Trolleys back in New York?

Via Garibaldi 8

Having seen how popular trolleys are in parts of Europe such as Rome and Milan for starters, I was wondering what sort of support they would get here in the city for re-starting them in certain areas? I heard a while back that Red Hook wanted them since they only have one bus line connecting them to the subway and was doing a study to see the feasibility in them and I do recall the old trolley car tracks in certain areas of Brooklyn. Thoughts?

Having seen how popular trolleys are in parts of Europe such as Rome and Milan for starters, I was wondering what sort of support they would get here in the city for re-starting them in certain areas? I heard a while back that Red Hook wanted them since they only have one bus line connecting them to the subway and was doing a study to see the feasibility in them and I do recall the old trolley car tracks in certain areas of Brooklyn. Thoughts?

:cool::tup:

Trolleys would be great to have back in NYC & area. SI for one could benefit from streetcar routes.

Nawlinz, SF & other U.S. cities still have them.

Also Community Board representating Red Hook also planning to bring back trolley.

I think Trolley buses should also run in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and Queens.

When I took ride on trolley bus in Flushing Meadow park, children were looking at it.

Also, wouldn't they be cheaper than constructing new subways??

Smh at the people that think trolleys can replace a subway. In reality it replaces buses, even though trolleys require a big down payment in which you later make your money back by not having to buy diesel and such. Now for buses, their cheap but you never know what the price of diesel will be say a year from now compared to electric which tends to be cheaper and a small amount goes a long way compared to under 10 MPG.

Beside trolley trains, trolley buses are popular too.

Also Community Board representating Red Hook also planning to bring back trolley.

I think Trolley buses should also run in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and Queens.

When I took ride on trolley bus in Flushing Meadow park, children were looking at it.

Heh, trolleys are more efficient though. Technically, those "trolley" buses are just regular buses, but decorated....

Trackless trolleys on the other hand would be good, like at SEPTA:

SEPTA_NFI_834.jpg

But bringing back trolleys would be great and beneficial for the outer boroughs of NYC, as well as light rail lines. It can do alot of good in terms of easing congestion in busy corridors and bring development that is seen all over across the country (wake up and smell the coffee folks, look across the river at the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail). The areas of Eastern Queens that are not serviced by the subway will be the best candidates for a trolley/light rail line.

Heh, trolleys are more efficient though. Technically, those "trolley" buses are just regular buses, but decorated....

Trackless trolleys on the other hand would be good, like at SEPTA:

SEPTA_NFI_834.jpg

But bringing back trolleys would be great and beneficial for the outer boroughs of NYC, as well as light rail lines. It can do alot of good in terms of easing congestion in busy corridors and bring development that is seen all over across the country (wake up and smell the coffee folks, look across the river at the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail). The areas of Eastern Queens that are not serviced by the subway will be the best candidates for a trolley/light rail line.

In case you haven't noticed, the real reason light rail is fine in NJ is because no one lives there compared to even half of Queens. Light rail would also be way too slow and weak to handle crowds...

I love how when a out of towner, who normally rides trolleys, brings up that trolley service should be brought back in New York, everyone laughs at the thought, but when a New Yorker who probably never rode a trolley a day in their life, everyone is all "yea," "i like this," "sure why not"....

In case you haven't noticed, the real reason light rail is fine in NJ is because no one lives there compared to even half of Queens. Light rail would also be way too slow and weak to handle crowds...

Light rail slow? Have you ridden the 101/102 lines in Philly? Slow my arse!

In case you haven't noticed, the real reason light rail is fine in NJ is because no one lives there compared to even half of Queens.
Not entirely true. Granted, most of the HBLR system when it was being built some areas were not exactly busy and sparkling, but there are also parts of the system where it runs through areas that were quite busy already.

It's all about smart planning, development and construction. It can work.

Light rail would also be way too slow and weak to handle crowds...

Not true. When it comes to speed, it depends on how the line was set up, and there's two ways, a smart way or a dumb way.

A light rail train can handle heavy crowds easily.

Well, I will admit it's something... different to talk about....

Our (as in, NYC) roads are already in terrible shape.... to the point where, if you take a walk in parts of Brooklyn Hgts., DUMBO, Red Hook (as you said), out there in Sunset park (around 1st/2nd av's), you can still see the remnants of (portions of) said trackage.... Not sure if you'd want to dig the streets up to uncover those (old) tracks, or place entirely new trackage in different areas, in order to have trolleys running about in NYC....

The trolley buses however, I do think, should replace the double-decker buses... What I always notice w/ them things is that.... If the weather's nice, everyone's sittin on the top deck - and NOBODY is sittin on the bottom deck..... and vice versa if it's raining out & what not.... God help you if you're behind one of those things as you & it are making the same turn; it's no different than waiting for an 18 wheeler to turn; not an RTS, an orion (5, 7), whatever, an artic, or an MCI turns slower than those double-decker buses.... Those things have been detrimental to (already worsening) traffic in Manhattan.... Throw trolley buses (the single-decked ones, I mean); some'n like those in the pics Yuki posted on those tourist-friendly routes & be done w/ it....

Here's my idea.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004a32ae56627a324c1f&ll=40.761627,-73.854776&spn=0.140167,0.325985&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004a32ae56627a324c1f&ll=40.761627,-73.854776&spn=0.140167,0.325985&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Trolley Loop Idea</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

Here's my idea.

A MILLION NOS!!!!! I mean really to start off you start small and stay in one area then you expand into the next. As for tunnels and bridges you should stay off highways with such equipment due to the wires UNLESS it was on its own ROW in a sense bus lanes with private on and off ramps.

Now as for me id start in Manhattan since most, well some have bus lanes and those can be converted and have rail laid. Also Manhattan has a grid system which, along with a spoke n hub system, are easy to convert instead of routes all over the place.

A MILLION NOS!!!!! I mean really to start off you start small and stay in one area then you expand into the next. As for tunnels and bridges you should stay off highways with such equipment due to the wires UNLESS it was on its own ROW in a sense bus lanes with private on and off ramps.

Now as for me id start in Manhattan since most, well some have bus lanes and those can be converted and have rail laid. Also Manhattan has a grid system which, along with a spoke n hub system, are easy to convert instead of routes all over the place.

I meant trolley buses.

Trackless trollies are a dying breed in the US. There is a reason why New Flyer is the only company that offers them. Not only that, but it will NEVER happen in NYC.

If we had more power lines above ground, then maybe it could happen. Those things are also horrible in the winter.

Archived