GOs galore: May 21-22

Amtrak7

Yeah and lets see if the (MTA) would even care...

Move on to important issues, then a stupid extension of the (C) via the (J). FOR JUST a stupid 1 weekend..

Wallyhorse obviously must want a rush of angry passengers at his doorstep.

These ideas are pointless.

Guest lance25

Before this thread gets locked, let me explain why your plan won't work Wallyhorse. Firstly, as stated previously, G.O.s aren't the time to "test out" new routes, no matter how good they may look on paper. G.O.s are used to get construction and other maintenance done. Sending routes to different locations just for the hell of it not only impedes this; it also add unnecessary congestion and delays to other lines because of the trains and the switching.

Second, think about how your idea would work in a normal day, not during an unusual bunch of route diversions. Sending the (C) to Broadway Junction, Metropolitan Av, what have you would require the diversion of another line. Either the (A) will have to run local in Brooklyn (which will never happen seeing as it took decades for the (MTA) to get the (A) and (C) to where they are now) or to extend the (E) to Euclid Av, which while slightly more logical, calls for the abandonment of half the Chambers St-World Trade Center station and the easy connection to PATH at said station.

Also, by sending the (C) via the Jamaica line, you not only have three locals running on Sixth Avenue between West 4 St and the Chrystie St connection (I'm assuming that your "plan" doesn't have both the (C) and (M) using the connection), but the constant switching between the Eighth & Sixth Avenue lines will at the very least cause some serious delays on all lines running through the station. There's a reason why there's never been a line running from Sixth Avenue to Eighth Avenue or vice-versa outside of construction-related diversions. It isn't because it's impossible, but rather the cons greatly outweigh any benefits of such a route.

Like I said in my previous post, while it's good that you have ideas like these and they might look good on paper, their practicality comes into question real quick in an operation's standpoint.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't G.O. just a fancy way of saying detour? If so, then Wallyhorse, I have to take everyones side here. You don't try to make a separate route out of a detour because people who normally ride the route would be wondering why they decided to make it go this way. And lets say you idea works out... then when its over, everyone who liked that new way can't ride it anymore.

You just don't make a new route out of a detour. You're supposed to stay as close to the original line/routing as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't G.O. just a fancy way of saying detour? If so, then Wallyhorse, I have to take everyones side here. You don't try to make a separate route out of a detour because people who normally ride the route would be wondering why they decided to make it go this way. And lets say you idea works out... then when its over, everyone who liked that new way can't ride it anymore.

You just don't make a new route out of a detour. You're supposed to stay as close to the original line/routing as possible.

G.O. = General Order

In the NYCTA Rapid Transit System (RTO) it is used as another way for saying construction along the ROW. So yeah detours are involved in it. But not detours for fun, but if needed... And note that G/Os cost $$$ and brings in angry customers who hate reroutes xD!!

Like I said, I'm just looking at long-term feasibility and giving some riders on the (C) in Manhattan who may be specifically looking for Broadway Junction a chance to keep their one-seat ride by having the (C) still go there, just via a different route from the normal. Yes, it probably would be confusing to some, but at the same time, some of us go back to a time when you were expected to pay attention on everything, and this would be a case where riders who pay attention and know what's going on would be able to take advantage of alternate routes, same in that regard as any other G.O.

I realize of course the real purpose of G.O.'s is to get essential work done that has to be done. My views are always going to be different from many on routing during G.O.'s because I'm looking at down the road, not from a fantasy standpoint, but in a lot of cases from suggestions of others I have read that make sense to me from their potential to be future routes.

That, or these 3 easier options...

1. Take the (C) to the nearest express stop and catch the (A)

2. Get off at Fulton St and take the (J)

3. Get off at 14 St and take the (L)

...Or you can just stay on the (C) to Broadway Junction

I'm just saying

Archived