Petition started to restore lost bus service in Mid and Southern Brooklyn

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear it a lot because I work with a lot of financial documents and being a linguist I know that the term is thrown around quite a bit. The U.S. as a whole is seen as a very rich country. Of course not all of those people are filthy rich. I'm putting my example below from a financial document that was just translated from English.

Here is a piece from a project that I was working on written by an American consulting/accounting firm:

"Other incentives to invest in the United States are the inexpensive labor force... the diverse population centers and the ever-changing trends and tastes in a very large and affluent consumer market."

What we would consider to be "rich" is clearly a small percentage of the population, so they obviously have to be referring to the middle class as well in this example. In sum, the term "affluent" can be used in a very broad sense and can be used with the middle class depending on the situation.

You should be precise. Affluent indicates a large amount of disposable income. Upper middle class counts, but the middle class do not count. Middle class people have a higher standard of living, but are not considered to have a large amount of disposable income. Anyone with an income below $200,000 is not considered affluent. Sheepshead Bay is middle class, but not affluent. Tottenville and Charleston have affluent pockets in a middle class neighborhood. Todt Hill is affluent.

The line indicating the difference between upper middle class and rich keep moving, but generally is considered to be $1M.

The X29 was cut because the (;)(Q) Brighton Line, the (F) Culver Line, and the B68 along Coney Island Avenue to/from the (F) at Prospect Park are there. Of course there's always the BM3 to help out too along Ocean Avenue.

Yeah and just because those people get off and walk doesn't mean that they're walking home. There are plenty of folks on the X14 that get off and get in their cars and drive home. They may just not park so close to the bus stop or they may walk to a spot a wait to get picked up. Let's not be too naïve about that many people getting off in that area. Granted some of them I know do live there, but there are plenty of them that get off and walk to a pick up spot or walk to their parked car further away. You know that there's this stigma on Staten Island about folks walking overall. That's why you see some of them running to the car. It's like they can't be seen walking because it's too déclassé or something. lol To be honest though, in my neighbourhood and especially on my block, everybody hops in their cars. I'm one of the few that actually walk to my bus stop for a relative long distance (5 or so blocks to the X30. It's usually very evident too who is doing what. The folks I see walking in my area are either too poor to use public transportation like some the Mexicans I see passing through the area from time to time or you'll have folks walking their dog or going for a walk or a jog along Forest Avenue. Now at my X30 stop there is occasionally a white lady that waits there, but it is very clear that doesn't walk very far based on what she wears to walk in.

Even me, I'll do the "go for a walk" thing if I'm the mood to walk and the weather is nice to or from the X10 and people can tell that you're not this poor dude by the way you're dressed. However, of late I wouldn't be caught dead walking from the X10 and it's probably because I'm starting to realize this stigma attached to walking around on the island. I just call car service and have a car waiting for me once I get off of the bus.

There was an RPA report I read discussing auto ownership in poor neighborhoods. As we all know, auto ownership is very expensive, but there are some areas (all over the US, not just in NYC) where the transportation is

poor, so even the poor people have to own cars.

I'm not saying that Mariners' Harbor is a poor area (at least not overall), but the thing is that there are people who are willing to spend more money on their commute because the alternative takes too long. The same way that there are poor people who own cars because the bus service runs every 60 minutes is the same way that there are people who use the express bus because their commute would be much too long otherwise.

Basically, I'm saying that those people may not have as much disposable income as people further east, but they do use the express bus, even if they live in Mariners' Harbor (which, by the way has about the same median household income as Sheepshead Bay)

As far as there being a stigma attached to walking on SI, I don't really see it in my area. I do see people park their cars along the SIE service road and then walk to the express bus, but I also see a decent number of people walking home (either that, or they parked like really far from the bus stop)

why would you bring up (hits w/ no commas) if it the term were thrown around as much as you're trying to convey to me that it is... sounds fishy, but anyway, I'll play your little game....

...in the search, there were still hits w/ commas (3 on the first page alone)...

From what I gather, the use of the term is more an overseas thing (looking at the countries mentioned in the majority of the hits I saw)....

My point of view is of, that of an American....

and as one.... never in my life have I heard the terms affluence & middle class meshed together...

