MTA Bus no cost service change ideas

GreatOne2k

No cost due to MTA reimbursement, some plans could even increase profits for the MTA and decrease losses for NYC.

BxM4 - Extended to Yonkers Avenue*

Weekdays - BxM4 will run straight down Central (Park) Avenue, to Jerome Avenue, skipping Woodlawn Heights.

BxM4A designation returns running via the current Woodlawn Heights routing.

Weekends - BxM4 will run from Yonkers, turn on McLean Avenue, then continue down Woodlawn Heights into current BxM4 routing combining the two routes.

E 158 St(S/:P/E 161 St(N/:P stops are now open door stops in both directions to accommodate those going to/from Yankee Stadium and the courthouses.

BxM7A - City Island trips will be renamed back to BxM7B, a few more rush hour City Island trips added.

BxM7B - Trips will run via the BxM7A route until Jarvis Av/Country Club Rd, then stay on Bruckner Blvd (skipping Crosby Avenue stop) stopping at Pelham Bay Park, then run to City Island, speeding up trip times. Route will also have special summer weekend service to/from City Island to increase ridership and tourism.

BxM18 - Extended to/from Getty Square via Riverdale Avenue (run offs, put ins to/from Yonkers Depot maximize revenue and profit by picking up some Yonkers passengers instead of deadheading)

Q50 - late evening service headways decreased from 60 minutes to 30 minutes. Whitestone Cinemas stop added to increase ridership and accessibility.

*BxM4 extension can wait until after BxM4C is discontinued.

My replies.

No cost due to MTA reimbursement, some plans could even increase profits for the MTA and decrease losses for NYC.

Weekdays - BxM4 will run straight down Central (Park) Avenue, to Jerome Avenue, skipping Woodlawn Heights.

Weekends - BxM4 will run from Yonkers, turn on McLean Avenue, then continue down Woodlawn Heights into current BxM4 routing combining the two routes.

E 158 St(S/:P/E 161 St(N/:P stops are now open door stops in both directions to accommodate those going to/from Yankee Stadium and the courthouses.

Generally I agree 100% with this. With Yonkers Raceway having a huge comeback with the "Empire City" there is currently no full time 7 day a week 1-seat bus or MNRR train ride from Midtown to this growing location in popularity. On the Route 4c run by Bee Line I think it will stay as a peak hour service.

BxM7A - City Island trips will be renamed back to BxM7B, a few more rush hour City Island trips added.

I agree with couple of more BXM7a trips extended to/from City Island. However not enough ridership to warrant a super express between City Island and Midtown. Rode on the '7b' a few weeks before it's merger with the '7a'

last June.

There was only 10 riders on a Friday Evening riding the '7b.' If anything the '7a' should merge with the Coop City BXM7 branch on all trips non-rush hours.

BxM7B - Trips will run via the BxM7A route until Jarvis Av/Country Club Rd, then stay on Bruckner Blvd (skipping Crosby Avenue stop) stopping at Pelham Bay Park, then run to City Island, speeding up trip times. Route will also have special summer weekend service to/from City Island to increase ridership and tourism.

Again not enough ridership. Riders from Manhattan using the express buses can use the current '7a' Pelham Bay Branch and transfer to the BX29.

BxM18 - Extended to/from Getty Square via Riverdale Avenue (run offs, put ins to/from Yonkers Depot maximize revenue and profit by picking up some Yonkers passengers instead of deadheading)

Agree 100%. Plus provides for first time an express bus along Riverdale Ave in Southern Yonkers.

Q50 - late evening service headways decreased from 60 minutes to 30 minutes. Whitestone Cinemas stop added to increase ridership and accessibility.

Agree. At least for Friday/Saturday Nights.

The BXM4 could be extended to Empire City/Yonkers Raceway right now regardless of what happens to Beeline BXM4c.

BxM7B would not be a super express, it would be the same as the BxM7A, except the Crosby stop would be skipped to keep it on Bruckner. Someone said they one did this before have the BxM7B make some extra stops staying on Bruckner when NYBS had the route. That would be better than having City island residents have an extra 17 minutes added onto their trip.

BxM7B on summer weekends would just take service away from the BxM7A (Crosby would lose half of summer weekend daytime service and have 60 minute headways all day). When overall service drops to 60 minutes the City Island extension can end.

BxM7 is too busy to be combined with the BxM7A, Co Op City riders wouldn't like going through Crosby.

Maybe Rob Astorino could try and push for the BxM4 idea so the BxM4C can cut even more costs becoming rush hours only.

BxM7B would not be a super express, it would be the same as the BxM7A, except the Crosby stop would be skipped to keep it on Bruckner. Someone said they one did this before have the BxM7B make some extra stops staying on Bruckner when NYBS had the route. That would be better than having City island residents have an extra 17 minutes added onto their trip.

BxM7B on summer weekends would just take service away from the BxM7A (Crosby would lose half of summer weekend daytime service and have 60 minute headways all day). When overall service drops to 60 minutes the City Island extension can end.

