App of the Week: RailBandit

RailBandit.jpg

(MTA) - You don't need to have an iPhone, or even an Android to use this week's App of the Week, RailBandit. This app gives users easy-to-navigate information about train schedules for 30 rail services across the country, including the Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad and Staten Island Railway. It's available on a host of devices: Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPod Touch, and even any Java-enabled cellphone manufactured within the last two to three years. NYC Subway Trip Planner, a companion app with information about the Subway, is available for BlackBerry.

RailBandit offers train schedules, maps, and trip planning capability. The app works if you are offline, but if you are traveling aboard a train above ground and your phone has GPS, RailBandit can track your progress as you travel and match it against the train schedule to tell you if your train is running on time.

The multi-agency app integrates schedule information from the 30 agencies it covers into one place, allowing users to plan trips that involve transfers between trains operated by different agencies. For example, to travel from Princeton, N.J., to Oyster Bay, Long Island, RailBandit will consolidate schedule information from the Long Island Rail Road and NJ Transit into one trip plan and list the transfer times at Penn Station.

Find out more here.

we need an app for railfans to tell you what stations are good for pictures, as in they have space at the end of the platform, and which stations to avoid cuz of extra security, if I knew how to write programs for iphones I would make it.

we need an app for railfans to tell you what stations are good for pictures, as in they have space at the end of the platform, and which stations to avoid cuz of extra security, if I knew how to write programs for iphones I would make it.

Why make an app for that, just go out and take a look around. That's kinda what's fun about taking photos. As for the security thing, that sounds like something that someone who is up to no good would love. If everything your doing is on the level, what do you have to worry about?

Why make an app for that, just go out and take a look around. That's kinda what's fun about taking photos. As for the security thing, that sounds like something that someone who is up to no good would love. If everything your doing is on the level, what do you have to worry about?

cuz they don't consider photography as 'on the level', especially now

I have never had a problem taken photos... I don't know what everyone else is doing "wrong"

I always thought you had like special connections or something with the MTA, like how you were able to get photos on the closed off side of 4th Ave station.

I have never had a problem taken photos... I don't know what everyone else is doing "wrong"

Everybody else just has a camera. That's enough to provoke police. One even called me a terrorist. Are they that stupid? Would I be doing terrorist activities right in their FACES? Sometimes they need to use that atrophied body part called the brain.

I never had any problems taking pics either, and I have been to TA's all over the US, and 4 other countries as well. I think it's when you look nervous, suspicious, or out of place that one would attract attention.

I always thought you had like special connections or something with the MTA, like how you were able to get photos on the closed off side of 4th Ave station.

All the connections in the world don't help with the day to day photos I take.

I never had any problems taking pics either, and I have been to TA's all over the US, and 4 other countries as well. I think it's when you look nervous, suspicious, or out of place that one would attract attention.

That's the thing, people bitch about how it's 100% legal yet they always talk about "well if you take the shot real fast" or "just wait until there is no one around." The hell with that, take the photo like a man and don't try and hide. If you act all sneaky about it, then the cop has every right to bust your balls because your suspicious. I don't take photos in a car with people only because I don't know how every person will react to someone taking their photo. Otherwise, just do it and don't make a whole production of it.

Archived