RTS Bus Test & Evaluation Proposal

East New York

NYC Transit Forums Excusive!!

A team of the most capable individuals in the industry, have been assembled to continue the Legend of The RTS.

This highly skilled team is in the beginning stages of developing the one most rigorous bus testing programs in history.

The team would like to test the RTS Low Floor with a transit agency for a preset period of time, in order to validate the bus in a real world setting.

A key member involved has evaluated extensive criteria and data, and plans to create a The Advanced RTS Validation Program(ARVP).

The goal of this program is to work one-on-one with 5 transit agencies identified as key RTS veteran operators. These operators have been selected based on their past relationships, fleet maintainability, and geographical locations. They are seen as agencies that have shaped the way the RTS was built and enhanced over the years. It is only fitting that they be directly involved with development of the new bus.

It is hoped that all 5 agencies will participate in ARVP. These 5 agencies would essentially aid MTS in the in the engineering of the final configuration of the RTS low floor.

94 transit agencies were evaluated as potential testing partners.

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, it is my great pleasure to introduce the word to ARVP!

The 5 agencies evaluated for the program are.....

Long Beach Transit(LBT)

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority(MBTA)

(MTA) New York City Transit(NYCTA)

Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority(RIPTA)

Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation(SMART)

Once the plan is 100% complete and approved, agencies are expected to be notified of ARVP by proposal in 2012.

The proposal for the first agency selected is expected to be finalized by this fall. If all goes according to plan, this proposal will go to (MTA) Bus Operations for 90 Next Generation RTS T80-210 Extreme Low Floors.

The first RTS-10 (40 foot) prototype is currently at Altoona. This bus has already begun structural validation testing which is requited by the FTA. To date all has gone well as expected.

The bus structure, which is based completely off the high floor RTS coach has now been proven to be just as durable, if not more so than the high floor. The bus now needs to be transported to the MTS facility in Roswell, NM. Once there, the project will be able to move into full swing. The bus will then be made "transit ready." Components and systems will be fitted and tested. The bus will then be transported back to Altoona, where it will complete validation testing.

NYC Transit Forums is the only website on the internet where you will get exclusive breaking news on all things RTS. It is my great honor to be able to bring you all this history making news. Stay Tuned!

Enjoy!!!!:cool:

MTARTSExtreme2.jpg

RTS T42-210 42.5 foot Extreme Low Floor prototype

Source: Team Millennium

Awesome news, with the original C40LF coming back, this news, maybe Orion will bring back the Orion V? I doubt it but wishful thinking lol

RTS is my favorite bus model, got me into the hobby, this is awesome.

The 90 will go to MTA bus? Sounds like the replacements for the ex bees, and I guess some will go to LGA, that depot will give these buses a test, if they make it there they can make it anywhere lol. Their GMC elders lasted 20 years in that place. I mean FR, JFK, CP, SC don't need em, that would leave BP and LGA.

EDIT: I didn't see the photo, OMG, I'm foaming! Even more exitited to about this, feels good man.

This is very fascinating info, sir, I hope they consider making a high-floor variant (to really preserve the nature of the bus itself!)

The Next Generation RTS-09 "Legend" high floor will be available as soon as the company resumes full operations. It is essentially the same as the low floor. MTS has already delivered a half dozen next gen high floors. These buses have been in service for a full 5 years now, and are performing as an RTS should.

Awesome news, with the original C40LF coming back, this news, maybe Orion will bring back the Orion V? I doubt it but wishful thinking lol

RTS is my favorite bus model, got me into the hobby, this is awesome.

The 90 will go to MTA bus? Sounds like the replacements for the ex bees, and I guess some will go to LGA, that depot will give these buses a test, if they make it there they can make it anywhere lol. Their GMC elders lasted 20 years in that place. I mean FR, JFK, CP, SC don't need em, that would leave BP and LGA.

EDIT: I didn't see the photo, OMG, I'm foaming! Even more exitited to about this, feels good man.

The MTA BT&E program is for NYCT. MTA Bus Operations oversees NYCT, and MTAB collectively.

Pardon the derp, but that's Long Island's Long Beach, yes?

California

Those low-floor RTS' as well as that new front design look extremely ugly.