- Affluent, yes.... Especially when it pertains to money...

- Middle Class, not so much....

I'm not in the category of folk that (are quick to) throw people that aren't rich, or poor, in the category of being middle class... that would define the majority of people....

(I'm not saying YOU said I did or didn't... just pointing this out for the sake of discussion)

Just out of curiosity, what are your definitions of poor, rich, and middle class? And if somebody doesn't fall into the category of being rich, poor or middle class, what category do they fall into? Upper/lower-middle class?

I wonder how much money was saved as of right now

They were supposed to save about $100 million per year. They probably listed the budget in their financial documents, but I don't have the patience to skim through all of them.

I hear it a lot because I work with a lot of financial documents and being a linguist I know that the term is thrown around quite a bit. The U.S. as a whole is seen as a very rich country. Of course not all of those people are filthy rich. I'm putting my example below from a financial document that was just translated from English.

Here is a piece from a project that I was working on written by an American consulting/accounting firm:

"Other incentives to invest in the United States are the inexpensive labor force... the diverse population centers and the ever-changing trends and tastes in a very large and affluent consumer market."

What we would consider to be "rich" is clearly a small percentage of the population, so they obviously have to be referring to the middle class as well in this example. In sum, the term "affluent" can be used in a very broad sense and can be used with the middle class depending on the situation.

But that is overseas, though. We're a wealthy country compared to the world overall. However, in the US, you don't see people referring to a middle-class affluent neighborhood: It is either middle class or affluent, because our "middle class" is based on how a person's lifestyle compares to that of other Americans, not to people worldwide.

You should be precise. Affluent indicates a large amount of disposable income. Upper middle class counts, but the middle class do not count. Middle class people have a higher standard of living, but are not considered to have a large amount of disposable income. Anyone with an income below $200,000 is not considered affluent. Sheepshead Bay is middle class, but not affluent. Tottenville and Charleston have affluent pockets in a middle class neighborhood. Todt Hill is affluent.

The line indicating the difference between upper middle class and rich keep moving, but generally is considered to be $1M.

You mean $1 million in income or in assets? I think, for income, it is too much, but for assets, it is too little: It is possible for an average family to have saved up $1 million if they had a high-paying job for most of their lives, and were frugal with their money.

Yeah, and in sum a person can be middle class and affluent. Even if it is "upper middle class" it is still middle class and the point is that sometimes the term "upper middle class" isn't always used. The term is loosely thrown around and what one may consider to be affluent in one part of the U.S. may not be considered affluent to another person. Take for example someone living in San Francisco, which has a very high cost of living versus someone living somewhere in the South, where it is generally cheaper to live, but you still have some affluent folks down there. I also don't think that you can lump all folks in Sheepshead Bay into a category of being simply middle class. You have to think of some of the folks that live in Sheepshead Bay and some them that move here from abroad do have cash to burn. They could be considered upper middle class. I still think that that median income stat that checkmate gave is too low.

I'm not saying that Mariners' Harbor is a poor area (at least not overall), but the thing is that there are people who are willing to spend more money on their commute because the alternative takes too long. The same way that there are poor people who own cars because the bus service runs every 60 minutes is the same way that there are people who use the express bus because their commute would be much too long otherwise.

Basically, I'm saying that those people may not have as much disposable income as people further east, but they do use the express bus, even if they live in Mariners' Harbor (which, by the way has about the same median household income as Sheepshead Bay)

As far as there being a stigma attached to walking on SI, I don't really see it in my area. I do see people park their cars along the SIE service road and then walk to the express bus, but I also see a decent number of people walking home (either that, or they parked like really far from the bus stop)

But that is overseas, though. We're a wealthy country compared to the world overall. However, in the US, you don't see people referring to a middle-class affluent neighborhood: It is either middle class or affluent, because our "middle class" is based on how a person's lifestyle compares to that of other Americans, not to people worldwide.

