Question about C.I (G)

Calvin

Well the R46s were available already on the (G). Why wasn't that just sent to CI?

Probably b\c they didn't want them to run on the (Q)(:P so they might send them to Jamaica for 160's which MAY make the (N) 160's again which will result 68/A's moving to the (G).

Rumor mills say some of the (F)/JYD R-160's may end up in CIY and (R) and (F) will be a mix of R-160's and R-46's, but still a rumor. Reason CIY don't want R-46'ses is because they already have enough fleets to manage, not because they can't manage em'. R-46'ses is an extra layer of burden.

That Would Be More Smarter, The (F) and (R) shares Equipment Anyways (R160's) so Yeah That would be better, it will same time and money and they should have done this in the first place. As for the R46's going to CI why not, CI has been taking care of those R46's from Jamaica for years as well, so they wouldn't be a problem for CI

That Would Be More Smarter, The (F) and (R) shares Equipment Anyways (R160's) so Yeah That would be better, it will same time and money and they should have done this in the first place. As for the R46's going to CI why not, CI has been taking care of those R46's from Jamaica for years as well, so they wouldn't be a problem for CI

CI has enough cars to handle,they maintain 4 fleets of subway cars.also,the (F) should remain as it is with it's R160's.

The reason they put r68s on the g line is because they needed the r46s on the c line for the summer since the ac's on the 32s break down so often. Also they are using the 46s because the 44s are being stripped for parts.

The reason they put r68s on the g line is because they needed the r46s on the c line for the summer since the ac's on the 32s break down so often.

It seems that they always consider A/C to be a top priority, even though it is not an essential train component. Why do they make such a big deal about air conditioning (or the lack of it) anyway?

It seems that they always consider A/C to be a top priority, even though it is not an essential train component. Why do they make such a big deal about air conditioning (or the lack of it) anyway?

Maybe they dont want people passing out on a hot ass train. Plus they probably dont want the media on their back.

If you have that equipment on property already, why not take advantage of it. That's like saying whether to roll out a redbird with busted A/Cs versus a 62A on the (7). (MTA) would try their best to send out the 62A.

Plus, it gives (MTA) great public relations that a high percentage of their trains out in the system are fully air conditioned. Plus the general population (NOT RAILFANS) prefer the newer trains.

Maybe they dont want people passing out on a hot ass train. Plus they probably dont want the media on their back.

Yup, I'm sure we all remember the (E) fiasco a few years ago when R32s had to be swapped for R46s for at least a day. This of course leading to R32s being sent back to the (C) for the R40M/42s.

Even though I don't care (unlike the rest of you's) what equipment runs whereas I have to operate it anyway, for sake of simplicity and yard management I never figured out why this didn't happen...

For the (G) to get 68 and (C) to get 46...

Take the (R) 160s, they go to the (N) (which would roughly be 100% 160 again which makes things go smoother at Astoria)...

Take the (N) 68A, they go to the (B)...

Take some 68 from the (;) (same yard as the (G) now) and put those on the (G)...

Take those 46 from the (G) and they go to make service on the (C) and (R) (which would become 100% 46 again.

Not completely sure if the math works out but it would be close.

Guest lance25

Contrary to what some people believe, the underground tunnels can get quite hot in the summer time, especially with all the motors and HVACs.

Why don't you go ride an (E) train with no air conditioning on a 100 degree summer day and you'll see why they consider A/C a top priority. After minute 15 you'll be begging for that A/C back B)

Even though I don't care (unlike the rest of you's) what equipment runs whereas I have to operate it anyway, for sake of simplicity and yard management I never figured out why this didn't happen...

For the (G) to get 68 and (C) to get 46...

Take the (R) 160s, they go to the (N) (which would roughly be 100% 160 again which makes things go smoother at Astoria)...

Take the (N) 68A, they go to the (B)...

Take some 68 from the (;) (same yard as the (G) now) and put those on the (G)...

Take those 46 from the (G) and they go to make service on the (C) and (R) (which would become 100% 46 again.

Not completely sure if the math works out but it would be close.

They could just put the 160's on the (G) and skip all of that other shifting.

But in either case, i don't see where the (G) would free up enough 46s for the (C). Is anyone sure this change is being done for the (C)?

Guest lance25

I concur. At best, only six consists of R46s are freed for the (C), assuming all 52 cars go to 207th Street, which we know is impossible seeing as a few R160s are going to Coney Island to replace the R68s.

