Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Why can't we New Yorkers have smooth roads like NJ??

So as usual on my shopping trip to New Jersey, I sat there on the express bus and noticed how smooth the roads are in New Jersey overall and how they go about repairing the roads to keep them in good shape. I can't recall hitting many potholes if any from the Port Authority all the way to the Garden State Plaza in Paramus. My question is why can't we New Yorkers have roads like New Jersey? :mad: Is it that New Jersey spends more money in their roadways than we do??

They spend all the money on keeping the roads in good condition, but can't be bothered to divide the Bayonne Bridge or even put lights up on a 50 mile stretch of the Garden State.

Here, our stuff is lit, but that means you get to see how bad some of the roads can get.

So as usual on my shopping trip to New Jersey, I sat there on the express bus and noticed how smooth the roads are in New Jersey overall and how they go about repairing the roads to keep them in good shape. I can't recall hitting many potholes if any from the Port Authority all the way to the Garden State Plaza in Paramus. My question is why can't we New Yorkers have roads like New Jersey? :mad: Is it that New Jersey spends more money in their roadways than we do??

The roads up here in the Hudson Valley are pretty nice. It's more a NYC thing with potholes.

NJ prides itself on keeping it's highways/roads in good shape.... NYC, doesn't... it's not all that high on the totem pole, so to speak... Then again, how can you attempt to keep our roads as smooth as they should be, w/o heavily interrupting traffic (and its patterns).... simply working on smoothing roads lane-by-lane is rather pointless in NYC; as opposed to working wonders out in NJ....

to give a (sort of) comparison, it's like the situation w/ trackwork with our subways; can't get anything done during the weekday, due the # of TPH.... which is why we can only get bits & pieces of anything done (system-wide) on the weekends... of course, at the mercy of riders having to undergo hellish commutes b/c certain lines stop running up to a certain point & what not.....

having commuters coming from (at least 2) other states on the daily doesn't help matters either....

or even put lights up on a 50 mile stretch of the Garden State.

...and got the nerve to want to widen the Garden State.

that's a good point you raise about the lighting, though... NYC has tons of lighting shining on its roads, regardless of how paved or jagged they are... NJ, keeps its roads in tip top shape, but doesn't have near as much overhead lighting.....

NJ prides itself on keeping it's highways/roads in good shape.... NYC, doesn't... it's not all that high on the totem pole, so to speak... Then again, how can you attempt to keep our roads as smooth as they should be, w/o heavily interrupting traffic (and its patterns).... simply working on smoothing roads lane-by-lane is rather pointless in NYC; as opposed to working wonders out in NJ....

to give a (sort of) comparison, it's like the situation w/ trackwork with our subways; can't get anything done during the weekday, due the # of TPH.... which is why we can only get bits & pieces of anything done (system-wide) on the weekends... of course, at the mercy of riders having to undergo hellish commutes b/c certain lines stop running up to a certain point & what not.....

having commuters coming from (at least 2) other states on the daily doesn't help matters either....

that's a good point you raise about the lighting, though... NYC has tons of lighting shining on its roads, regardless of how paved or jagged they are... NJ, keeps its roads in tip top shape, but doesn't have near as much overhead lighting.....

You two do have a point about the pitch black roads. Coming home on the 163 I was thinking how in the f*ck can these people see anything walking or driving when the damn sidewalks and streets are PITCH BLACK?? Are they trying to conserve energy or what??? I mean really, they can do better with the lighting than that. But I would like to hear from some NJ folks because I can't understand how in the world they can see anything when it is so dark out there.

Guest lance25

Two words: Con Edison.

Less street lights in NJ = Less money to electric companies. Street lights in NJ are more focused in urban and high populated areas which is actually good imo. You dont need street lights every few feet apart on every single road.

The reason highways in NJ dont have street light is because the areas that border highways dont want all of that light bothering them at night and they already have to deal with the noise. In NJ the lights on highways are more concentrated at major exits which makes sense.

NJ spends more time trying to keep roads pothole free and where ever you go in NJ you will always see a road getting redone somewhere @ some point.

Me being from NYC it was annoying at first and took me a long while to get used to it. When I lived in NYC I never knew how deep of a blue my headlights were until I moved here lol. The lack of street lights doesnt bother me as much anymore but at times it gets to me.

