RTS Bus Test & Evaluation Proposal

East New York

They need to put some of these on the m22. The route is overcrowded only on certain buses oddly. The buses that gets extremely crowded is the one that leaves Grand ST at 7:38/7:45 AM It is like so crowded that like 1/4 into the route it is like filled up crazy! You need to see it to believe it. It is so filled that it is illegal supposedly to the Federal Government, Not the B/O. Like he has to drive with the doors partially closed heck they need to testem here.

Well when I was younger and living by Catherine-Monroe ...All they had was RTS's on the M22 so for this bus to have any form of a RTS is a win

I am so done finished ....at the videos and Trevors pics ,I truly am Foaming out the mouth:tup:

I swear the last video with that slammin' sound bite had so much of a Old Triboro 2052 RTS CNG sound to it...why?? hey I loved it I was curious

Why have most buses been coming with top-mounted exhausts?

I've always wondered how exhaust systems keep stuff like rain and bus wash fluids from getting into the engine...

#1. it helps to lower engine compartment heat

#2. being that all buses are now fitted with DPF's and catalytic converters, theres really no space for the exhaust to be routed through the bottom without a whole lot of unnecessary space taking piping.

#3. It helps to keep most of those nice poisonous gases out of pedestrian breathing space.

If you take a look at most buses, the exhaust pipe is facing backwards and not straight up. and the exhaust gases coming from that pipe are blowing out so fast that nothing really gets in there. plus the fact that the pipe that you see coming out of the top of the buses comes directly off of the catalytic converter which gets extremely hot (about 1200 - 1400 degrees). what ever makes it past the blowing exhaust gases will almost instantaneously turn into steam. B)

It seemed like the transition back to roof mounted came with the advent of the DD50, and other new four stroke engines. They sere tail mounted with the old looks and early new looks, then became roof mounted (along the left edge of the rear window) in the middle of the new look period. With the RTS, they became tail mounted again, but with Grummans (at least the ones I noticed), there wasn't even a pipe; just a hole on the top of the roof over the rear panel. The Metro's were probably tail mounted.

So the mass move back to the roof was with the Series 50, including the repowered 8000' RTS, which originally had the tail mount.

I recently had a chance to review a "rough draft" proposal for MTA, and all I can say is this will be quite interesting!:cool: The final proposal for 90 low floor test buses may even be completed earlier than I expected! But that's just the tip of the iceburg! I can't wait to see how this all plays out!:P

I've been asked not to divulge any details at this time, but as soon as I can, I will be sure to post an update.

I recently had a chance to review a "rough draft" proposal for MTA, and all I can say is this will be quite interesting!:cool: The final proposal for 90 low floor test buses may even be completed earlier than I expected! But that's just the tip of the iceburg! I can't wait to see how this all plays out!:P

I've been asked not to divulge any details at this time, but as soon as I can, I will be sure to post an update.

thank you!:tup:B)

Cool stuff and thank you for the update! :tup:

Archived