They could just put the 160's on the (G) and skip all of that other shifting.

But in either case, i don't see where the (G) would free up enough 46s for the (C). Is anyone sure this change is being done for the (C)?

It was confirmed by the number 1 tss.

They could just put the 160's on the G and skip all of that other shifting.

But in either case, i don't see where the G would free up enough 46s for the C. Is anyone sure this change is being done for the C?

There will NOT be any changes on the (C). No R46s from Jamaica are going to 207th Street. The (G)'s cars will be transferred to the (F) and (R), making the former mostly R160s with a few R46s and the latter entirely R46s. IDK where cdi919 got this info. 207th Street has tons of extra R46s and R32s that can be used in case some of the R32s' air-conditioning crap out again. I thought NYCT fixed their air-conditioning problems when R44s entered the C temporarily last summer, which was the warmest in NYC history. They cannot keep taking the R32s out of service every summer.

R riders might be a little disappointed to see the few R160As running there disappear. Whenever I see an R160A R pull up to a station, riders on the platform go from miserable to happy instantly like those on the train.

What i know in C.I Yard the G is there now but with R68s. Im wondering why the G has to use R68s but no R68As?

The (G) will be ASSIGNED R68s only, but R68As may run if needed. Being "Assigned" a certain car type is not the same as "running" one. This applies to the current assignments for the (N). It is only assigned R160Bs and R68As, but R160A-2s and more rarely, R68s have ran there from time to time since June 2010. Apparently, railfans do not get the difference because people have been constantly saying on the R68 article on Wikipedia that they are assigned to the G. They are not as of yet. The other hard working editors and I are sick of constantly reverting unsourced additions to that article. Even my blunt attack on the discussion page did not help.

I have noticed you always ask the most nonsensical questions on this site (and some other members agree). Many of the threads you started get locked because they are either redundant or cause flame wars, like here: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=426071#post426071

To answer your question, all Coney Island R160A-2s are assigned to the (Q), but because of the looseness of car assignments, they run on the (N). This does not mean the same number of R160A-2s will always run on that line.

That Would Be More Smarter, The F and R shares Equipment Anyways (R160's) so Yeah That would be better, it will same time and money and they should have done this in the first place. As for the R46's going to CI why not, CI has been taking care of those R46's from Jamaica for years as well, so they wouldn't be a problem for CI

None of the Coney Island lines ((:), (N), (Q)) would look good with R46s. Besides, they cannot run on the Brighton Line and I doubt Sea Beach riders would like them. They love the R160s, having demanded them after the N ranked worst in the State of the Subways Report Card for three straight years, and will be furious if they are taking away. Look how great that line's performance has improved with those cars.

If you have that equipment on property already, why not take advantage of it. That's like saying whether to roll out a redbird with busted A/Cs versus a 62A on the 7. The MTA would try their best to send out the 62A.

Plus, it gives the MTA great public relations that a high percentage of their trains out in the system are fully air conditioned. Plus the general population (NOT RAILFANS) prefer the newer trains.

Thank you for the second part of your post. It is so true, but sadly, idiot railfans do not seem to get the message, bashing the new, awesome cars and crying like babies when the old, lousy cars get retired. Like it or not, every subway car has to go and the SMEEs' time has come. That is life; deal with it. We came in the worst generation possible. If we were born 10 years earlier or 10 years after, we would not have so much flame wars about subway cars here. It seems that railfans hate things that riders and MTA workers love (i.e. automated announcements, electronic strip maps and signs, and roomy cabs, the last of which takes away the railfan window).

You were right on the first part too. That is why the R33S WF cars did not run during the summer months until the late 1990s. I remember my sister attending summer school in Flushing in 1997 and when our family rode on the (7) train home, I wondered why it was only using 10 cars when I previously saw 11 every time I visited my cousin in Elmhurst. When I went back to Flushing the following Fall, trains were back to using 11 cars. However, in the summer of 2002 and 2003, the line was using 11 car trains like it normally does. I believe the high number of people going to the US Open and events at Shea Stadium forced NYCT to run 11-car trains there year round, in additional to the arrival of the R62As there.

So does that mean the R160's on the G are going to be ABBA.

The (G) will NOT use R160s. Even if there is a G.O. that requires it to be full length (i.e. replacing the (F) along the Culver Line), it will probably use the (B)'s R68As.

