Howard Beach - JFK Direct Rail Connection

Tokkemon

Interesting question that I thought the community could weigh in on.

At the Howard Beach-JFK Station, could a direct track connection ever be built between the (A) and (JFK) Airtrain?

My idea was as follows: After Aqueduct-N Conduit, have the defunct express tracks elevate above the ground and eventually make it to the level of the Airtrain, then curve toward it for a direct connection. I've been studying the station, however, and it looks like there wouldn't be enough room for such a curve, not to mention the whole new concourse is in the way of the second track in a curve to the current Airtrain level. Perhaps going under or even *above* the current Airtrain level?

The Airtrain is a People Mover. It is extremely different from a subway train. Therefore they can't run together.

It's not about running together, it's about connecting the (A)-tracks to the Airtrain PLATFORM.

Also you can't split the (A) into a third branch going to the Airtrain. The (A) as it currently is presents problems. I wouldn't mind if you push the (C) down there though, but I don't really see a need for that. The buses seem to be doing fine.

Actually I was thinking of not connecting the (A) to JFK but the (T) (or some other line) once it gets connected to Brooklyn. Fantasy world, you know.

I believe the Airtrain *could* be converted into full integration with the subway system in time. It may take a few decades, but its certainly possible, especially once new rolling stock replaces the old stuff.

I don't think so. A people mover is a very different sort of structure from the subway. The FRA won't allow that to happen. A more feasible idea is to extend a branch of the Airtrain to Howard Beach. I think another idea would be to spur another line off the Airtrain at the Jamaica Station, and have it run to LaGuardia Airport instead.

I don't think so. A people mover is a very different sort of structure from the subway. The FRA won't allow that to happen. A more feasible idea is to extend a branch of the Airtrain to Howard Beach. I think another idea would be to spur another line off the Airtrain at the Jamaica Station, and have it run to LaGuardia Airport instead.

It would be great, but too bad even the most feasible ideas die because of NIMBYism. Sigh.

The Airtrain could be extended along the old Rockaway Park branch of the LIRR to connect with the Queens Boulevard line.

The AirTrain already has a connection to the (E) at sutphin Blvd. To run the AT over the former LIRR ROW would just mirror the Van Wyck 'branch'. It's not going to hapen.

I was thinking of how London (and other cities, I can't think of them off the top of my head) does it with their direct connection to the Airport via Subway. When passengers exit, they would have to swipe again to pay an additional fare. Granted, it would require more fare control, but it would also give a speedy one-seat ride to Manhattan, which everyone dies for in this country.

The Airtrain is a People Mover. It is extremely different from a subway train. Therefore they can't run together.

Roadcruiser.. You always state what can't be done.. you have to think outside the box.. Understand People make rules and laws.. and they can change them..What's to stop a direct Connection... Hell the DLR in London which is also a People Mover. It links with the Tube and UK rail.. and there expanding for the Olympics I was there a month ago. Even tho they dont share a direct platform why can't you find a way to.. There nothing in the physical world that prevents it.. Find a way to work around the issues, Ie Fare Control ect.. If people can move around better.! You weigh the Pro's and Cons and you find ways around Limits for the greater goal.

You make a good point Rob. However until the NIMBY's many of them in love with their cars and have a negative view of any form of mass transit changes, even great ideas like creating 'light rail' for the outerboros of NYC or this question of extending the AT will never occur.

Back to topic. The only 'realstic' option would be to connect the Van Wyck branch of the Airtrain to the main line LIRR.

Roadcruiser.. You always state what can't be done.. you have to think outside the box.. Understand People make rules and laws.. and they can change them..What's to stop a direct Connection... Hell the DLR in London which is also a People Mover. It links with the Tube and UK rail.. and there expanding for the Olympics I was there a month ago. Even tho they dont share a direct platform why can't you find a way to.. There nothing in the physical world that prevents it.. Find a way to work around the issues, Ie Fare Control ect.. If people can move around better.! You weigh the Pro's and Cons and you find ways around Limits for the greater goal.

Once again. I will explain it clearly. A people mover is like a monorail. You can't connect a monorail to a subway line. If it could have had been done it would have had been done, but you can't. Also to answer your questions we did have a subway train connection to JFK. You guys didn't forget that did you?. The "Train To The Plane" (JFK) had a connection to Manhattan, and was a super express to JFK. It cost the (MTA) money, and was extremely unsuccessful.

Of course you could always watch videos to get the nostalgia.

Archived