Manhattan Beach Group asks for more summer beach service

BrooklynBus

Good article as always... :tup: Reading it got me to thinking about the B4 yet again. As I told you the other day, I exchanged e-mails with the Director of Community Affairs out of Senator Golden's office and since the B4 goes in and out of Senator Golden's district and briefly into Senator Kruger's district there on Emmons Avenue, I was told that she would discuss the B4 with the Senator this week and get back to me. If Golden can't help me, although I know he'll do his best to do so, then Senator Kruger has to get on the ball and get the B4 running down Emmons Avenue full time like before. The B4 could serve to take some of the pressure off of the B49 and get folks to and from the station. It is close enough that it could drop folks near Manhattan Beach and they could walk to the beach from there or get off in Brighton Beach even.

Good article as always... :tup: Reading it got me to thinking about the B4 yet again. As I told you the other day, I exchanged e-mails with the Director of Community Affairs out of Senator Golden's office and since the B4 goes in and out of Senator Golden's district and briefly into Senator Kruger's district there on Emmons Avenue, I was told that she would discuss the B4 with the Senator this week and get back to me. If Golden can't help me, although I know he'll do his best to do so, then Senator Kruger has to get on the ball and get the B4 running down Emmons Avenue full time like before. The B4 could serve to take some of the pressure off of the B49 and get folks to and from the station. It is close enough that it could drop folks near Manhattan Beach and they could walk to the beach from there or get off in Brighton Beach even.

I don't think the B4 would really help in Manhattan Beach. The closest it could get is by that footbridge crossing over Sheepshead Bay. Unless there is a real problem with the B49, everybody is going to just wait for the B49 (of course, as well all know, keeping that portion of the B4 is good for other reasons, though)

I don't think the B4 would really help in Manhattan Beach. The closest it could get is by that footbridge crossing over Sheepshead Bay. Unless there is a real problem with the B49, everybody is going to just wait for the B49 (of course, as well all know, keeping that portion of the B4 is good for other reasons, though)

That's because people are lazy, but it certainly could help. I used to walk quite a bit from my old junior high school there on Emmons and Shore Blvd down to Manhattan Beach. The walk is nothing quite frankly.

Before 1969, when the B49 used to terminate at Shore Blvd and Emmons, tons of people would get off in front of Lundys and walk over the footbridge to the beach. I did it all the time. No one wanted to pay the extra fare for the original B1.

Don't forget about the other elected officials. (Hopefully the B4 article will appear shortly.)

This may sound like a radical idea but what about like the BX5 and 12 extension to Orchard Beach, have a couple of (B68) buses extended to Manhattan Beach summer weekends only?

Also special B49's should run similar to rush hour service added service to Empire Blvd.

This to me appears to be a problem with dispatching. A dispatcher should be telling some drivers to leave Kingsborough empty and make their first stop at the beach bus stop. A similar dynamic would also work for the heaviest times at Kingsborough CC, so that customers down the line can get on a bus.

Don't forget about the other elected officials. (Hopefully the B4 article will appear shortly.)

Just heard back from Senator Golden's office. Since that portion of the B4 is outside of their districts they're going to just work on the buses within their district for now, which is understandable considering how many buses were affected in Golden's districts (B1, B2, B31, B37, X27, X28, B64, B70, etc.). My next plan to contact Senator Kruger's office about this. I'll keep you posted. :cool:

Just heard back from Senator Golden's office. Since that portion of the B4 is outside of their districts they're going to just work on the buses within their district for now, which is understandable considering how many buses were affected in Golden's districts (B1, B2, B31, B37, X27, X28, B64, B70, etc.). My next plan to contact Senator Kruger's office about this. I'll keep you posted. :cool:

Sen. Kruger is very anti transit. Long story short was working with couple of friends to extend the (B36) to Kings Plaza.

Plus the anti-NIMBY crowd of that community board serving Mill Basin and Bergen Beach. This was a decade ago so not sure how much has changed.

Never returned phone calls. Plus Sen Kruger was recently accused and I think indicted on corruption charges. Just given you a heads up his office may not be easy to deal with.

Sen. Kruger is very anti transit. Long story short was working with couple of friends to extend the (B36) to Kings Plaza.

Plus the anti-NIMBY crowd of that community board serving Mill Basin and Bergen Beach. This was a decade ago so not sure how much has changed.

Never returned phone calls. Plus Sen Kruger was recently accused and I think indicted on corruption charges. Just given you a heads up his office may not be easy to deal with.

Yes, I'm aware of this, which was why I contacted Golden's office first since most of the B4 runs through his district. Aside from that, I see no need to re-route the B36 all the way to Kings Plaza anyway as the B36 suffers enough from bunching and such. The B3 is sufficient enough for Mill Basin and Bergen Beach folks, plus they have the B41 that does runs over there.