I don't think that the CIY will put their r160s on the G. If they do, they will probabley be a full 10 car set.

NYCT could run R160s on the G in an ABBBA arrangement (remember, a train of four 75 foot cars is equal in length to one of five 60 foot cars), but I highly doubt that will happen.

Well the R46s were available already on the G. Why wasn't that just sent to CI?

From what I heard, (G) riders hated the R46s because those assigned to that line were among the worst performing cars in the system. The G had the lowest breakdown rate of all lines in the past few State of the Subways Report Card. Jamaica severly neglected that line's cars. Hopefully, the sleeker, newer looking R68s will provide a better trip for riders, although based on my experience on the (B), these fat girls are not doing as great as they used to. In fact, a study Curtis posted on Facebook showed that the performances of the R62s on the (3), R142s on the (5), R32s on the (C), R68s on the (D), R143s on the (L), and R46s on the (R) have all severely deteriorated in the past year.

CI has enough cars to handle,they maintain 4 fleets of subway cars.also,the F should remain as it is with it's R160's.

Not to mention Coney Island also maintains museum cars and those stored out of service. I have seen plenty of R32s and R44s sitting there doing nothing for the past few months. Recently, though, their doors and windows have been removed, so it looks they are going to the scrapyard. Looks like NYCT no longer plans on reefing old subway cars. The Atlantic coast already has over 2000 NYC Subway cars being used as artificial reefs. It does not need anymore.

Yup, I'm sure we all remember the E fiasco a few years ago when R32s had to be swapped for R46s for at least a day. This of course leading to R32s being sent back to the C for the R40M/42s.

The reason R32s had to go back to the (C) was the positioning problems caused by location of the conductors on the R40/40M/42s. Instead of the 4-4 position like on the R32s and R38s (right in the middle of the train), they had to use the 5-3 position since the R40/R40M/42s only had conductor controls on the #2 end. This in turn caused trains to stop all the way on the front of the platform with a 120 foot space in the rear due to the location of the conductor boards. Riders got hurt running for the train by falling and tripping and whatever, so NYCT had to put the R32s and R38s from the (E) and (A), respectively, here and send the R40M/42s to the former and R40s to the latter.

The R46s briefly appeared on the E in the summer of 2008, but they were quickly pulled off in favor of the R42s, which had more doors on each side, relieving crowding at 53rd Street, from ENY following the arrival of the R160A-1s. Unfortunately, this caused that line to suffer the biggest downgrade in NYCS history (going from sleek and shiny to rusted and ugly in less than a month) and its riders suffered with rusted tin cans for six months until the line became exclusively R160s in July 2009.

If the R40/40M/42s were able to run on the C, all remaining R32s would have ran on the E and only the E up until their planned retirement in Fall 2009. Since the R32s are the only cars able to run on the C following the retirement of the R38s, their retirement was pushed back one year until all 1662 R160s were in service. However, we now get to enjoy the powerful performances for a few more years following the early retirement of the ugly fatty R44s.

Yes, nothing else on the F than R160 or newer please.

Culver residents agree. They love the R160s and hated the R46s for the same reason Brighton riders hate the R68/68As now (they are overweight slowpokes) even though they were the signature for the (F) since their debut in 1976. Of course, a few fatsos will have to go back there depending on how many R160s are transferred to Coney Island to make the (N) entirely those again (I believe it uses around the same amount of R68A trains as the total number of trains on the (G)). I am sure they will not mind, though, since it will be just a few sets. The R46s will definitely not go on the (E) due to crowding problems caused by the reduced number of doors.

There will NOT be any changes on the (C). No R46s from Jamaica are going to 207th Street.
So then you're saying it's not because of the A/C problems as reported?

The (G)'s cars will be transferred to the (F) and (R), making the former mostly R160s with a few R46s and the latter entirely R46s. IDK where cdi919 got this info. 207th Street has tons of extra R46s and R32s that can be used in case some of the R32s' air-conditioning crap out again.

What's the point of doing this, then? Why would they put that many (you said mostly) 46's back on the (F)?

He means (F) will still be mostly R160s with some R46s and the (R) at least 99% if not 100% R46s.

As for his dislike about the R46s, I dunno why. Just his generalizations. He shouldn't be speaking for everyone.

=

I have noticed you always ask the most nonsensical questions on this site (and some other members agree). Many of the threads you started get locked because they are either redundant or cause flame wars, like here: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=426071#post426071

iawtp

Archived