Did the R62/R62A ever operate on the 5 or 2?

R62As did run on the (2) and (5). The (2) used them after September 11th when the (3) was cut back to Manhattan. The (5) had two sets of R62As which were borrowed from Westchester because the (5) ran OPTO at night and redbirds were not equipped for OPTO.

Several years ago I accidentally ran onto a Flatbush Ave. bound R-62 2 train at Franklin Avenue,thinking it was a 3 train. I wouldn't had known it was a 2 train if it wasn't for the announcement of the next stop and the rollsigns lol :P

Yes and Yes! Ive even riding on them!

I think they ran on the R62As becuz the ML R26-36 were under going retirement and for (S) service on the IRT Dyre.

R62As did run on the (2) and (5). The (2) used them after September 11th when the (3) was cut back to Manhattan. The (5) had two sets of R62As which were borrowed from Westchester because the (5) ran OPTO at night and redbirds were not equipped for OPTO.

The (2) also used them before 9/11. I can tell you that bro. Seen it.

Even though one end of the Dyre shuttle is a few blocks from my place of residence I never rode it because that area was so bad back in the day it was like one trying to railfan the (C) in BedStuy or (L) in Bushwick. I had no business in the area so unfortunately I only remember redbirds which ran during the day and the current R142. Even when I was a C/R some time back I rode in the non-operating cab to be safe late nights along that route (which still has no security or S/A in some of those stations).

The Summer of 1999 and/or 2000, the R62A <5> trains used to lay up at Brooklyn Bridge Yard for the PM Rush. They were awesome... I rode them a few times. It was a good look for the (5) Train. :cool:

I remember two R62A (5) trains. One from Pelham, and one from VCP which was seen in an above photo. The VCP set would run during rush hour and middays until the summer of 2001, possibly closer to 9/11.

I couldn't find an answer to this question nor a video and I'm curious, and if they didn't is there a reason why they didn't?

The (5) Ran them on random days along with the Redbirds until about 2001. The (2) it takes a miracle to find them the Redbirds "FLOODED" the 2 so that was rare but they ran on the 2 alot in the 80's due to the G.O.H. On the Redbirds plus the retirement of the R17,R21,R22 the 2 needed them.

Archived