BxM7 is too busy to be combined with the BxM7A, Co Op City riders wouldn't like going through Crosby.

Maybe Rob Astorino could try and push for the BxM4 idea so the BxM4C can cut even more costs becoming rush hours only.

Hey the X1 is busier and yet it can take as much as 45 minutes before it's leaves SI via the Verrzano Bridge using the busy Hylan Coordior. Bruckner is not that bad on most times during non-rush hours.

The Trade off is that the BXM7 could end up becoming a 24/7 route. Plus the Merger of the BXM7 Coop/Pelham Bay route would be on weekday evenings and all times on weekends.

Wait a minute... You mean to tell me that the BXM4 stops by Yankees' Stadium?? And here I was schlepping on the friggin' subway a few years back when Yankees Stadium opened instead of going there in style on the express bus. Granted my friend who invited me to some expensive seats down by right field drove me back to the express bus but still. I would've preferred the express bus going there. Well now I know... :cool:

Wait a minute... You mean to tell me that the BXM4 stops by Yankees' Stadium?? And here I was schlepping on the friggin' subway a few years back when Yankees Stadium open instead of going there in style on the express bus. Granted my friend who invited me to some expensive seats down by right field drove me back to the express bus but still. I would've preferred the express bus going there. Well now I know... :cool:

However some BXM4 riders further up i.e Woodlawn and Norwood the line have complained for years going back prior to the (MTA) takeover that the bus should not stop at YS area or even use Grand Concourse.

Wait a minute... You mean to tell me that the BXM4 stops by Yankees' Stadium?? And here I was schlepping on the friggin' subway a few years back when Yankees Stadium open instead of going there in style on the express bus. Granted my friend who invited me to some expensive seats down by right field drove me back to the express bus but still. I would've preferred the express bus going there. Well now I know... :cool:

Anyone else you know that goes to Yankee Stadium who normally uses the express bus should probably be told about this, since they paid 5.50 already, might as well get a free transfer to another express bus instead of transferring to/from a crowded subway (if they don't mind waiting up to 60 minutes during off peak).

Unless you like walking to the stadium, good luck with that.

Lmao!

You know what. I have to apologize for even saying anything to you about the lady on the bus the other day. After reading a few of your posts, It is quite evident that describing things in detail is just in your character!:P

Anyone else you know that goes to Yankee Stadium who normally uses the express bus should probably be told about this, since they paid 5.50 already, might as well get a free transfer to another express bus instead of transferring to/from a crowded subway (if they don't mind waiting up to 60 minutes during off peak).

Unless you like walking to the stadium, good luck with that.

Not really. Where does the express bus leave you in comparison to the subway? The (4) train was too packed so I wound up taking the (7) train over to the (D) train and even that wasn't a fun ride. I would've much preferred the express bus, especially since I have an unlimited card. It not the express bus then MetroNorth. The thing is I was invited to the game the day of with very little notice, so I didn't have time to plan the trip. :P

Lmao!

You know what. I have to apologize for even saying anything to you about the lady on the bus the other day. After reading a few of your posts, It is quite evident that describing things in detail is just in your character!:P

Well now you know... I'm sort of a perfectionist, so you'll notice that I'll fix typos and such if I catch them later on. I'll even write back to clients correcting typos, so yeah, describing things in detail is the way that I am. It's the libra in me. :cool:

Figures...Q50 is slowly been transitioned to a "Normal" Limited Stop route...Just like what happened to the B103....pretty soon there will be stops all up and down the Whitestone and The Bruckner.

Not really. Where does the express bus leave you in comparison to the subway? The (4) train was too packed so I wound up taking the (7) train over to the (D) train and even that wasn't a fun ride. I would've much preferred the express bus, especially since I have an unlimited card. It not the express bus then MetroNorth. The thing is I was invited to the game the day of with very little notice, so I didn't have time to plan the trip. :P

The Express bus leaves you on the Grand Concourse where the Bx1 and Bx2 buses stop at, three blocks east of the (4) train. First stop after entering the Bronx, just ring the bell and walk towards the elevated subway. Coming back the stop is on E 158 St & Grand Concourse.

Its not a long walk actually.....from Grand Concourse to River Avenue is about 2 blocks!

And there is a few extra blocks along Grand Concourse because the BxM4 stops nowhere at 161st, its a few blocks above and/or below.

According to schedule, they stop at 161st-158th Sts.

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm4cur.pdf

Everytime when I check out Bx34 bus stop at Fordham Rd on weekend, Bx34 riders are not happy.

One of friend of doorman's friend did not know Bee-Line BxM4C doesn't run on weekend and doorman thought it was Bronx bus because of code.

I agree with BxM4/A proposal.

Also during holiday season, BxM4 could extend to Cross County Shopping Mall.

Wait a minute... You mean to tell me that the BXM4 stops by Yankees' Stadium?? And here I was schlepping on the friggin' subway a few years back when Yankees Stadium opened instead of going there in style on the express bus. Granted my friend who invited me to some expensive seats down by right field drove me back to the express bus but still. I would've preferred the express bus going there. Well now I know... :cool:

it'd make you more of a target also....

