Why did AM General leave the business?

traildriver

Whatever happenned to AM General? I recall their 10240 model seemed popular in the mid to late '70's, and then they gave up the business.

Was the bus that bad? I know NYC never bought any, but other places seemed to like them...

If you go to the web site of the current AM General, they have a corporate history section, but the bus manufacturing is conspicuously absent from any mention. Wikipedia has a brief paragraph on them.

Whatever happenned to AM General? I recall their 10240 model seemed popular in the mid to late '70's, and then they gave up the business.

Was the bus that bad? I know NYC never bought any, but other places seemed to like them...

If you go to the web site of the current AM General, they have a corporate history section, but the bus manufacturing is conspicuously absent from any mention. Wikipedia has a brief paragraph on them.

http://www.omot.org/roster/buses/amg.html

Thanks much for that most informative link.

If you look at the present company's site, you'd think that they would rather the world forget about that important part of their history, as they refuse to acknowledge its existance.

• 1 month later...
Interestingly enough, the last management team at AM General bus unit were the ones who bought Flxible from Grumman in the early 1980's.

And then misappropriated money until the entire GAC consortium and Flxible itself went bankrupt.

Archived