Service distruption on the (R) this morning

LRG

(R) service was out this morning due to a police investigation at 59th Street...I caught an (R) at Fourth Avenue at 6:30 this morning but trains were turning at 36th Street and not continuing to 95th. Shuttle bus service replaced (R) service south of 36th Street. I saw a plethora of Gleason Orion 5s, 7s and C40LFs doing shuttle work, and even an LFS, bus no. 8032. (N) trains were rerouted along the (D) line between 36th and Stillwell in both directions. Service is now back to normal.

12-9 anyone?

(R) service was out this morning due to a police investigation at 59th Street..

Police, he did it. I swear B)

There was a man under at 59 St, according to one of my EMS peeps.

Did he survive?

they said he was walkin on the roadbed.........

NEW YORK -- Subway service on the R line in Brooklyn has been restored after a man was struck and killed by a train.

NYC Transit says the victim was walking on the tracks when he was hit at around 5:50 a.m. today at 59th Street and Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn.

As a result, N service operated on the D line and R service in Brooklyn was suspended until 7:32 a.m.

The victim's identity was not immediately available.

Personally, I don't think it was a 12/9 since I took the (R) to school this morning without any problems at 9am.

Yeah, that was 9:00. I was on the (R) train at 6:30 this morning. It wasn't until 8:00 when (R) service was fully restored.

they said he was walkin on the roadbed.........

NEW YORK -- Subway service on the R line in Brooklyn has been restored after a man was struck and killed by a train.

NYC Transit says the victim was walking on the tracks when he was hit at around 5:50 a.m. today at 59th Street and Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn.

As a result, N service operated on the D line and R service in Brooklyn was suspended until 7:32 a.m.

The victim's identity was not immediately available.

Ha, just what I thought...guy had no business being on the tracks.

To add on, my 6:55 S93 Limited this morning was dead empty...almost every seat was fulled but there were no standees like it is normally.

Nah It was out fully NY1 said. NY1 is a bunch of liars.

The hell are you talking about? Until 5:00 in the morning (R) trains don't run north of 36th Street and since the incident happened at 59th Street the best thing to do would be to knock out (R) shuttle service. Around the time (R) trains start being dispatched out Jamaica Yard in the morning to operate along the full route then the (R) could have been short-turned in Brooklyn as was the case this morning.

I was caught in this mess too. Couldn't believe the B/O made people swipe on the shuttle bus... But I only had to take it to Bay Ridge Avenue before the B/O was told (R) service was restored.

Sounds like you had a deutschebag B/O there B)

The hell are you talking about? Until 5:00 in the morning (R) trains don't run north of 36th Street and since the incident happened at 59th Street the best thing to do would be to knock out (R) shuttle service. Around the time (R) trains start being dispatched out Jamaica Yard in the morning to operate along the full route then the (R) could have been short-turned in Brooklyn as was the case this morning.

This happened at 6-7am EST. The (R) isn't a Shuttle at that moment. Duhhhhh. B)

I think he's right. I can't recall for sure because since I don't use the line, I didn't retain the info, but yeah NY1 reported it wrong either way.

Pretty much it would be a 12-9. The dude in the 4th post said... Anyone under a train is a 12-9 even if the person is not dead..

This happened at 6-7am EST. The (R) isn't a Shuttle at that moment. Duhhhhh. :)

Incorrect.. The (R) is still running as (S) till around 6:30AM (Excluding those already heading to Brooklyn).

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/trcur.pdf

This happened at 6-7am EST. The (R) isn't a Shuttle at that moment. Duhhhhh. :)

I know the (R) isn't a shuttle after 6:00...DUHHHHHHHHHHH!

I was caught in this mess too. Couldn't believe the B/O made people swipe on the shuttle bus... But I only had to take it to Bay Ridge Avenue before the B/O was told (R) service was restored.

Wow are you serious? Damn...what time did you take the bus? They issued block tickets at 36th Street but I went in at the back door of the bus.

Wow are you serious? Damn...what time did you take the bus? They issued block tickets at 36th Street but I went in at the back door of the bus.

I took the bus at 7:20. People who boarded in the front swiped. I just pulled the back door open since nobody was smart enough to do that. Besides, people don't step all the way back.

Turns out it was 20 year old graffiti artist who was killed while on the tracks- and cans of spray paint were found near him

From the Daily News-

"Subway graffiti artist, 20, struck and killed by Manhattan-bound (D) train; spray paint found by body

BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA

Cans of spray paint were found near the body of a 20-year-old graffiti artist who was struck and killed by a subway in Brooklyn early Monday, police said.

The man, whose name wasn't immediately released, was hit by a Manhattan-bound (D) train at the 59th St. station. Transit officials said the motorman tried to stop the train just after 5 a.m., but couldn't bring it to a halt in time.

Police withheld the man's name pending notification of his family. He was found in a tunnel. It wasn't immediately clear if the man had already vandalized the interior of the tunnel or was about to tag it.

Service was stalled during the early part of the morning rush. Trains were diverted to the (N) line."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/05/16/2011-05-16_subway_graffiti_artist_20_struck_and_killed_by_manhattanbound_d_train_spray_pain.html

Wait is there something wrong with that story? Why is the (D) at 59th Street?

Maybe it was the last (D) train to leave Stillwell Avenue before 5am. They were running via the (N) line.

Archived