Lol! I totally agree. A redesigned front clip is being researched as of right now. The intention is to have a redesigned model by 2014. The rest of the bus will retain the signature RTS styling. The only difference other than the front end which is from the high floor WFD model, are the new lower side windows.

What I don't understand is what took them so long to think about low floor buses?? I mean I don't see tons of transit agencies buying the standard buses anymore. Seems like they are a bit behind to say the least.

NovaBus designed the RTS low floor, but they didn't invest in it. They were hoping to move RTS customers over to the LFS platform. Transit agencies however wanted a new RTS, and not an LFS. This led to the inevitable sale and subsequent bankruptcy of the RTS division. So yes, they are about 17 years late to be exact. Better late than never!

Yup I'm :) why because I'm B) ,Sure theres saliva rolling down my chin but for good reason;)....People have waited for the Orion NG and they also waited for the New FlyerXD - LFS as well but KR will count down the seconds for this Epic event......Now if ya smelllalllalll ...What the RTS ...is cooking:tup::tup::tup:

Unless you want another BBQ..

MillenniumToast.jpg

You can blame that on the hydraulic fan drive manufacturer. The new RTS WILL NOT have an option for that engine or fan drive anymore!

For those of you that don't know, the RTS in the pic is an Extreme Low Floor.

The Next Generation RTS-09 "Legend" high floor will be available as soon as the company resumes full operations. It is essentially the same as the low floor. MTS has already delivered a half dozen next gen high floors. These buses have been in service for a full 5 years now, and are performing as an RTS should.

I approve!

new bus, not in service yet and already burned?

This was years ago, with an power train package and components that will not be offered. That has absolutely nothing to do with MTS or the RTS.

Let's not make something out of nothing guys.

I love the RTSs. #1 out of all the buses out there.. (Maybe Ill buy 1 one day? lol) But that bus looks like the Ohios RTA RTS, whichs JUST UGLY!!

Stick with HIGH FLOOR and the same FRONT looks of the current NYCTA/NJT RTSs and I'm good!

Other then that, IM SOOOO HAPPY the RTSs are coming back!!!! MTS STYLE!

Wow, this is some crazy but exciting news! The RTS is the Golden Standard of Buses and to see that we are that much closer to seeing new RTS's on the road and in NYC no less, man this is super duper exciting!!!!! :) :cool: :tup: :tup: :tup:

I dont know if anyone remembers, but MTS was offering the HF RTS and had NJTransit test 2 of them which failed QC testing for NJT. The rear portion was redesigned to accommodate a standard T-drive and changed the weight distribution. this caused MTS to re-evaluate the whole operation. Im glad to see theyve recovered and are making an attempt at bringing the RTS back...in any form!

Now as far as the front, NovaBus began offering a Wide Front Door Model back in the 90's to allow a front door WC lift and provide bus operators with more room. The "traditional" front bulkhead we are accustomed to will probably never be available for the Extreme. As much as i love the RTS, as a HF, i doubt it will ever be as good with the new rear axel config. "if it aint broke, dont fix it". I do hope that the T-drive on the extreme will continue the legact of the greatest bus design ever. There are too many engineering factors with the RTS to NOT call it that!! Its been around since '78 for a reason!!!

The 5 agencies evaluated for the program are.....

Long Beach Transit(LBT)

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority(MBTA)

(MTA) New York City Transit(NYCTA)

Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority(RIPTA)

Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation(SMART)

I know for FACT that RIPTA wants more RTSs. The are not all that gung ho with the Gillig fleet but for their operation that's been the best option. They just took their 92 RTS-06s off the road and are keeping them as operational spares.....that's how badly they like the RTS. Their 98s and 00s right now have no current date of retirement but with this news from MTS, these might be the replacement buses.

The MBTA has been doing whatever it can to keep it's RTS running, you don't spend that kind of money unless the bus is doing something that the New Flyers and NABIs can't. I can see them as another big orderer of the -10 if it passes all the testing.

The (MTA) would be stupid to pass up a follow up order for the workhorse of the fleet. The RTS has proven itself on the streets of New York....look how long they've lasted. 8750 is 15-16 years old and kicks ass on the Bx23....other RTSs have lasted longer in the city. If that same ruggedness is there then I say bring them on!

Archived