It is not just used overseas. It is used here as well, as was pointed out by Jazumah. A person can be affluent and middle class. Sometimes they're referred to as upper middle class, but sometimes that distinction is not made because in the end upper middle class and middle class is still middle class and it is understood that there are different "levels" of the middle class. Also, it is not about how much money you make, but how much money you spend and what your expenses are. There are people earning 100 - 200k a year and they would considered "middle class" or perhaps "upper middle class" depending on where they are in the U.S., but they are barely making it because they're expenses are so high. It sounds insane but I've seen it a lot of financial shows like Suzie Orman. Meanwhile you can have another person making 80k a year with very low expenses such as no rent or mortage because their job pays for their apartment, and so while they earn 80k a year they have more disposable income than the person making 100 - 200k a year.

Regarding Mariners Harbor, I know some of them use it because I see some of them on the X12 that normally take the X30. I just have a hard time believing it isn't a poor community, especially seeing South Avenue, which looks like a third world country, especially north of Forest Avenue. The rents certainly seem to be much lower, which could explain how they can get together the cash to afford the express bus because some of them that I get on, quite frankly they don't look like the typical express bus rider. There's one lady that gets on the X30 sometimes and I sit there thinking, how in the world did she manage to find this bus? In other words, she looks like a welfare recipient or something. Jeans on with some sort of wild "hair do" if you want to call it that and so forth. Now granted some professionals do wear jeans, but they dress in a way that you can tell that they're going to work. Take me for example. Sometimes I dress down and don't wear a tie. Today I was wearing a pair of straight leg pants with a French cuff shirt w/a spread away collar, cufflinks and a pair of handmade Italian tassel loafers. I mean you saw me when I spoke at the hearing. I'm always well polished. :cool:

Oh and another thing that you left out is the high crime rate in Mariners Harbor. Usually those areas do not have express bus service, as the express bus tends to run through more upscale areas.

Yeah, and in sum a person can be middle class and affluent. Even if it is "upper middle class" it is still middle class and the point is that sometimes the term "upper middle class" isn't always used. The term is loosely thrown around and what one may consider to be affluent in one part of the U.S. may not be considered affluent to another person. Take for example someone living in San Francisco, which has a very high cost of living versus someone living somewhere in the South, where it is generally cheaper to live, but you still have some affluent folks down there. I also don't think that you can lump all folks in Sheepshead Bay into a category of being simply middle class. You have to think of some of the folks that live in Sheepshead Bay and some them that move here from abroad do have cash to burn. They could be considered upper middle class. I still think that that median income stat that checkmate gave is too low.

They're based on a random sample, so there is the chance that, by chance they happen to pick lower-income people every year.

Either that, or the very wealthy people have multiple residences, and they don't list Sheepshead Bay as their primary place of residence.

Still, I've never considered Sheepshead Bay to be an affluent area. When I lived in Brighton Beach, the affluent area was Manhattan Beach (and there is also a street called Corbin Place, though now that I think about it, it was just some nice townhouses on that street). Sheepshead Bay was never considered affluent.

The funny thing is that, according to that map, neither of those places has really high incomes. The area around Corbin Place has a median income of $26,000, and the waterfront of Manhattan Beach has a median income of $63,000. Maybe those households have maids who live with them, and that brings down the median income.

It is not just used overseas. It is used here as well, as was pointed out by Jazumah. A person can be affluent and middle class. Sometimes they're referred to as upper middle class, but sometimes that distinction is not made because in the end upper middle class and middle class is still middle class and it is understood that there are different "levels" of the middle class. Also, it is not about how much money you make, but how much money you spend and what your expenses are. There are people earning 100 - 200k a year and they would considered "middle class" or perhaps "upper middle class" depending on where they are in the U.S., but they are barely making it because they're expenses are so high. It sounds insane but I've seen it a lot of financial shows like Suzie Orman. Meanwhile you can have another person making 80k a year with very low expenses such as no rent or mortage because their job pays for their apartment, and so while they earn 80k a year they have more disposable income than the person making 100 - 200k a year.

But then wouldn't that mean that there are even fewer upper middle class people in that area, since the cost of living in NYC is high?

They're based on a random sample, so there is the chance that, by chance they happen to pick lower-income people every year.

Either that, or the very wealthy people have multiple residences, and they don't list Sheepshead Bay as their primary place of residence.

Still, I've never considered Sheepshead Bay to be an affluent area. When I lived in Brighton Beach, the affluent area was Manhattan Beach (and there is also a street called Corbin Place, though now that I think about it, it was just some nice townhouses on that street). Sheepshead Bay was never considered affluent.

