Public Meetings on Port Richmond Transit Access Improvements, and Bus Improvements in Jamaica

This might be interesting to attend. I probably won't be able to go, but if anybody goes, let us know what was on the agenda.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/05/08/public-meeting-on-port-richmond-transit-access-improvements/

Here is the link for Jamaica: http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/index.jsp#selectedEvent

CSI, PS 58, Markham I.S., or the SI Hotel {if it were open:(} would also be good places to host the S.I. Port Richmond Transit Meeting.

Port Richmond H.S. would be the most appropriate, especially given its view of the Bayonne Bridge, & literally being in Port Richmond.

I hope whoever can go GOES:) I intend to go, unless something comes up making it so I can't attend:(

Ay yay yay.... I really don't see why Port Richmond gets so much damn transportation! :mad: Back in the day I could understand, but today it makes no sense. Port Richmond is a dead neighborhood compared to what it was back in the day and if it wasn't for the Mexicans opening up busineses along Port Richmond Avenue, the neighborhood, would be dead. With that said, I can understand some local buses going there, but there is no need for all of those express AND local buses to terminate there, Castleton Depot or not.

CSI, PS 58, Markham I.S., or the SI Hotel {if it were open:(} would also be good places to host the S.I. Port Richmond Transit Meeting.

Port Richmond H.S. would be the most appropriate, especially given its view of the Bayonne Bridge, & literally being in Port Richmond.

I hope whoever can go GOES:) I intend to go, unless something comes up making it so I can't attend:(

I don't know about P.S 58 or CSI, since they're hard to access by public transportation for many Port Richmond residents (then again, a lot of the people who attend these types of meetings don't live in the neighborhood)

Ay yay yay.... I really don't see why Port Richmond gets so much damn transportation! :mad: Back in the day I could understand, but today it makes no sense. Port Richmond is a dead neighborhood compared to what it was back in the day and if it wasn't for the Mexicans opening up busineses along Port Richmond Avenue, the neighborhood, would be dead. With that said, I can understand some local buses going there, but there is no need for all of those express AND local buses to terminate there, Castleton Depot or not.

Our system on SI is based on an old network of trolley cars, many of which terminated at a ferry terminal in Port Richmond (connecting Port Richmond to Bayonne). Since the ferry was closed, they haven't really updated the system to reflect that (except for rerouting the S44 to serve the SI Mall). Of course, the North Shore Rail Line was another integral part of that transportation hub that was closed.

As of now, I think the terminal at Port Richmond Avenue/Richmond Terrace is an appropriate terminal, even though there is nothing for the buses to feed into. The S57 and S66 serve Westerleigh, and there is no other real place where they could terminate. The S59 makes sense terminating there because it makes sense to have a Richmond Avenue/Port Richmond Avenue through-route.

The only one that could be rerouted out of the neighborhood would be the S53, but there is no other place where it could be rerouted to: Richmond Terrace/North Burgher Avenue is in the middle of nowhere, and if it switched terminals with the S40 or S46 and ended in Mariners' Harbor, it would still serve Port Richmond (not to mention that the S53 does get a decent number of riders in Port Richmond).

As far as Port Richmond being "dead", I wouldn't really say that. There are a lot of businesses in the vicinity of Port Richmond Avenue/Castleton Avenue, and even without the businesses, there is still enough ridership in the are to justify having a lot of transit in the area.

I don't know about P.S 58 or CSI, since they're hard to access by public transportation for many Port Richmond residents (then again, a lot of the people who attend these types of meetings don't live in the neighborhood)

Our system on SI is based on an old network of trolley cars, many of which terminated at a ferry terminal in Port Richmond (connecting Port Richmond to Bayonne). Since the ferry was closed, they haven't really updated the system to reflect that (except for rerouting the S44 to serve the SI Mall). Of course, the North Shore Rail Line was another integral part of that transportation hub that was closed.

As of now, I think the terminal at Port Richmond Avenue/Richmond Terrace is an appropriate terminal, even though there is nothing for the buses to feed into. The S57 and S66 serve Westerleigh, and there is no other real place where they could terminate. The S59 makes sense terminating there because it makes sense to have a Richmond Avenue/Port Richmond Avenue through-route.

The only one that could be rerouted out of the neighborhood would be the S53, but there is no other place where it could be rerouted to: Richmond Terrace/North Burgher Avenue is in the middle of nowhere, and if it switched terminals with the S40 or S46 and ended in Mariners' Harbor, it would still serve Port Richmond (not to mention that the S53 does get a decent number of riders in Port Richmond).

As far as Port Richmond being "dead", I wouldn't really say that. There are a lot of businesses in the vicinity of Port Richmond Avenue/Castleton Avenue, and even without the businesses, there is still enough ridership in the are to justify having a lot of transit in the area.

That may be true, but the lines should be readjusted to the way in which the island has changed. Port Richmond was a major transit hub years ago, but as you said, the problem is these lines don't feed into anything.

HEADS UP! HEADS UP!

TONIGHT's the Port Richmond Transit Meeting in St. George. All who can go GO by all means & contribute your input. I'm not sure if I can make it or not:( I would LOVE and WANT to go, & contribute my & other's input into the meeting.

:tup: to all those who can definitely go and DO go:cool:

Unfortunately, I couldn't go.

If anybody has any comments or things like that, the contact information is available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/contactdot/assist.shtml

You can contact the Staten Island Borough Commissioner:

Borough Commissioner Tom Cocola

(212) 839-2400

10 Richmond Terrace, Room 300

Staten Island, NY 10301

You can also email the Citywide Commissioner (Janette Sadik-Khan) at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maildot.html

There are also more events listed here: http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/index.jsp#selectedEvent

Some interesting ones are an East New York Transit Access Improvements and proposals to operate commuter van service in Queens and Brooklyn (I wonder if they were 2 of the 5 routes that were replaced by van service for a few months)

Unfortunately, I couldn't go.

If anybody has any comments or things like that, the contact information is available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/contactdot/assist.shtml

You can contact the Staten Island Borough Commissioner:

Borough Commissioner Tom Cocola

(212) 839-2400

10 Richmond Terrace, Room 300

Staten Island, NY 10301

You can also email the Citywide Commissioner (Janette Sadik-Khan) at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maildot.html

There are also more events listed here: http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/index.jsp#selectedEvent

Some interesting ones are an East New York Transit Access Improvements and proposals to operate commuter van service in Queens and Brooklyn (I wonder if they were 2 of the 5 routes that were replaced by van service for a few months)

There were the Van Wars back in the 80s on Staten Island. SI's commuter van operators lost that war with, to the MTA|NYCT.

There were the Van Wars back in the 80s on Staten Island. The commuter van operators lost that war with the MTA|NYCT.

That's interesting, but that aren't too many routes that are attractive for a van operator to operate on SI. Whch routes were they trying to run vans on? Were they routes like the S46, S48, and S53?

I don't even know what could be done in Jamaica, it's just a big glob of buses 24/7.

IDK if theres enough open space to put a multi level terminal near 165th Street. Where the Home Depot is now wouldve been nice........

Archived