Official MTA Video : 7 Line Extension Project Update 5/4/11

This money could be better used to build a station at 10th and 41st, or extending the 7 line further into Queens.....

Extending the 7 past where it ends at Flushing would be a very difficult and "ridiculously expensive" project sadly...

Any underground subway expansion is "ridiculously expensive," but in NYC, many of them are sorely needed. That's certainly the case here. Main Street-Flushing is a madhouse during rush hours due to the huge crowds coming off the many bus routes that feed the (7) there. In the afternoons and evenings, those same buses are packed leaving Main. It can't continue to be this way.

How about closing the underground Flushing Main Street station, and have the elevated tracks from Mets Willet Point extended to the current Flushing station, and beyond to Bayside. Elevated Lines are certainly cheaper, and once again could be designed to be a pretty good looking viaduct.

Guest lance25

@T to Dyre Avenue: Unfortunately, the people who control the (MTA)'s capital budget see any expansion as such: "if it isn't in Manhattan, it isn't necessary."

As for the negative comments, I agree with them. At 34th & 11th, there's nothing there besides the Javits Center. Sure, they are building apartments or something that will be finished eventually, but at 41st & 10th, a location where a station would be useful now, there is, and never will there be, a station. It's much easier to build a station when there's a shell in place; sure it's possible (59 St express platforms, Lexington Avenue), but not as feasible.

How about closing the underground Flushing Main Street station, and have the elevated tracks from Mets Willet Point extended to the current Flushing station, and beyond to Bayside. Elevated Lines are certainly cheaper, and once again could be designed to be a pretty good looking viaduct.

Elevated lines into Main Street and Roosevelt Ave, I believe is a terrible idea. There is a considerable amount of traffic there as it is and having an elevated would totally disrupt the already bad traffic flow in Flushing. My personal opinion as I commute there in the morning via car.

Guest lance25

@Vitrauss: That was just Bloomberg talking out of his ass as usual when the ARC Tunnel project fell though (for reasons I wholeheartedly agree with). There was never any real talk from the (MTA) or the US Department of Transportation about said expansion of the Flushing line.

Archived