The funny thing is that, according to that map, neither of those places has really high incomes. The area around Corbin Place has a median income of $26,000, and the waterfront of Manhattan Beach has a median income of $63,000. Maybe those households have maids who live with them, and that brings down the median income.

But then wouldn't that mean that there are even fewer upper middle class people in that area, since the cost of living in NYC is high?

Yeah, I've always considered Manhattan Beach to be affluent as well. I don't know, but I had family in Sheepshead Bay and my aunt earned around 100k a year or more as a consultant and then her husband earned about 80k a year or so, not necessarily "typical" middle class IMO. I also grew up in Sheepshead Bay and have many friends from there and they had two parent households that certainly earned more the 50 - 55k year a piece, so that's why IMO I feel that Sheepshead Bay has parts of it that is indeed affluent, and if not that then at least upscale. Now I do know that there are some crummy parts too, but as you go towards Emmons and go along Bedford Avenue and towards Brighton Beach and up further north, I always found nice tree lined streets, clean sidewalks and well kept blocks overall. Maybe it isn't as upscale as Manhattan Beach, but I certainly never thought of it as just "middle class".

In your last comment, what area are you referring to??

The funny thing about Manhattan Beach though is that folks would say that those big houses were big with nothing in them. lol

Yeah, I've always considered Manhattan Beach to be affluent as well. I don't know, but I had family in Sheepshead Bay and my aunt earned around 100k a year or more as a consultant and then her husband earned about 80k a year or so, not necessarily "typical" middle class IMO. I also grew up in Sheepshead Bay and have many friends from there and they had two parent households that certainly earned more the 50 - 55k year a piece, so that's why IMO I feel that Sheepshead Bay has parts of it that is indeed affluent, and if not that then at least upscale. Now I do know that there are some crummy parts too, but as you go towards Emmons and go along Bedford Avenue and towards Brighton Beach and up further north, I always found nice tree lined streets, clean sidewalks and well kept blocks overall. Maybe it isn't as upscale as Manhattan Beach, but I certainly never thought of it as just "middle class".

In your last comment, what area are you referring to??

The funny thing about Manhattan Beach though is that folks would say that those big houses were big with nothing in them. lol

My family has a friend that lives in Manhattan Beach, a few blocks east of West End Avenue, and somehow she is able to afford to live there on a teachers' salary (without a second person bringing in any income), but you're right: I would generally consider Manhattan Beach to be affluent.

I guess some of the things bringing down the incomes are single people who are just starting a job. Since it is median household income that is being measured, a household with 2 working parents will earn twice as much as a household with 1 single person, and there are a decent number of singles and seniors living in Sheepshead Bay.

When I said "area", I was referring to Sheepshead Bay, but that statement could apply to a lot of areas in NYC: $50,000 per year income would work just fine down in Texas, but it won't get you as much here in NYC.

My family has a friend that lives in Manhattan Beach, a few blocks east of West End Avenue, and somehow she is able to afford to live there on a teachers' salary (without a second person bringing in any income), but you're right: I would generally consider Manhattan Beach to be affluent.

I guess some of the things bringing down the incomes are single people who are just starting a job. Since it is median household income that is being measured, a household with 2 working parents will earn twice as much as a household with 1 single person, and there are a decent number of singles and seniors living in Sheepshead Bay.

When I said "area", I was referring to Sheepshead Bay, but that statement could apply to a lot of areas in NYC: $50,000 per year income would work just fine down in Texas, but it won't get you as much here in NYC.

I went to IS 43 there on Emmons and Shore Blvd and I had an friend who lived in Manhattan Beach. His dad was in the military so they moved around a lot, but that was a nice little charming house they had off of Oriental Blvd. They had those old style wooden floors, but it was a mix of old and new but everything was kept nicely. Speaking of Sheepshead Bay and Manhattan Beach, did you ever witness the bay flooding?? LOL That happened a few times when I went to IS 43. That's why I enjoy waiting for the BM3 there sometimes. I have such great memories as a kid waiting for the B4 on the other side of Shore Blvd with the winds gusting and freezing in the winter. :cool:

The B64 flip flop was completely ridiculous and yes, it should be restored fully. :tup: Like I said, I'm doing a little at a time, so we have to wait and see how this X27/X28 thing goes first as that has some steam behind it. The B2 and B31 restoration is just talk.