Yes, I'm aware of this, which was why I contacted Golden's office first since most of the B4 runs through his district. Aside from that, I see no need to re-route the B36 all the way to Kings Plaza anyway as the B36 suffers enough from bunching and such. The B3 is sufficient enough for Mill Basin and Bergen Beach folks, plus they have the B41 that does runs over there.

For your information the B3 does as well w/ bunching. The proposal that I worked w/ Brooklyn Bus(Yes I met w/ Alan years ago)was every 2-3rd (B36)bus be extended to Mill Ave daily until around 11pm.

Often the (B3) was so SRO at Nostrand/Ave U (this was around 1999/2000)mainly on weekends you had to wait for another bus. And also take a few cars off Belt pwy since quiet a few people would use taxi/car service from Brighton Beach and Coney Island to get to/from Kings Plaza. That my point.

For your information the B3 does as well w/ bunching. The proposal that I worked w/ Brooklyn Bus(Yes I met w/ Alan years ago)was every 2-3rd (B36)bus be extended to Mill Ave daily until around 11pm.

Often the (B3) was so SRO at Nostrand/Ave U (this was around 1999/2000)mainly on weekends you had to wait for another bus. That my point.

Yeah, I'm aware of the B3 as well, as I used it too. If anything, increase the frequencies of the B3, or have some runs shortened. I used to use the B3 over by Harway Avenue/25th Avenue, and quite frankly it didn't need to go there at all times. I believe some of the B3s just went as far as Avenue U anyway.

Yeah, I'm aware of the B3 as well, as I used it too. If anything, increase the frequencies of the B3, or have some runs shortened. I used to use the B3 over by Harway Avenue/25th Avenue, and quite frankly it didn't need to go there at all times. I believe some of the B3s just went as far as Avenue U anyway.

You mean the (Q) train Ave U station right? If so when i rode the (B3) reguarly about 8-10 years ago, that service there was rush hours only.

It should be expanded to 'short trip' to the (Q) train station at least every other bus Monday-Saturdays until around 8pm. That could be a good way to solve that problem.

Plus years ago around 1995 the (MTA) did propose an extension of selected (about every 2nd-3rd) (B36)to/from Mill Ave and Ave U to help out the (B3).

However it secretly got taken off probably got pressure from the NIMBY's that live near Kings Plaza.

You mean the (Q) train Ave U station right? If so when i rode the (B3) reguarly about 8-10 years ago, that service there was rush hours only.

It should be expanded to 'short trip' to the (Q) train station at least every other bus Monday-Saturdays until around 8pm. That could be a good way to solve that problem.

Plus years ago around 1995 the (MTA) did propose an extension of selected (about every 2nd-3rd) (B36)to/from Mill Ave and Ave U to help out the (B3).

However it secretly got taken off probably got pressure from the NIMBY's that live near Kings Plaza.

No, I was thinking about Ave U. over by where the (D) runs. It isn't that far from Harway Avenue, but I believe that was a "short turn" for some B3s. But yeah, I think they can come up with something better because the bulk of the need is in really going east past Ocean Parkway. They could increase the frequencies where it is needed and do short runs.

This may sound like a radical idea but what about like the BX5 and 12 extension to Orchard Beach, have a couple of (B68) buses extended to Manhattan Beach summer weekends only?

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title....

Only thing is, I wouldn't exactly *split* the 68....

What I mean is, all 68's coming from Pritchard Sq. would still serve Mermaid Loop/terminal....

Only thing is, certain runs during the day (from Mermaid loop) would deadhead over to KCC, and run NB from there.... The rest would continue regular B68 service...

No it's notunderstandable. It's a cop out. The B4 is mostly in Golden's district when you look at the whole route. Kruger will tell you the same thing. Time to talk to whoever else represents the area Cymbrowitz, Nelson, Fidler, etc?

No it's notunderstandable. It's a cop out. The B4 is mostly in Golden's district when you look at the whole route. Kruger will tell you the same thing. Time to talk to whoever else represents the area Cymbrowitz, Nelson, Fidler, etc?

I never understood the congress/state legislatures lines across NYC anyhow. Finally I think Gov. Cuomo and the gang in Albany will try to at least try to create districts based more on actually common sense and not based on politics.

Back to topic. Good point Alan. Golden seems only intrestred in the Manhattan based express buses commuters and not the other regular (MTA) riders.

Also special B49's should run similar to rush hour service added service to Empire Blvd.

That would not be necessary. There really isn't a problem, unless it rains and everyone leaves at he same time.

This to me appears to be a problem with dispatching. A dispatcher should be telling some drivers to leave Kingsborough empty and make their first stop at the beach bus stop. A similar dynamic would also work for the heaviest times at Kingsborough CC, so that customers down the line can get on a bus.