I wouldn't wanna come off an express bus to get to YS.....

it'd make you more of a target also....

I wouldn't wanna come off an express bus to get to YS.....

Yeah, you make a good point. Besides I could see some of the folks on the (D) train... Looked shady as does the neighourhood. What helped us is that there was a big crowd going to the game, so no one f*cked with us because we sure were getting the looks. It's not like I'm going past 96th st on a regular basis, so I would probably be better taking MetroNorth next time. It does stop there right?

Yeah, you make a good point. Besides I could see some of the folks on the (D) train... Looked shady as does the neighourhood. What helped us is that there was a big crowd going to the game, so no one f*cked with us because we sure were getting the looks. It's not like I'm going past 96th st on a regular basis, so I would probably be better taking MetroNorth next time. It does stop there right?

There's a station stop at East 153rd Street for Metro-North on the Hudson Line.

Ways to make a change cost neutral:

-Shorten the net travel distance or net cycle time

-Shorten layovers

-Hooked trips/through-running/interlining

-Reduce frequencies

-Serve a sufficiently large ridership generator such that fare revenue covers the extension

-Reduced deadhead distance

-Avoiding traffic bottlenecks and problematic left turns

-Increase turnover (removing express portions)

Every plan must include enough of these elements to compromise for any expenses incurred through performing the inverse of these elements.

Yes, you could... and, it does....

....but IMO, that's just too much walking (from the platform) to get to the stadium grounds, itself... walking up flights of stairs, across that long overpass... that's the one thing I didn't like about the new Metro north station (the MNRR station is much closer to old YS)....

you would be rather, *safer* though....

If BxM4C sticks around, the routes would be labeled like before doomsday, except the BxM4A gets extended straight up to Yonkers (instead of going to Paul Avenue).

BxM4A - Yonkers Avenue

BxM4B - Woodlawn Heights

BxM4C - White Plains

If BxM4A ridership is strong enough, there will be no weekend combining of routes, the BxM4B (Woodlawn Heights) would run 7 days a week and might even have some runs extended to Yonkers if more service up there is needed.

The BxM4C could even skip Yonkers and a few other stops if the BxM4A and possibly the BxM4B co exists.

If BxM4C sticks around, the routes would be labeled like before doomsday, except the BxM4A gets extended straight up to Yonkers (instead of going to Paul Avenue).

BxM4A - Yonkers Avenue

BxM4B - Woodlawn Heights

BxM4C - White Plains

If BxM4A ridership is strong enough, there will be no weekend combining of routes, the BxM4B (Woodlawn Heights) would run 7 days a week and might even have some runs extended to Yonkers if more service up there is needed.

The BxM4C could even skip Yonkers and a few other stops if the BxM4A and possibly the BxM4B co exists.

First of all since the (MTA) takeover the Bee Line should have renamed the BXM4c.

Second about at least 50-60% of '4c' ridership (from my times riding it I am sure data will back it up) comes from all over Scardale and Yonkers and not just at border stops such as McClean Ave and Yonkers Ave.

Purpose is to provide at least rush hour service along Central Ave to/from Manhattan which is a few miles to either the Harlem or Hudson MNRR ines.

So basically you killing the route if the '4c' skipped Yonkers. Only a small share of riders use the '4c' *north of Tuchaoe Rd.

Also in being quiet frank, why 'bring back the BXM4a and 'b' schemes? Just call it the BXM4 and maybe 1-2 trips during the AM and PM rush hour it bypasses Norwood and travels to the Yonkers raceway area.

E 158 St(S/:P/E 161 St(N/:) stops are now open door stops in both directions to accommodate those going to/from Yankee Stadium and the courthouses.

NAH I disagree with BXM4 after BXM4C discontinued it's rerouted over bronx river parkway and bruckner expressway then goes to yonkers via woodlawn and gunhill road. After exiting at gunhill road it goes back on its original routing towards woodlawn then via nerid ave to central park ave. The bus goes to yonkers via yonkers ave. Service on grand concourse is inefficient slow and duplicative of faster cheaper alternatives. Heck rerouting it over the bronx river will make it faster and reduce operating costs. and former 4C riders do not want a ride that is LONGER than their previous bus which bypassed grand concourse for a reason. The 4 alone may have less ppl than 4C so it would be better if select trips go through woodlawn to keep 4c ppl happy plus a monthly to yonkers is $178 thats less than express card. So I doubt the 4 will be attractive vs metro-north

:tup:

However some BXM4 riders further up i.e Woodlawn and Norwood the line have complained for years going back prior to the (MTA) takeover that the bus should not stop at YS area or even use Grand Concourse.

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks this it should NOT EVEN USE grand concourse at all grand concourse does not warrent any express bus service at all as the D and 4 exist and at rush D is faster with crosstowns heck the BXM4 would gain ridership by bypassing YS and grand concourse and going on bruckner!!!!! my proposal will still serve norwood but kill the grand concourse segment completely making ppl very happy.

Archived