First things first: Bring back the X37 and X38, not this X27B crap.

First things first: Bring back the X37 and X38, not this X27B crap.

Hehe... The big boys [X37/X38] are coming back very soon in July I believe. :cool: Now we're fighting for weekend service to be restored. I was on Facebook and the Senator who is leading the way to fight for the service to be restored posted some news and I was amazed at how many folks are talking about getting the X27 and X28 back on the weekends. One guy wrote "Marty-[if] the x-28 on weekends goes thru-you will be blessed with x-tra youth..;) thanks for all the recent changes come this summer regarding the MTA." :cool:

Just out of curiosity, what are your definitions of poor, rich, and middle class? And if somebody doesn't fall into the category of being rich, poor or middle class, what category do they fall into? Upper/lower-middle class?

the poor guy doesn't have a lawn, a window, or the handle of the pot to take a piss in...

(holey dunkin donuts cup, faded 1986 mets jacket, 8-tone pair of jeans, and a stench of eau-whatdefu*k, sold separately...)

the middle class guy has a lawn; some will trim it themselves... some will let it grow to 6" to 1' high weeds, then wait til winter when it dies itself out... summer time comes again; rinse, wash, repeat....

the rich guy has a lawn, and hires illegals to mow it for him !

Of course, there's different levels of each, but I don't feel like gettin into subcategories right now... And yes, I do believe there exists an upper middle/lower middle class.... but when people start talkin that upper-upper middle class, or that lower-upper middle class BS, that's where I gotta throw the penalty flag... it's kinda like, the compass; after NE, SE, NW, SW, what use does the common man have for directions referred to as being of the NNE, or SSW?

esp. lower upper middle class... wtf is that ?!?!?!

that's like askin for an extra medium shirt ("friday after next" reference there)

the poor guy doesn't have a lawn, a window, or the handle of the pot to take a piss in...

(holey dunkin donuts cup, faded 1986 mets jacket, 8-tone pair of jeans, and a stench of eau-whatdefu*k, sold separately...)

the middle class guy has a lawn; some will trim it themselves... some will let it grow to 6" to 1' high weeds, then wait til winter when it dies itself out... summer time comes again; rinse, wash, repeat....

the rich guy has a lawn, and hires illegals to mow it for him !

Of course, there's different levels of each, but I don't feel like gettin into subcategories right now... And yes, I do believe there exists an upper middle/lower middle class.... but when people start talkin that upper-upper middle class, or that lower-upper middle class BS, that's where I gotta throw the penalty flag... it's kinda like, the compass; after NE, SE, NW, SW, what use does the common man have for directions referred to as being of the NNE, or SSW?

esp. lower upper middle class... wtf is that ?!?!?!

that's like askin for an extra medium shirt ("friday after next" reference there)

I never knew that there were so many "Landscaping" companies until I came to Staten Island. We certainly don't have a shortage here and very few people actually mow their lawns now in my neighborhood. This morning on my way to the express bus, I was shocked to see that a guy a few blocks over from me is actually using Mexicans to mow his lawn. Before he would do it himself.

Hehe... The big boys [X37/X38] are coming back very soon in July I believe. :cool: Now we're fighting for weekend service to be restored. I was on Facebook and the Senator who is leading the way to fight for the service to be restored posted some news and I was amazed at how many folks are talking about getting the X27 and X28 back on the weekends. One guy wrote "Marty-[if] the x-28 on weekends goes thru-you will be blessed with x-tra youth..:P thanks for all the recent changes come this summer regarding the MTA." :cool:

Again feel free to do this. I already let know my takes (i.e restore Saturday Only X27/28, (B4) service to Sheapshead Bay station and Knapp St, etc.) so best of luck.

Garbaldi has never answered the question on why Sunday X27/28 is needed when gas prices are going through the roof. Thus running 'empty' X27/28 on Sundays when hardly any one was using them.

Again feel free to do this. I already let know my takes (i.e restore Saturday Only X27/28, (B4) service to Sheapshead Bay station and Knapp St, etc.) so best of luck.