Again, not necessary. Why should the people getting on before Hastings have to miss a bus? They are also coming from the beach area.

It is not even a good idea at KCC dismissal times, because only about 20 people get on in about a half hour after the first stop and half the buses unload at the subway in a few minutes, so the buses are crowded only for a short while. What the dispatchers have been trying to do is have the buses leave KCC not quite full so that others can get on. That makes sense. The problem is that drivers have not been stopping even when half empty.

Good point Alan. Golden seems only intrestred in the Manhattan based express buses commuters and not the other regular (MTA) riders.

It certainly is understandable. Senator Golden fought to have the B70 re-routed to replace the B37 which was lost along 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge. In addition to dealing with the X27 and X28, he is also talking with me about the B2 and B31, so he is not only concerned about the X27 and X28. Besides, what has Kruger or any of the other Senators done to restore local or express bus service?? The B4 runs mainly through the districts that Senator Golden serves, but that strip there along Emmons Avenue belongs to Kruger. I was going to press the issue and write back to the Director of Community Affairs and say that he should take on the B4 because there are folks that do use it from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge. I did many years ago when going from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge or Staten Island, but upon thinking about it, it would be wiser to have other representatives speak up to get lost service back. The more pressure put on the (MTA) from different sources, the more difficult it will be for the (MTA) to not give in.

It certainly is understandable. Senator Golden fought to have the B70 re-routed to replace the B37 which was lost along 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge. In addition to dealing with the X27 and X28, he is also talking with me about the B2 and B31, so he is not only concerned about the X27 and X28. Besides, what has Kruger or any of the other Senators done to restore local or express bus service?? The B4 runs mainly through the districts that Senator Golden serves, but that strip there along Emmons Avenue belongs to Kruger. I was going to press the issue and write back to the Director of Community Affairs and say that he should take on the B4 because there are folks that do use it from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge. I did many years ago when going from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge or Staten Island, but upon thinking about it, it would be wiser to have other representatives speak up to get lost service back. The more pressure put on the (MTA) from different sources, the more difficult it will be for the (MTA) to not give in.

I agree, but doubt it if you get anywhere with Kruger. I bet he will just ignore you and not even give you the courtesy of telling you he won't help you unless you call repeatedly.

My question? You mean it was Golden's idea to reroute the B70? I thought OP thought that up by themselves. I thought it was a good compromise if in fact the northern half of the B37 is not needed which I am not sure about. I know many in Bay Ridge who ere not happy about the B70 being rerouted.

I was going to press the issue and write back to the Director of Community Affairs and say that he should take on the B4 because there are folks that do use it from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge.

Ocean Avenue and Avenue Z are within his district, as is the terminal at Voorhies and Knapp. That makes it his problem + the entire part of the route in Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst where people could begin or end their trips is also in his district.

I agree, but doubt it if you get anywhere with Kruger. I bet he will just ignore you and not even give you the courtesy of telling you he won't help you unless you call repeatedly.

My question? You mean it was Golden's idea to reroute the B70? I thought OP thought that up by themselves. I thought it was a good compromise if in fact the northern half of the B37 is not needed which I am not sure about. I know many in Bay Ridge who ere not happy about the B70 being rerouted.

Call it a consolation prize if you will. Actually he fought to keep the B37 in place because folks especially in Bay Ridge, a district he represents went crazy. Because of the uproar, the (MTA) re-routed the B70 to serve 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge. Quite frankly, you could argue that most of the ridership came from Bay Ridge along 3rd Avenue, hence why they had to replace at least part of the B37, but I think it should be restored fully to take pressure off of the B63 on 5th Avenue, which gets heavy usage, but especially in Bay Ridge.

Call it a consolation prize if you will. Actually he fought to keep the B37 in place because folks especially in Bay Ridge, a district he represents went crazy. Because of the uproar, the (MTA) re-routed the B70 to serve 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge. Quite frankly, you could argue that most of the ridership came from Bay Ridge along 3rd Avenue, hence why they had to replace at least part of the B37, but I think it should be restored fully to take pressure off of the B63 on 5th Avenue, which gets heavy usage, but especially in Bay Ridge.

The (B37) while it nice to restore is not the top of list IMO for service returning from last June Doomsday Cuts.

They include the following IMO in no order. Weekday B39(Essex (J)(M)(F) is not ADA acessible) 7-day B24 service at least along Greenpoint Ave, Q79(weekday only)B51(rush hour only) B64 to Stillwell and B4 to Sheapshead Bay being the top ones.

And even if the (B37) did return it should be a weekday only. The (MTA) was correct in ending overnight/weekend service.

Yet Garibaldi 8 will likely still call for the return of 24/7 B37 when on weekends especially Sunday evenings and overnights there was *zero* riders the entire trip. There is a world outside of SI and Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst and SW Brooklyn.:eek:

Archived