Long Island is pretty well lit as well untill you get out east to Suffolk, also the Gold Coast part of Nassau has very little streetlight

Just noticed that Suffolk County and NJ have similar horrible road layouts and lack of lighting. See NY Route 25A, which passes right behind the former Kings Park Psychiactric Center's infirmary...

Just noticed that Suffolk County and NJ have similar horrible road layouts and lack of lighting. See NY Route 25A, which passes right behind the former Kings Park Psychiactric Center's infirmary...

problem with suffolk is theres a lot of roads that should have been expressways but were never built as such, Route 110, Route 231, and Nichols Road should have been expressways like Route 135.

problem with suffolk is theres a lot of roads that should have been expressways but were never built as such, Route 110, Route 231, and Nichols Road should have been expressways like Route 135.

Hey Nicholas Rd a few years did bulid an overpass over Route 24 in the area thus you save as much as 10 minutes for those going to either SUNY Stony Brook or Pt Jefferson.

Hey Nicholas Rd a few years did bulid an overpass over Route 24 in the area thus you save as much as 10 minutes for those going to either SUNY Stony Brook or Pt Jefferson.

theres still the intersection with 347 that needs to be grade seperated

They originally planned to extend the Bethpage State Parkway up to the North Shore (that's why on a satellite map, there's a strip of land from Bethpage State Park right up north and why the LIE has no exit 47). They also wanted to extend 135 up to Rye.

110 should NOT be an expressway, Nichols Rd yes. NYC has a lot of traffic lights, but if you get caught at one it's not too long of a wait. Long Island has comparatively fewer lights, but if you're caught, you're waiting many minutes in some cases.

Whenever I drove to places like Wildwood or Atlantic City, I've felt that the toll roads I passed through were the reasons why Jersey roads were so good. I'd assumed that money would go towards the care for the roads and such. As much as I'm a city guy..every car I've driven would KILL for smooth roads that Jersey has, but some of their neighborhoods are too quiet for my liking.

Driving on Staten Island is like driving on the Moon & playing a drumset simultaneously. It's criminal the way SI's streets aren't maintained. Badda boom, badda bing describes driving on SI's roads perfectly. Driving on SI is like being punched in the face repeatedly for no reason.

They spend all the money on keeping the roads in good condition, but can't be bothered to divide the Bayonne Bridge or even put lights up on a 50 mile stretch of the Garden State.

Here, our stuff is lit, but that means you get to see how bad some of the roads can get.

Huh , the Bayonne Bridge is owned by the PA , the state has little say in that compared to the DOT. You mean in the Pine Barrens or Suburban Jersey , most of Urban parts of the Parkway are lit.

Light pollution and the need isn't really there , better road design is also factored into the lack of lighting....

Jersey actually fixes their roads, the city treats its highways and streets like an afterthought.

Hehe , you mean suburban roads or Rural roads , Urban Roads for now are just as bad as NYC.

Less street lights in NJ = Less money to electric companies. Street lights in NJ are more focused in urban and high populated areas which is actually good imo. You dont need street lights every few feet apart on every single road.

The reason highways in NJ dont have street light is because the areas that border highways dont want all of that light bothering them at night and they already have to deal with the noise. In NJ the lights on highways are more concentrated at major exits which makes sense.

NJ spends more time trying to keep roads pothole free and where ever you go in NJ you will always see a road getting redone somewhere @ some point.

Me being from NYC it was annoying at first and took me a long while to get used to it. When I lived in NYC I never knew how deep of a blue my headlights were until I moved here lol. The lack of street lights doesnt bother me as much anymore but at times it gets to me.

They usually place 2 lights per on or offramp.....

Actually alot of NJs roads were designed ahead of there time , if only the state kept that way alot of fallen behind the times.

Driving on Staten Island is like driving on the Moon & playing a drumset simultaneously. It's criminal the way SI's streets aren't maintained. Badda boom, badda bing describes driving on SI's roads perfectly. Driving on SI is like being punched in the face repeatedly for no reason.

Getting onto SI is dangerous and scary the narrow bridges and congestion...