Garbaldi has never answered the question on why Sunday X27/28 is needed when gas prices are going through the roof. Thus running 'empty' X27/28 on Sundays when hardly any one was using them.

lol... Thanks for giving me "permission", but I sort of made up my mind sometime ago. Anywho, I forgot to post this, but Senator Golden's office did write back to me about the B4. The Director of Community Affairs thinks that the portion of Emmons Avenue that the B4 served is not in their district, but she will get back to me next week. :cool:

Regarding the X27/X28 Sunday service, I gave some reasons as to why in the service is needed in earlier posts, but one reason why is because during holiday service when folks have to work during the week and the schedule falls on "weekend service", there is no service on the X27 and X28, thus leaving folks stranded. I have had to work on "optional days" in my office to finish projects and such like President's Day, where there is no weekday express bus service and the express bus service provided is ridiculous on Staten Island because it is on a weekend schedule and everyone from all of the other lines that normally run pack on to the X10 or X1, so I can imagine how insane it must be with no X27 or X28 service. The last few years I've elected to just work from home or take off so I don't have to deal with that. In sum, the (MTA) is encouraging folks to use mass transit and they should be doing the same in this case and restoring full service on the X27 and X28. You make it sound as if they don't get a deal on the gas that they pay for. They buy in bulk so while they do feel the pinch, they don't feel it nearly as much as the folks who drive do and they buses they run are very fuel efficient including the MCIs.

But the question is how many people go in on those optional days. I doubt it is near the amount going to work on a regular weekday.

Since ridership (or potential ridership) is too low for regular weekday service, but too high for weekend service, maybe they could run a holiday schedule. Rather than the X10 running every 30 minutes, maybe it could run every 15 minutes, and there could be limited bus service on some high ridership routes that run rush hours only (X12, X15, X22, etc).

But the question is how many people go in on those optional days. I doubt it is near the amount going to work on a regular weekday.

Since ridership (or potential ridership) is too low for regular weekday service, but too high for weekend service, maybe they could run a holiday schedule. Rather than the X10 running every 30 minutes, maybe it could run every 15 minutes, and there could be limited bus service on some high ridership routes that run rush hours only (X12, X15, X22, etc).

They should do what NJT does and write a special holiday schedule for weekday only routes, especially express, for MLK Day, President's Day, Columbus Day, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve.

They should do what NJT does and write a special holiday schedule for weekday only routes, especially express, for MLK Day, President's Day, Columbus Day, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve.

Problem solved so great idea Amtrak and Checkmate:tup:. Instead of asking for Sunday service, folks like State Sen. Golden and Garibaldi should ask for that option (ie. Saturday and Weekday Holiday schedule.) I think the (MTA) will be more likely to run that schedule then full 365 day a year service.

That is what for instance the local buses here in Dutchess County Loop, and Ulster County (UCAT)does for minor holidays like those mentioned above by Amtrak7. They don't run up here on Sundays and major holidays. While on days such as President's Day, Columbus Day, etc they run on a reduced special weekday schedule.

Again I used to live in Southern Brooklyn and not meant to be a 'hard ass.'

I would rather use the money for say creating a route between Stillwell-Coney island and Kings Plaza/Mill Basin or restoring the "B51" than running Sunday X27/28 service.

I used to use X27/28 during the Stillwell/Manhattan Bridge construction so I know what I am talking about.

That's what they should do, but we're talking about the (MTA). On Columbus or Veteran's Day they do run on a weekday schedule, but a modified one. The problem is they don't say what they modified schedule is. I mean this is what irritates me with them. Why is it so difficult for them to provide simple information like this?? It is just poor planning at its finest. :mad:

Regarding the other holidays, they could just increase the frequencies of the X1, X10 and X17 AND POST IT.

Problem solved so great idea Amtrak and Checkmate:tup:. Instead of asking for Sunday service, folks like State Sen. Golden and Garibaldi should ask for that option (ie. Saturday and Weekday Holiday schedule.) I think the (MTA) will be more likely to run that schedule then full 365 day a year service.

That is what for instance the local buses here in Dutchess County Loop, and Ulster County (UCAT)does for minor holidays like those mentioned above by Amtrak7. They don't run up here on Sundays and major holidays. While on days such as President's Day, Columbus Day, etc they run on a reduced special weekday schedule.

