people around, especially since this system is OVER 100 Years old... Yeah the (C) can go to Brooklyn via the (J), but there is no money for that nor a point.. Just take the (A) to Broadway Junction or the (F).. If not then let it be..

As I said, I would find the money for it if it were up to me, as to me, they would be worth doing.

I did say it would be worth the money to do that in earlier posts.

Yeah and lets see if the (MTA) would even care...

Move on to important issues, then a stupid extension of the (C) via the (J). FOR JUST a stupid 1 weekend..

Archived