Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Blitz

The reason for the success of the RTS?

I'm not saying that this is the #1 reason that the RTS has been the gold standard for transit buses in America, I'm just saying that this might have opened the door...

It was just ahead of its time, but it also had its share of underlying problems at the very beginning

The reason for it's success was the fact the RTS had accessability for wheelchairs the "Rusty" Fishbowls had no use as more wheelchair and walker passangers came aboard. The MCI Classic saw a little use as a select few (The Last Model Of MCI Classic) had wheelchair accessability. The fact was the RTS 4 came to the (MTA) as the first wheelchair bus then the Orion V followed suit then another thing was bus companys such as Command, Queens Surface, and Green Buses saw that if they needed to keep their companys running to a enviorment friendly state they would need some new buses such as the Orion V, RTS, RTS CNG, and the MCI Classic wheelchair version.

RTS, The Newlook (Fishbowl) and the Classic were they best 3 high floor buses of all times

best buses of all time period. All high floor buses, in my eye, will be better than all low floor buses...and the Orion V has to be at least 1B as best of all time with the RTS. They're just as durable as the RTS so u get pretty much the same service life out of both. I highly doubt you can run these low floor buses for 20 or so years like u can with the OV and the RTS (even though they shut them down after 15-17 years)

best buses of all time period. All high floor buses, in my eye, will be better than all low floor buses...and the Orion V has to be at least 1B as best of all time with the RTS. They're just as durable as the RTS so u get pretty much the same service life out of both. I highly doubt you can run these low floor buses for 20 or so years like u can with the OV and the RTS (even though they shut them down after 15-17 years)

I agree with this opinion.

I know, but I really don't like the low floor concept too much... It doesn't work too well in a city where buses are prone to being crush loaded. The room just isn't there, and we lose space for accessibility...

on top of that 1) low floors ride worse than high floors in my experience and 2) nobody ever wants to move upstairs to the back

It was just ahead of its time, but it also had its share of underlying problems at the very beginning

To add---while the Fishbowl went quietly in the USA, Canadian agencies weren't exactly happy on that---hence why the Classic came about.

On the USA side however, the RTS was a module-built bus, from which the length could be varied easily. That said, why are there no module-built buses today?

I would have liked to see the RTS-III (an articulated version) go into production.

As for low-floors, they do handle standees well. The problem with the LFS in particular is its short wheelbase (the O7 and Xcelsior/LF have wheelbases comparable to high floors).

I'm not saying that this is the #1 reason that the RTS has been the gold standard for transit buses in America, I'm just saying that this might have opened the door...

Quality and durability are two of the main reasons why the RTS is the staple of American transit. They have outlasted virtually every bus model made to date.

And yes, the Flxible disaster definitely fueled the sales and reputation of the bus.

Yup except the Fishbowl became a rustbowl. MCI Classic was old and RTS was to IDK.

Are you crazy? the Fishbowl has held up just as good as an RTS in terms of service life. and the Classic is just a new body on a fishbowl chassis

The Orion V was the best Orion bus tired with the Orion I

Are you crazy? the Fishbowl has held up just as good as an RTS in terms of service life. and the Classic is just a new body on a fishbowl chassis

He won't be responding to that for the next couple of days.

The Orion V was the best Orion bus tired with the Orion I

I agree, and it would have been nice if the TA ordered some the newer ones before they were discontinued.