I would rather use the money for say creating a route between Stillwell-Coney island and Kings Plaza/Mill Basin or restoring the "B51" than running Sunday X27/28 service.

I used to use X27/28 during the Stillwell/Manhattan Bridge construction so I know what I am talking about.

No, we need full restoration of the X27 and X28. I would be willing to cut back the frequencies as a compromise, but I doubt Senator Golden will go for that. Residents in those areas want full restoration on both lines and if I lived in Bay Ridge, which I was close to happening when I was checking out a place on Shore Rd and 92nd st, I would want the same thing. I would not be up for taking the (B16) to the (R) to the (N) and that's assuming that there is no construction detours. The express bus in Southern Brooklyn is just as a necessity as it is in Staten Island. Staten Islanders make three connections or more if they don't use the express bus, and the same thing holds true for folks along Shore Road, especially in the 90s.

To those of you who have contacted me to sign the petition, many thanks!! :cool:

That's what they should do, but we're talking about the (MTA). On Columbus or Veteran's Day they do run on a weekday schedule, but a modified one. The problem is they don't say what they modified schedule is. I mean this is what irritates me with them. Why is it so difficult for them to provide simple information like this?? It is just poor planning at its finest. :mad:

Regarding the other holidays, they could just increase the frequencies of the X1, X10 and X17 AND POST IT.

No, we need full restoration of the X27 and X28. I would be willing to cut back the frequencies as a compromise, but I doubt Senator Golden will go for that. Residents in those areas want full restoration on both lines and if I lived in Bay Ridge, which I was close to happening when I was checking out a place on Shore Rd and 92nd st, I would want the same thing. I would not be up for taking the (B16) to the (R) to the (N) and that's assuming that there is no construction detours. The express bus in Southern Brooklyn is just as a necessity as it is in Staten Island. Staten Islanders make three connections or more if they don't use the express bus, and the same thing holds true for folks along Shore Road, especially in the 90s.

To those of you who have contacted me to sign the petition, many thanks!! :cool:

You're right: It would cost almost nothing to add a holiday schedule (with the extra service) to the regular schedule. They're already running the extra service: Like you said, it could mean the difference between somebody going to work (and giving them an extra $11 in revenue) or not.

As far as the X27 and X28 go, express bus service is nowhere near as much of a necessity as in Staten Island. A 5 minute bus ride (or car service if they really don't want to wait for the B4 or B16), and then a short train ride to an express train is nothing compared to a 30 minute bus ride, a 30 minute ferry ride, and then whatever time is spent on the subway in Manhattan.

You're right: It would cost almost nothing to add a holiday schedule (with the extra service) to the regular schedule. They're already running the extra service: Like you said, it could mean the difference between somebody going to work (and giving them an extra $11 in revenue) or not.

As far as the X27 and X28 go, express bus service is nowhere near as much of a necessity as in Staten Island. A 5 minute bus ride (or car service if they really don't want to wait for the B4 or B16), and then a short train ride to an express train is nothing compared to a 30 minute bus ride, a 30 minute ferry ride, and then whatever time is spent on the subway in Manhattan.

I totally disagree, especially since I've used that set up to get from Bay Ridge. The B16 does not run with the (R) and the (R) does not run with the (N). That B16 can take a good 20 minutes to get to 86th and 4th depending on how long you have wait for it and then the trip to the station. Then the wait for the (R) can be a good 15 minutes or more and then you have to transfer to the (N), so it is still a pretty long wait and that's assuming that no other connections are needed.

ya mean dutchess loop and UCAT ucat improved over the years and dutchess is all smoke and mirrors they suck hardcore

That's all fine and well, but the X27/X28 serves areas of Southern Brooklyn that are more isolated and thus need the service because the alternatives are extremely slow, not ADA accessible nor safe for seniors and simply not reliable. How you could call for the restoration of the B51 is beyond me when there are far more alternatives for the B51. Anywho, we're continuing with our petition to get the service back fully restored. Those of you who asked to have the petition sent to you, please get it back to me completed ASAP and let anyone else who wants to sign it do so as well and then I can sign it and get it back to Senator Golden's office. Thanks again! :cool:

Archived